Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe not an award you've heard of before, but a press release just in has announced the BMW i3 has won the title of Production Interior Vehicle Design of the Year.

The Automotive Interiors Expo Award 2014 makes the third anniversary of the awards and were held on 24th June in Stuttgart. The awards "recognise exceptionally innovative concepts and solutions in the field of interior design".

Here's some photos of the i3 interior for your viewing pleasure:

bmw-i3-interior.jpg

bmw-i3-interior-3.jpg

bmw-i3-interior-2.jpg

·
Registered
394 Posts
Before they launched the car last summer they let journalists drive it but they weren't allowed to show pictures of the interior. Chris Harris had this to say...

"BMW will not release pictures of the cabin until 29 July, which is a crying shame because I think it's showroom gold. It re-casts the relationship between driver and controls in the cleverest way I've seen in years. People will sit in this car and want it."

I remember being excited to find out what that actually meant. Although it turned out that it wasn't exactly something from The Fifth Element I think it's a product of a very thoughtful design process and it's a lovely place to sit IMO. I'm a big fan of the simple, uncluttered layout.

Another pic for your viewing pleasure :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, that last photo on your post shows the kenaf fibre panel that has drawn a fair bit of criticism (also on part of the door panels). I don't think it looks that bad but if you tap it then it sounds very thin and doesn't really give you a high quality feel. There's also no way of avoiding it as it's included in all 4 of the interior options that you can specify. I wouldn't be surprised if this was changed when they facelift the i3.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, that last photo on your post shows the kenaf fibre panel that has drawn a fair bit of criticism (also on part of the door panels). I don't think it looks that bad but if you tap it then it sounds very thin and doesn't really give you a high quality feel. There's also no way of avoiding it as it's included in all 4 of the interior options that you can specify. I wouldn't be surprised if this was changed when they facelift the i3.
In my opinion, not only do these panels feel cheap, they look cheap. It's like having plain chip board for your coffee table. It spoils an otherwise pleasing dash.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
It was the i3 that got me interested in EVs. I hadn't noticed the door panels until my wife pointed them out. They're made from recycled plastic bottles. Environmentally sound...but they look like packing crates! Unless of course you upgrade...which is what BMW are all about. They'd charge extra for the steering wheel if they could get away with it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's a gorgeous interior, I love it. Devil to dust though :p
It has swoopy surfaces and groves like my Ampera does, they love the dust...

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
The packing material is an odd choice, but to be honest its grown on me.

The i3 is surprisingly easy to vacuum given the flat floor across the front and the door layout. Not something I usually consider :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts