• If I had an i3 I'd probably get REx

Votes: 185 38.1%
  • If I had an i3 I'd probably go without REx

Votes: 100 20.6%
361 - 373 of 373 Posts

·
The best there is at what I do
10,494 Posts
Recently changed my 2017 Leaf for a 2016 i3 with Rex. Had to get a pre-April 2017 model since the government slapped a punishing £500 vehicle tax on electric cars costing >40k when new. Crazy or what?
The leaf was good, but limited range. I wanted Rex since using the uk infrastructure is like playing snakes and ladders - “out of order, broken, sorry internet problems, app doesn’t work, go back 10 squares”.
Pity BMW has prematurely removed the Rex from later models.
The government and Mitsubishi, Toyota etc killed the REX, the concept is unbelievably simple and works, the lazy government just lumped it in with all the other perpetual engined machines, its a pity the government didn't do the same as Milton Keynes and include hybrids that could do at least 70 miles as electric vehicles because thats what they are, the REX should have had a one gallon tank to stop people from using it for long periods on dino juice.

I feel an opportunity has been lost by making the REX a hybrid, if it was classed as an EV with an Emergency Range Extender it would have allowed people to make the transition without worrying about range anxiety and I could see a lot of manufacturers developing their own versions.

What we have now is a ridiculous situations whereby I will be charged for driving into Oxford when it is physically impossible for me to use my REX, talk about being punished for a crime that I haven't even committed, I'm sure that Oxford Council have broken the law, if we were still in the EU I think I would be going to court over this because they appear to be in breach of Artical 48.

·
10,494 Posts
The current i3 has double the battery capacity of your i3 and the Range Extender is far less important.
Over the last 6 or 7 years the number of available chargers has increased dramatically, one we get rid of the EcoT EH availability and reliability at MSAs will go through the roof, long distance travel in a 60Ah BEV will be entirely possible albeit with a slight time liability but not much if the correct strategy is adopted.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Depending on rapid charging is still a high risk, for example it only takes one company having a problem to make the Lake District very hard.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
The government and Mitsubishi, Toyota etc killed the REX, the concept is unbelievably simple and works, the lazy government just lumped it in with all the other perpetual engined machines, its a pity the government didn't do the same as Milton Keynes and include hybrids that could do at least 70 miles as electric vehicles because thats what they are, the REX should have had a one gallon tank to stop people from using it for long periods on dino juice.

I feel an opportunity has been lost by making the REX a hybrid, if it was classed as an EV with an Emergency Range Extender it would have allowed people to make the transition without worrying about range anxiety and I could see a lot of manufacturers developing their own versions.

What we have now is a ridiculous situations whereby I will be charged for driving into Oxford when it is physically impossible for me to use my REX, talk about being punished for a crime that I haven't even committed, I'm sure that Oxford Council have broken the law, if we were still in the EU I think I would be going to court over this because they appear to be in breach of Artical 48.
You knew this and still purchased the car????

·
Registered
BMW i3
34 Posts
Over the last 6 or 7 years the number of available chargers has increased dramatically, one we get rid of the EcoT EH availability and reliability at MSAs will go through the roof, long distance travel in a 60Ah BEV will be entirely possible albeit with a slight time liability but not much if the correct strategy is adopted.
I am told they have improved a lot, so must have been really bad 6 or 7 years ago. I first used an EV (2017 Leaf Tecna) in August 2020. It is a nice car, with lots of extras, but mileage limited to 100 on full charge. For most trips, especially with Covid19, that was plenty. The few times I went longer distances, I found that attempts at charging away from home succeeded only 50% of the time. The worst experience was a camping weekend near Buxton. The Peak District is terrible for chargers. I went to Morrisons in Buxton for a charge one morning, only to find that the chargers were broken. I reported it, said they'd send someone out, but when I looked online, it seemed it had been bust for a year, reported many times, and no-one ever came to fix it. Off to Chapel-en-le-Frith where there was another charger. Couldn't make that give out any power at all, despite it claiming to be "on". Phoned the number given for help - no reply. I emailed Peak District National Park to ask why there were so few functioning chargers in their area, given they were always complaining about too much air pollution from tourists' cars. They said there were difficulties with power supplies and wifi in the area. I wondered why the Morrisons charger had been dead for so long, and was told that companies didn't make enough money go keep sending out engineers. Seems not many people used the chargers - I wonder why?
My wife suffered from range anxiety after this and similar events, and said EV cars were good enough for round town only, and was not prepared for the adventures of a long journey, even when I said I had a plan A, B and C for finding chargers that worked and were not occupied!
I know batteries are getting larger now, and the Kia Niro seems the best bet within a reasonable budget, but it is a larger car than we want.
My son bought a 2014 BMW i3 Rex recently, and has driven long journeys through Wales, with a combination of AC charging and using the rex to cover gaps. He got rid of his other IC car when he realised he could go anywhere in it without a problem. It is still a great car, even if 7 years old, and the acceleration is brilliant, so I decided to trade in the Leaf and give a try. I am delighted with it so far.
One day getting a charge at any service station will be as easy as filling up with fuel - simply put your debit card in a slot "you may spend up to £99 for fuel", and just charge up. No apps, no deposits, no paying upfront, no waiting until someone comes back from their meal in the service station.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
The Peak District is terrible for chargers.
The work around is accommodation with charging. I found several when we planned a trip there.

Don't discount destination charging. We just drove our i3 from Anglesey to Liverpool and back without needing the REx or a rapid charger.

·
10,494 Posts
I am told they have improved a lot, so must have been really bad 6 or 7 years ago. I first used an EV (2017 Leaf Tecna) in August 2020. It is a nice car, with lots of extras, but mileage limited to 100 on full charge. For most trips, especially with Covid19, that was plenty. The few times I went longer distances, I found that attempts at charging away from home succeeded only 50% of the time. The worst experience was a camping weekend near Buxton. The Peak District is terrible for chargers. I went to Morrisons in Buxton for a charge one morning, only to find that the chargers were broken. I reported it, said they'd send someone out, but when I looked online, it seemed it had been bust for a year, reported many times, and no-one ever came to fix it. Off to Chapel-en-le-Frith where there was another charger. Couldn't make that give out any power at all, despite it claiming to be "on". Phoned the number given for help - no reply. I emailed Peak District National Park to ask why there were so few functioning chargers in their area, given they were always complaining about too much air pollution from tourists' cars. They said there were difficulties with power supplies and wifi in the area. I wondered why the Morrisons charger had been dead for so long, and was told that companies didn't make enough money go keep sending out engineers. Seems not many people used the chargers - I wonder why?
My wife suffered from range anxiety after this and similar events, and said EV cars were good enough for round town only, and was not prepared for the adventures of a long journey, even when I said I had a plan A, B and C for finding chargers that worked and were not occupied!
I know batteries are getting larger now, and the Kia Niro seems the best bet within a reasonable budget, but it is a larger car than we want.
My son bought a 2014 BMW i3 Rex recently, and has driven long journeys through Wales, with a combination of AC charging and using the rex to cover gaps. He got rid of his other IC car when he realised he could go anywhere in it without a problem. It is still a great car, even if 7 years old, and the acceleration is brilliant, so I decided to trade in the Leaf and give a try. I am delighted with it so far.
One day getting a charge at any service station will be as easy as filling up with fuel - simply put your debit card in a slot "you may spend up to £99 for fuel", and just charge up. No apps, no deposits, no paying upfront, no waiting until someone comes back from their meal in the service station.
Most of what you here is lies, Dale Vince is the master of spin, he's not interested in the enviroment he's only interested inhimself, check out the companies he is part of, the same as Toddington, there is no Gridserve its just a placeholder.

Dale Vince was claiming something like 98.8% availabitity, the thing is only around 66% of MSAs had CCS, you can't measuer something that doesn't exist not unless your names Dale Vince.

As for reliability his figures put reliability at almost 100% its strange that in another independant survey his company cm ns smss./ak

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Why would you want to charge your car at a service station. That's like buying gas for your BBQ at a coal pit.

361 - 373 of 373 Posts