Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recent rumours it seems BMW boss has confirmed i3 to continue as it is an icon. Also larger battery on way 👍

“The i3 will continue to be produced, no question about it. The car is already an icon today. Which car can claim this after only six years? Icons tick according to a different logic, they don’t have a classic successor, they always remain true to themselves in essence.”

“We are growing with the i3 every year – in Europe this year by around 20 per cent,” Zipse said. “The investments have been written off, we earn money with every i3. Why in God’s name should we give up this car, which is now at the height of its time? We are sure that the i3 still has great potential.”

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
After recent rumours it seems BMW boss has confirmed i3 to continue as it is an icon. Also larger battery on way 👍

“The i3 will continue to be produced, no question about it. The car is already an icon today. Which car can claim this after only six years? Icons tick according to a different logic, they don’t have a classic successor, they always remain true to themselves in essence.”

“We are growing with the i3 every year – in Europe this year by around 20 per cent,” Zipse said. “The investments have been written off, we earn money with every i3. Why in God’s name should we give up this car, which is now at the height of its time? We are sure that the i3 still has great potential.”

Wonder if we are past the phase where high levels of expensive warranty repairs might have limited the profit margin.

You can see the number of Tech Bulletins issued per year here:

Most design defects should have been corrected by now if BMW are as diligent as the Japanese in continuous improvement (Kaizen) of the product.

I keep finding more and more i3s that have had the front damper gaiters replaced due to splits. Main dealer would not admit it is a known problem but repaired mine under warranty without quibble. Does anybody know if BMW have issued a Tech Bulletin for it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder if we are past the phase where high levels of expensive warranty repairs might have limited the profit margin.

You can see the number of Tech Bulletins issued per year here:

Most design defects should have been corrected by now if BMW are as diligent as the Japanese in continuous improvement (Kaizen) of the product.

I keep finding more and more i3s that have had the front damper gaiters replaced due to splits. Main dealer would not admit it is a known problem but repaired mine under warranty without quibble. Does anybody know if BMW have issued a Tech Bulletin for it?
where are these, any photo? I guess I better keep an eye on my i3s.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
"The next increase will likely see the i3 achieving a range of just over 200 miles | 322 km of range per charge, at which point the range extender becomes a bit redundant. Will BMW drop the range extender option when the new battery arrives? My guess is yes, but time will tell."

When was this written? Thought they already had in the UK!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I received the survey on the 21st October.

The questions relate to what I find most important about the i3, one of the option was the mileage.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
where are these, any photo? I guess I better keep an eye on my i3s.
You really need the car up on a hoist to see clearly. An MOT should pick it up and if the split is small then it will not be an MOT fail. However if the split is large (say a year later) then it will be an MOT fail. The gaiter, over the damper, is inside the coil suspension spring.

If the car is still in three year from delivery warranty do the first MOT with a BMW main dealer and have the free end of warranty check done at the same time. Then if the gaiters are split you can have them replaced under the warranty (either the three year manufactures warranty or the one year secondhand dealers warranty if you are second owner). Leave it until the second MOT comes due and you will be paying for the gaiters to be replaced - but any good local garage can do that for you at lower cost than a BMW main dealer since it is a mechanical job that does not involve electrics. It is a three hour job to do both at the front.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
"The next increase will likely see the i3 achieving a range of just over 200 miles | 322 km of range per charge, at which point the range extender becomes a bit redundant. Will BMW drop the range extender option when the new battery arrives? My guess is yes, but time will tell."

When was this written? Thought they already had in the UK!
Article written from a US perspective where they still have the REx as an option on the 120Ah.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I received the survey on the 21st October.

The questions relate to what I find most important about the i3, one of the option was the mileage.
I replied saying if they could shoehorn a 300 mile battery in by utilising the space / weight left by the Rex I'd be buying a new one (y)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
You really need the car up on a hoist to see clearly. An MOT should pick it up and if the split is small then it will not be an MOT fail. However if the split is large (say a year later) then it will be an MOT fail. The gaiter, over the damper, is inside the coil suspension spring.

If the car is still in three year from delivery warranty do the first MOT with a BMW main dealer and have the free end of warranty check done at the same time. Then if the gaiters are split you can have them replaced under the warranty (either the three year manufactures warranty or the one year secondhand dealers warranty if you are second owner). Leave it until the second MOT comes due and you will be paying for the gaiters to be replaced - but any good local garage can do that for you at lower cost than a BMW main dealer since it is a mechanical job that does not involve electrics. It is a three hour job to do both at the front.
I managed to find out some more about the split gaiter issue today. Quite common - caused by an under estimation of the amount of lateral twist the rubber is subjected to when the suspension is worked hard i.e. on bad UK roads. The replacement gaiters are make of better rubber. At the moment don't know when or if the gaiters fitted at first assembly have been improved. Some cars had split gaiters within a year of use. So once the car has been repaired the problem should not reappear. Aware of the problem on cars made until and including 2016. It might affect later cars. Not been able to access any BMW tech bulletin about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts