Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new i3s only a month ago and been using a rapid charge 50kWh charging point nearby until today when my home charger was installed.

This is a project EV 7kWh charger which I setup and works fine. However once plugged in I saw that the vehicle projected 100% battery in 11 hours time which to me seemed more in line with a 3kWh charger.

I checked the details of the charger and they definitely were that of a 7kWh charger and when I checked the project EV app, it said the charger was charging at 15.5 amps (not the 32 amps I was expecting).

Something else I also noticed was when I used a Source London public charging point which said it was 7kWh also charged the car at half the speed.

The charging cable supplied by BMW definitely states 32 amp on it so I’m really confused and frustrated.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I bought a brand new i3s only a month ago
Take it back to the dealer and get them to resolve the issue.

@Cabbage Patch has almost certainly got the correct reason but the dealers need to stop sending the cars out incorrectly configured and owners resolving the issue themselves will never make them learn.

You have tried two seperate locations and charger and the rest of the kit is BMW so make them earn their pennies.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As above, check the car settings. I always have charging rate set to maximum, the only time it should be reduced is if you're using a 3kw charger or the granny charger I think.

When I bought my i3 from BMW they did give me a tutorial on charging speeds etc. You'd think by now all salesmen should be up to speed on how the i3 works, it's been around long enough!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
@Cabbage Patch has almost certainly got the correct reason but the dealers need to stop sending the cars out incorrectly configured and owners resolving the issue themselves will never make them learn.

I am not sure that I agree. In my opinion, BMW takes the sensible route of defaulting new cars to the lowest EVSE settings as it has no idea whether the owner intends to install a 3.6 or 7.2kW charger or, if the 13 amp Granny charger is going to be used, the condition of the circuit that it is going to be used on. The problem is that either the new owner doesn't want to wait for a full briefing, or the sales person lacks the specific vehicle knowledge to do so.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
We'll agree to disagree then. ;)
Assuming that the EVSE meets the SAE J1772 standard then it negotiates the charge level with the car to the lowest of what it, the cable and the car are capable of / want to limit it to. So the only point of lowering the charging rate of the vehicle is if you believe that it affects the battery life, or you are trying to limit it to only use something such as microgeneration (e.g. solar) rather than too much mains, or you are worried about some overall limit such as the house incomer. Frankly it is a hangover from the early days as most of these functions are now controlled from "smart" EVSEs rather than the car.
When I bought my i3 from BMW they did give me a tutorial on charging speeds etc. You'd think by now all salesmen should be up to speed on how the i3 works, it's been around long enough!
Exactly! About time the overpaid shirts in their palaces that we all pay for learnt.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Problem is the new owner may well get home and plug the granny charger in to their domestic circuit which could also have a tumble dryer/washing machine/cooker etc etc on the same ring, no dealer/manufacturer knows what condition the owners domestic mains is in so it is default set to the lowest and safest setting.

Yes the dealer should inform the customer of these details, but as above in the rush/excitement of picking up a new car will it?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Owners could also read pages 160 and 161 of the Handbook:

Quote:

At delivery, the charge current for Level 1 charging is set to "Low".

Unquote

Quote:

At delivery, the charge current for Level 2 charging is set to "Reduced". This setting should be maintained, unless it was verified that a higher charge current strength is permitted in the individual case.

Unquote

I appreciate that reading Handbooks is deemed not to be a very manly thing to do. As my wife often says to me 'if you have tried everything else, why not read the Handbook'?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The truth is, it is most sensibly a hybrid (no pun intended).

The EVSE setting can be safely set to Max as the car/EVSE negotiation will sort out what’s allowable on that circuit.

The Granny should be set at Min to allow the user to assess the state of their circuit / equipment.

But it’s corporate elf and safety gone mad innit. Set it low, let the owner whack it up and if anything burns it’s their fault.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Well, before that statement I thought you were quite a sensible and level headed chap....... :D
I will put my hand up and admit that when I purchased my 2nd i3 a year ago, the reduced charging rate caught me out. It took me a couple of charges to realise that something wasn't right. I knew it couldn't be my charging point so it had to be the car. I did take a sneaky look at the handbook.:eek:

·
Registered
704 Posts
OK, so the i3 comes with a handbook but the book is bulky and the charging setting has to be one of the major things to sort out once you buy the car. I bought an iMac desktop computer the other day after years of owning a pc. No manual of course so how do you switch it off (no, not the button on the back)? That and many other questions all had to be googled.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Owners could also read pages 160 and 161 of the Handbook:

Quote:

At delivery, the charge current for Level 1 charging is set to "Low".

Unquote

Quote:

At delivery, the charge current for Level 2 charging is set to "Reduced". This setting should be maintained, unless it was verified that a higher charge current strength is permitted in the individual case.

Unquote
Yes the dealer should inform the customer of these details, but as above in the rush/excitement of picking up a new car will it?
Then the dealer should get the backlash. The OP chose to post here before getting an answer successfully from Google so it clearly isn't easy to find. What other very useful features of the car does the OP not know about that are reducing their appreciation of their new purchase? It is up to the dealer to ensure the customer maximises their enjoyment of their new purchase to increase the chances of repeat business.

·
Registered
704 Posts
OK, so the i3 comes with a handbook but the book is bulky and the charging setting has to be one of the major things to sort out once you buy the car. I bought an iMac desktop computer the other day after years of owning a pc. No manual of course so how do you switch it off (no, not the button on the back)? That and many other questions all had to be googled.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I bought an iMac desktop computer the other day after years of owning a pc. No manual of course
So undermining my previous post, BMW are less arrogant than Apple as they supply a manual. Is it reasonable to assume that all users are experts?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
A couple of comments.

Dealers are not dealers in the true sense when it comes to i3 sales. They get a fixed Agent's Fee from BMW for each i3 sale. It shouldn't change anything but I suspect it does.

Handbooks. The i3 also comes with an IDrive Handbook and a Driver's Guide. Here is an interesting comment from the Driver's Guide:

Quote: The vehicle cannot automatically detect the maximum permitted charging current intensity of the power system when charging at a domestic socket outlet OR charging station. Unquote

This MIGHT explain some of the iDrive delivery settings.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Then the dealer should get the backlash. The OP chose to post here before getting an answer successfully from Google so it clearly isn't easy to find. What other very useful features of the car does the OP not know about that are reducing their appreciation of their new purchase? It is up to the dealer to ensure the customer maximises their enjoyment of their new purchase to increase the chances of repeat business.
My dealer showed me the reduced charge setting and asked if we wanted it increased before we set off for home, he also set button 9 as REX start for us and spent about an hour going over the car completely, not all dealers are [email protected]
Big up for Exeter BMW.......

·
Registered
326 Posts
The manual is also loaded in to the vehicles hard drive, you don’t need the paper book, and the on board system is actually quite easy to find advice/instructions.

But it should all be down to the dealer handover.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
428 Posts
Can confirm my brand new I3S charges at 2.3kw on the 13A without me making any changes through iDrive. No clue if the dealer has done anything before handover they didn't mention it if they had, but I can say that I also reset the key preferences when I got in the car so this was the default setting on my car.
The dealer had charged the car but had not used a 13A charger to do so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts