Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been invited by BMW to a special test drive event at Park Lane BMW, London to test drive the BMW i3.

It is an invitation event is for people that have expressed a degree of skepticism on social media and they want the opportunity to change my mind about their new EV.

Of course, always up for a challenge, I have accepted!

The event is on December 13th at Park Lane London and I will be given a thorough introduction and have the chance to drive around the street of London.

I have given my word to them, and I do so also to you, that I will give an honest and unbiased opinion of the car and if they change my mind then I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

I do think that it looks a good EV but my specific doubts surround the viability of the REx to maintain performance particularly at motorway speeds or on long hills.

I am not sure we will get to do that kind of driving around London (!) but we will see :)

Needless to say, I will be Twittering on @Paul_Churchley hopefully with photos if permitted and I will write up the day on my blog with my thoughts.

Can't wait!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Well, that is indeed an interesting opportunity and one has got to praise BMW for risking hosting a 'number' of critics simultaneously! We will hang on your every word!
Drive ON!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes well I changed my mind for sure, the REX is the option to go for at the moment, I am sure you will love the car, I was only in it for an hour BMW should let me have one for 3 days and shoot some video for my youtube channel ;-)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
The event sounds interesting, BMW are masters at PR and persuasion, so if you don't like it then, you may never do!

@knoxie our local dealers have always been good with BMWs and MINIs so far as 24/48 hours test drives go, it's always worth asking.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really looking forward to driving the i3. I so much want to like it and I am pleased that BMW have enetered the market. I think they could win over a lot of people to EVs. So I am not a complete "anti". I just feel that the REX, although a great option to have in case of charger failure or when running low on charge, might not really be up to regular use as a battery alternative in the same way as the Ampera. It is not intended to be like an Ampera as far as I can see. It is intended to be an alternative to the Leaf but with the safety net of the REX.

My fear is that people will try to use it as an Ampera alternative... that is by using the REX as an alternative to the battery on long trips instead of only when necessary (low battery on way to charge or charger failure). I see the BMW as a 100% battery car, it is not an Extended Range-EV (ER-EV) like the Ampera and I think this is where it may fall down.

Used as a 100% BEV (with the safety net of the REX) it looks like a great car albeit pricey (What BMW isn't?) but if used as a ER-EV I feel that it may turn out to go into limited performance mode and it could very easily disappoint.

Can't wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts