Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to hear from people what they think about the new information that BMW has released in relation to the I4. Is this it is due out next year so still a bit of time. Is it a car that you would consider to buy? Does this mark BMW as being more serious now about EVs?

The specs seem reasonable to me but I still have to hear finale details .... price etc....

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Fugly from the front, interesting conceptually as a stepping stone towards further reductions in driver input and increased autonomy, likely to be Tesla Model S prices. Being a cynic I'd say that it is trying to divert attention from the fact that BMW lost the lead that they had with the i3/i8 but at least they are not solely going down the SUV route like Jaguar/ Mercedes / Audi.
BMW unveils i4 electric car: a stunning Gran Coupe with a massive screen - Electrek

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I wonder if that's why BMW were reportedly backing away from the i3/i8? Neither has the frontal area for such a massive (and fake) grille!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree, what were they thinking with that front end.

I would think its a Tesla 3 competitor not a Tesla S. If they can get the real world range above the magic 300 miles, and maybe a Tourer body version under £50k then I think they will sell like hot cakes. I'd have one as a company car as long as the government keeps the company car tax for full electric low.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It’s their response to the Tesla 3 isn’t it? So about three years too late.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It wouldn't interest me - but then again I have never been interested in any BMW apart from the i3. The grille is hideous. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think that instead of 390kW/530hp and an acceleration of 0-100kmh in 4 seconds they should concentrate on total range. The fairly slow top speed is acceptable, but wasting energy on high acceleration rate and unnecessary high horse power is wrong. After all, it's not a race track car but transport, so the 4s acceleration is good only for bragging. I also hope they will add more buttons and switches and not follow that idiotic Tesla idea. Let those who like the swipes and touch screens buy their Tesla and compete in other ways instead. BMW will never win over the Tesla fans anyway, but they have a good chance to compete against other brand. Yes, it has an ugly front and I also don't like that it has a glass roof, again... let Tesla have it, I don't care, but I don't like it. So, as it looks like, it won't be my car, even if the price would be acceptable.

Anyway, it's a concept car, not a real one, many things will change before they release it. Right now, Darwinism rules, the "survival of the fittest" will show how many car manufacturers will survive the Corona virus and the economical disaster which is ongoing right now. Most major car factories have closed down and my guess is that several will never open again. Whichever survives is the winner, however, my guess is that the i4 will not be released for quite some time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whether those factories re-open again depends on how much 'money' is going to be printed out of thin air to compensate them (and everybody else). It's a race to the bottom featuring Governments the world over!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I just saw pictures of the concept i4 for the first time. That's like a big old pig's snout stuck on the front.
You'd press the horn and expect it to go 'OINK'.
But the production version will no doubt look just like any BMW saloon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts