·
Banned
558 Posts
Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
394 Posts
The exact votes are here.

It's encouraging for the EV's to take 2nd and 3rd but I've seen it suggested that by both of them making the final 7 they split the vote and would probably have done better on their own. Who knows !

·
Banned
558 Posts
... I've seen it suggested that by both of them making the final 7 they split the vote and would probably have done better on their own.. !
Maybe, but the 1st and 4th were from PSA Group - so without the Peugeot, the Citroen might have won! To be beaten, by a Citroen Picasso, that would have been ignominy!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it just me who always thinks that cars winning these things as or before they're released is a little premature? Should be on the market a set minimum, so if they're any good in "real life" can be considered too?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is it just me who always thinks that cars winning these things as or before they're released is a little premature? Should be on the market a set minimum, so if they're any good in "real life" can be considered too?
There are some minimum requirements (e.g. more than 5k sales required to qualify). Technically everything is known about the cars and they've all been thoroughly road tested so I'm not sure what else can be learnt by waiting longer ?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quite a lot, I've seen many things go quite wrong during first year sales that I think could change opinions.

I feel there should be more "real world" testing and customer satisfaction considered. Sort of JD Power meets COTY to give a nice rounded result.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Has anyone here been over to the pistonheads forums? They're going nuts for the i3 over there.

It appears to have captured the imagination of people who wouldn't normally consider an EV - which can only be a good thing for the EV cause. I'll wager that some of the people buying an i3 as a second car will soon find themselves barely ever using the ICE sat in the garage...!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Has anyone here been over to the pistonheads forums? They're going nuts for the i3 over there.

It appears to have captured the imagination of people who wouldn't normally consider an EV - which can only be a good thing for the EV cause. I'll wager that some of the people buying an i3 as a second car will soon find themselves barely ever using the ICE sat in the garage...!
Yes, it's great isn't it ? I'm a long term member of PH (since 2002) and am absolutely loving how the general forum viewpoint on EVs has developed recently. Six months ago it was a very different story and there were some shockingly aggressive threads where anyone considering an EV came under a barrage but a lot of effort was put in by quite a few people including some intelligent engineers and knowledgeable owners who have countered the usual criticism with a lot of detail and bit by bit good progress has been made. We are now at the point where we have our own EV section of the forum (created in December).

PH has always been about the fun of driving so there isn't anywhere near as much indepth analysis of EV topics as on here (such as charge point etiquette) but the main point is that EVs are now being recognised as a fun option. For example, if you look at the list of i3 owners and check out their other cars owned there is some very impressive machinery which is really encouraging IMO as it's clearly showing that the EV option is something to be seriously considered. I know you guys here have known that for years, but on PH it's a very new thing :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
<off-topic warning>

I really hope that people see our discussions here as friendly even if they are detailed and sometimes contrary :)

In fact, it is often the threads where one person has a clear and firm view on something and others disagree that are the most interesting. The key for me is to keep it as friendly as possible and to disagree with respect. That seems to happen here and it is through the sensible stewardship of the forum by @Paul that means this forum does not have the mud-slinging, insulting feel of some other EV forums.

</off-topic warning>

Back on topic...

I have always wondered why the awards are handed out without some time in the real world. The Nissan Leaf and teh Vauxhall Ampera both won awards as soon as they launched.

I think that, on the whole, the awards seem to be given for design not success in the market and so in respect it makes sense perhaps.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I think this is about 80% because it's BMW and all that brings with it, 15% rex option, and 5% for other reasons.

I also think this was entirely predictable and brilliant in equal measures.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a very common sentiment from LEAF owners it seems.
I make that comment as someone who's driven many BMWs at press and media events, owned six BMW built MINIs, driven the MINI E and spoken to those involved with the mega city project from a very early stage and has a huge respect and interest in how they build and market cars.

They're very good at all angles of the car biz, including many unseen by those outside the industry, and as I've said before and will keep saying, they simply would not let this fail and I think it's for the good of all EVs they've entered the market how they have.

People are only looking at it as it's a BMW I'm sure, I would, I don't judge people for that or think its a bad thing, so don't judge me because me because my first EV happened to be Nissan either, please. ;)

Oh, and I know such people (who never would look at the Nissan, Renault, GM EVs, just "because"), BMW have drawn them in.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I came from a Programme Management background into the role I have now and the BMW i programme, for which I have had some backstage access, simply ticks the boxes for how to build a compelling proposition - the main box being programme sponsorship. The UK execs I've spoken to are intimately familiar with the detail, which is always a sign of buy-in. It's no coincidence that the two (old world - not including Tesla) OEMs with the best products in market are the two who have made the public commitment and unequivocally stand behind it at the highest levels.

Reactions: Andy and Paul

·
Registered
394 Posts
People are only looking at it as it's a BMW I'm sure, I would, I don't judge people for that or think its a bad thing, so don't judge me because me because my first EV happened to be Nissan either, please. ;)
Nope, I don't and I won't but please excuse my skepticism whenever anyone makes this suggestion. I think it's got more to do with what they want to believe themselves than the reality.

It's just another one of those subjects where we can agree to disagree. There seems to be quite a lot of threads which end with that phrase, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts