• If I had an i3 I'd probably get REx

Votes: 185 38.1%
  • If I had an i3 I'd probably go without REx

Votes: 100 20.6%
341 - 360 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
A few years ago, this post was full of smug REX owners saying how wonderful: now it's swung the other way with people realising that for most cases, hybrids just combine the worst of ICE and BEV.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,494 Posts
Oxford's proposed zero emission zone FAQ says:

"Under current proposals, vehicles which meet the government’s eligibility criteria for plug in vehicle grant will be allowed in the zone free of charge."

So as it stands the i3 REx would qualify but plug-in hybrids will not.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
That's a really pragmatic approach from the council for a change, the REX must be the most misunderstood EV out there apart from the Ampera.

·
Leaf lover
4,831 Posts
A few years ago, this post was full of smug REX owners saying how wonderful: now it's swung the other way with people realising that for most cases, hybrids just combine the worst of ICE and BEV.
Interesting comment. This is an old thread which had me respond with a smug ".........I'd probably go without Rex" when it first appeared here. However after 5 years with a Leaf in September 2016 I leased an i3 with REX and have felt even smugger since then. So much so that I extended the lease two more years, it is that good a vehicle.
What is wrong with doing 95% of your mileage electric and not having to wear a hair-shirt?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The one biggest advantage of the I3 is its generator offering - no genny no I3 - can't deal with range problems and sitting in strange places for hours at a time with low-life's walking by.

The only safe place to charge is Home!

Mike

·
Leaf lover
4,831 Posts
As you have eloquently stated, nothing wrong with a bit of smug. The REX version is obviously a great fit for you usage.
A REX version of every road vehicle would obviously be a great fit for everybody's usage and had Toyota switched from parallel hybrids to series hybrids a decade or two ago we would all be participating in a far further advanced evolution rather than the awkward limited revolution we have now.
The only thing we can be thankful of in the absence of that switch, is the progress of Tesla.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's important to know that you can't think for a second that there is no such thing as worrying about range regardless of what you drive because you'll be sadly mistaken, Tesla suffers just like every other manufacturer. If you don't live in the city a battery only car is a problem. There is an absence of chargers in remote towns anything other than local driving is still a problem.

Regards

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whoa, hadn't looked at this thread until today. It would be cool to see how the responses have changed over time, as the i3 battery increased in capacity from 60Ah to 120.

I probably fell into the REX camp before I really even considered the i3 because I mistakenly figured 200+ miles was a requisite. But I didn't even give consideration to the i3 while I was eNiro shopping, and when I did, I took a good long look at my daily driving history as recorded by Google Maps.

I realized my personal presumptions were flat out wrong, and that the 94Ah battery would offer me more than sufficient range for 99%+ of my days. A public charger could give me a fast boost if needed.

For me, it's not range anxiety, it's range management. Happy to have one less gas engine to maintain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 120 I3 and its my best electric yet even better than my Ipace I can leave out for the day and never worry about finding a charger or planning my day because I'm limited on miles.

Stay Safe - Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
REX b/c I have a 2016 which is the 60ah one. I typically have a 70+ mile commute so it's helpful that I don't have to rely on public charging generally being hogged up by people who don't need it (like 220+ mile range Teslas that only drive 40mi a day but somehow need 220mi/day).

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing you're not going to do on a I3 is stick another tank somewhere unless you have your act together - the system is pressurized and monitored by the processor. I know a few guys who failed on this attempt. The best deal is to find a "Metal Can" and bungee it to the front compartment.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have just bought an I3 Rex 94ah model, we have had two Honda Hybrids and decided to that this car gave us what we wanted from a car. We do have an Aixam mega city e but that is my runabout and charged purely from solar. For my allotment duties I have an Aixam mega truck e, I converted them both to Lithium for better range and quicker charging

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Funny, six years ago I answered
If I had an i3 I'd probably go without REx

I was driving a 24kWh LEAF at the time and didn't see a reason to have REx. That has bore out as the early REx i3's are very troublesome.

Today I have a i3s 94Ah REx because it was less expensive to lease than a BEV. I've had the car nearly two years and used the REx maybe 3 times.

If I was going to get another my first choice would be an i3s 120Ah BEV. Problem is the current prices are too high. I'd doubt we will get another one.

·
Registered
BMW i3 120Ah
1 Posts
We have a “third owner” 2019 120Ah i3 BEV with 20k on the clock - initially registered by BMW and then by someone who only kept it 2 months. Cost was just over £20k.
Had it about a month, and done a few long trips (250mi+) in it, with very few problems.
Lots of local 15-25 mile runs around.
It’s a great car, and I really don’t know why we didn’t consider a full BEV earlier. We had an Outlander PHEV before it.
The i3 is fun to drive and normally with just two of us, we find the size ideal. Elderly folks like the access without the B pillar, and I tend to throw bags and things into that area too - since there’s plenty of floor space back there.
I’m 6’2” tall and a big farmer, but I fit in it just fine. I also have a big 4.4 litre diesel Range Rover Vogue SE (Tier 6) but since the i3 arrived it’s only had use in heavy snow!
I may have to consider another i3!
Seems we get 140-170mi on a full charge in comfort mode and that’s me driving without much restraint. I actually prefer the throttle response in the ECO Pro mode most of the time - just a bit easier. That said, the i3 can be very whizzy like an old hot hatchback when it wants to...
95% of time the i3 is charged at home at between 11kW and 22kW. (we have 40kW of PV at home and 100kWh of storage - on a 3 phase farm supply) - we vary the rate and timing of charge to use the cheapest source and co-ordinate that with our journeys. We always keep it fully charged, and nearly always pre-condition the car before leaving. Great on a cold winter morning!
So having come from a hybrid - would I add a Rex to the car if I could?
No.
I really can’t see that we’d ever really need to use it, and rapid chargers are now springing up everywhere, (and we’re rural in the NW of England).
For longer journeys I tend to plan around InstaVolt chargers if I can - they always seem to work. If only someone got Ecotricity replaced at services by InstaVolt - or something that works - life would be even easier!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve been doing 200+ mile day trips to Dorset quite a bit lately (Looking for a house as mine is sold) and tbh, if I had’nt had a REX I wouldn’t have been able to do it, as the charging network down there is appalling, hardly any
fast chargers and of those available, there’s been ones that don’t work and que’s to charge. Just on the way back from Cornwall and Devon and have had the same problems, but having the Rex has been a godsend. Travelling when the weather is very cold has higblighted how much the cold and having a heater on kills range.

All those who use your i3’s local won’t understand, but those of us who use the cars on a daily basis for long journeys need bmw (and other manufacturers) to offer a car that will do 250 mile plus and a decent charge network like Tesla has. The solstice service station on the 303 is a fine example, 2 chargers for us and tesla has installed 16.

·
Registered
BMW i3
34 Posts
I’ve been doing 200+ mile day trips to Dorset quite a bit lately (Looking for a house as mine is sold) and tbh, if I had’nt had a REX I wouldn’t have been able to do it, as the charging network down there is appalling, hardly any
fast chargers and of those available, there’s been ones that don’t work and que’s to charge. Just on the way back from Cornwall and Devon and have had the same problems, but having the Rex has been a godsend. Travelling when the weather is very cold has higblighted how much the cold and having a heater on kills range.

All those who use your i3’s local won’t understand, but those of us who use the cars on a daily basis for long journeys need bmw (and other manufacturers) to offer a car that will do 250 mile plus and a decent charge network like Tesla has. The solstice service station on the 303 is a fine example, 2 chargers for us and tesla has installed 16.
Recently changed my 2017 Leaf for a 2016 i3 with Rex. Had to get a pre-April 2017 model since the government slapped a punishing £500 vehicle tax on electric cars costing >40k when new. Crazy or what?
The leaf was good, but limited range. I wanted Rex since using the uk infrastructure is like playing snakes and ladders - “out of order, broken, sorry internet problems, app doesn’t work, go back 10 squares”.
Pity BMW has prematurely removed the Rex from later models.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Recently changed my 2017 Leaf for a 2016 i3 with Rex. Had to get a pre-April 2017 model since the government slapped a punishing £500 vehicle tax on electric cars costing >40k when new. Crazy or what?
The leaf was good, but limited range. I wanted Rex since using the uk infrastructure is like playing snakes and ladders - “out of order, broken, sorry internet problems, app doesn’t work, go back 10 squares”.
We have a sept 2017 I3 Rex with leather etc and the tax is 140 ish per year, the difference in prices between road tax free and ours meant that ours was a 1K cheaper bargain

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Had to get a pre-April 2017 model since the government slapped a punishing £500 vehicle tax on electric cars costing >40k when new. Crazy or what?
BMW still make the i3 with Range Extender. They just don't sell it in the UK.

Did you know the luxury tax only applies an i3 with the Range Extender? Pure EVs are exempt. i3 REx has a double hit. It does not have a zero car tax like a BEV i3 would and they are over £40,000MSRP and subject to the £335 luxury tax. The extra tax is likely one of the reasons why BMW discontinued the range extender for the UK when the 120Ah car came out.

The £335 luxury tax is only for the first 5 years. After that the car tax drops to £145, the rate for any PHEV.

I have a 2018 94Ah i3s with REx. In 2 1/2 years, I've needed the Range Extender maybe three times. If I had the current 120Ah battery I would never need it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
BMW still make the i3 with Range Extender. They just don't sell it in the UK.

Did you know the luxury tax only applies an i3 with the Range Extender? Pure EVs are exempt. i3 REx has a double hit. It does not have a zero car tax like a BEV i3 would and they are over £40,000MSRP and subject to the £335 luxury tax. The extra tax is likely one of the reasons why BMW discontinued the range extender for the UK when the 120Ah car came out.

The £335 luxury tax is only for the first 5 years. After that the car tax drops to £145, the rate for any PHEV.

I have a 2018 94Ah i3s with REx. In 2 1/2 years, I've needed the Range Extender maybe three times. If I had the current 120Ah battery I would never need it.

No luxury tax on mine so it must ave been below the 40k when new?

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
No luxury tax on mine so it must ave been below the 40k when new?
MSRP bellow £40k, first sold before April 2017, or pure BEV would all be exempt from luxury tax. As I recall there were a few ways to get an i3 Rex and stay just under 40k MSRP. There was thread on the topic when the car tax changes were annouced.

Mine has the tax, but it is rolled into the lease payments. The lease has such a large discount that I don't really notice. The next owner will have to pay the tax for two years.

More or less. It takes time for cars to go through the lease return process and find a new owner. I doubt it will sit for a year, but that might happen.

341 - 360 of 373 Posts