Votes: 176 39.9%
  • If I had an i3 I'd probably go without REx

Votes: 91 20.6%

• Total voters
321 - 339 of 339 Posts

·
CTiD
405 Posts
Based on my experience (a year next month) I would have chosen the 94Ah BEV I think.. I certainly would for the 120Ah

I have used the Rex very infrequently "because it's there" and because I was a little lazy re charging in the early days as I got used to the car and the EV lifestyle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So no REX then Bluemanc - as long as one gets the 94 or 120.

Looking at the 'used' ads it is surprisingly hard to work out which are 94 or 120 or anything.

And looking for a 3s is even harder.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
2nd hand the REX is a risk, as they can be costly if they go wrong, with no one other then the main dealer knowing how to fit them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks ringi.

Sounds like good advice. A pal of mine has two Teslas and he keeps telling me there is so little to go wrong.
Add an ICE and you must be adding trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in a very similar situation, would like some wisdoms
I am going to change my 420i GC soon, looking at approved use i3 94ah
It seem the used market is dominate by Rex, I do 74ish mile a day, in theory the BEV should be just fine, but my journey is almost 99% motorway and 70mph A road. Would I be wiser to pick the Rex
Rex supposed to hold stronger value than BEV, but in approved used, there are none 94 BEV below my 20k budget, while there are tons from trade and privte sale, seem unwise to run a i3 without factory warrenty

·
Registered
302 Posts
You'd be wiser to slow down a bit with the BEV when it's cold / wet / windy. Starting off fully charged and pre-warmed in the morning will help. Once you get used to how the range varies with condition, you can speed up where appropriate. I've slowed down a lot since changing to a BEV.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,591 Posts
It seem the used market is dominate by Rex, I do 74ish mile a day, in theory the BEV should be just fine, but my journey is almost 99% motorway and 70mph A road. Would I be wiser to pick the Rex
Rex supposed to hold stronger value than BEV, but in approved used, there are none 94 BEV below my 20k budget, while there are tons from trade and privte sale, seem unwise to run a i3 without factory warrenty

For that journey profile a 94Ah BEV would be fine, in he summer I could do that in my 60Ah easily without using the REX, are there any charging opportunities along the route just in case, check out Zap Map or Plug Share etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,146 Posts

We have an i3s 94Ah with REx only because it was cheaper on lease. I suspect BMW ran targeted lease programs with hidden discounts on the Range Extender.

In 10 months, I've used the Rex for real one time. Even then we were only on petrol for about 20 miles. I could have plugged the car into an AC rapid charger and refilled at 11kW. We wouldn't have been stranded, just slowed down by a non-working CCS DC charger.

My overal preference is still pure BEV but having the Range Extender does simplify planning. I'm less risk averse. If a charger doesn't work, I can rely on the REx.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Rex is really useful and have no issues at all since owning the car, 6 months. The rex back up has enabled me to shift to EV use without having a home charger.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
The rex back up has enabled me to shift to EV use without having a home charger.
That's a really important point for the adoption of EVs, overlooked by those of us who have home charging. The near future for mass adoption has to be a decent battery with a range extender ICE that only charges the battery.

It may not suit the purist but the rate of adoption of a more workable solution of plug -in electric supported by small ICE charging may mean annual transport CO2 emissions comes down faster than holding out until pure BEV costs fall and on-street fast and rapid charging gets sorted out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went for the REX edition 9 months ago and am thoroughly delighted with the car. I’ve used the generator on a few occasions where it has been convenient to do so - I probably could have found public charging but with REX I didn’t need to. The network of charge places in Scotland is really pretty good.

One point to bear in mind is that the REX edition, if ‘17 plate or later, is not classed as a zero emission vehicle, therefore it’s liable to the £140 road tax fee in the UK. I was very surprised when I discovered this - the Parks BMW certainly weren’t aware, or forgot to tell me. Seems crazy when you consider the VERY occasional use and the 16g carbon emission of the generator.

However, even had I known I’d still have gone for the REX. My only concern now is - with Scotland considering a “green number plate” scheme for EVs - will the REX qualify should the scheme come to fruition...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just bought a 2018 94ah i3s Rex - used the Rex on the journey home from picking it up (300 miles) due to one non-working CCS on the motorway. Once I got to the next charger I didn't use it and I've not used it in the 3 weeks I've owned it.

i would have preferred a 120ah BEV but this was so well priced it was impossible to turn down.

The RFL is £455 a year which is not good but this will be a long term car, so once the 1st 5 years are up it will drop to £135 I think and I rationalise this by the lack of fuel bought and a reduction in my insurance premiums - (-£70 per year so far)

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I've just bought a 2018 94ah i3s Rex - used the Rex on the journey home from picking it up (300 miles) due to one non-working CCS on the motorway. Once I got to the next charger I didn't use it and I've not used it in the 3 weeks I've owned it.

i would have preferred a 120ah BEV but this was so well priced it was impossible to turn down.

The RFL is £455 a year which is not good but this will be a long term car, so once the 1st 5 years are up it will drop to £135 I think and I rationalise this by the lack of fuel bought and a reduction in my insurance premiums - (-£70 per year so far)
Good choice. One duff CCS and you're chasing round for chargers in the BEV but with the REx you just keep going.

Keep track of time with the REx: if you're getting near the maintenance cycle you might want to turn it on manually for a mile or two instead. That way you can run it at speed and not have it start up loudly just as you arrive at your destination. No real harm of course if you don't do this.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
However, even had I known I’d still have gone for the REX. My only concern now is - with Scotland considering a “green number plate” scheme for EVs - will the REX qualify should the scheme come to fruition...
As the REx was withdrawn from the UK market et al because it failed EU emission tests, I suspect that there is a real possibility that the authorities will look less favourably on Hybrid electrical cars in zero emission areas. Time will tell.

As an aside, I am now on my second i3 and the one thing that I do not miss is the REx. It was an added level of complexity and risk that I am happy to be without. ( £10k for an out of warranty replacement rather concentrates the mind).

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
As the REx was withdrawn from the UK market et al because it failed EU emission tests, I suspect that there is a real possibility that the authorities will look less favourably on Hybrid electrical cars in zero emission areas. Time will tell.

As an aside, I am now on my second i3 and the one thing that I do not miss is the REx. It was an added level of complexity and risk that I am happy to be without. ( £10k for an out of warranty replacement rather concentrates the mind).
Oxford's proposed zero emission zone FAQ says:

"Under current proposals, vehicles which meet the government’s eligibility criteria for plug in vehicle grant will be allowed in the zone free of charge."

So as it stands the i3 REx would qualify but plug-in hybrids will not.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Totally forget the battery only I3 and get it out of your mind.

Why would anyone want tyo put themselves though that much pain and suffrage worrying about sitting in a strange unprotected place for an hour with your $60,000 BMW as low life's roam closely by picking up butts from the curb.

Bottom line Charging should be accomplished in the safety of your home!

Best Regards - Mike

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Totally forget the battery only I3 and get it out of your mind.

Why would anyone want tyo put themselves though that much pain and suffrage worrying about sitting in a strange unprotected place for an hour with your $60,000 BMW as low life's roam closely by picking up butts from the curb.

Bottom line Charging should be accomplished in the safety of your home!

Best Regards - Mike
An idiot.

321 - 339 of 339 Posts