Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autocar website and very vague "sources" that aren't even quoted directly, but still...

BMW is set to employ a revised version of the hydrogen-electric fuel cell system used in the Toyota FCV in a future i-brand model, possibly to be badged i5.

Company sources say the race is on between the German car makers to get a hydrogen fuel cell car on the market, now that Japanese companies Honda and Toyota have taken the initiative.

The powertrain sharing is the first stage of a BMW-Toyota joint venture aimed at lowering development costs and providing improved economies of scale on advanced alternative drive systems shared between the two manufacturers. A second project, to build a rear-drive sports car platform, is also said to be well under way.
And this bit I'm sure will go down well... ;)

Many in the auto industry point out that a hydrogen fuel cell car can be refuelled in a matter of minutes, while even the most powerful EV chargers take at least 30 minutes to replenish batteries.

Arguably, the mass storage and transportation of hydrogen is relatively straightforward, too, in comparison with upgrading the electricity network.

Fast charging systems, especially those using three-phase supplies, require significant upgrades to the local electricity infrastructure, while mass recharging stations would require significant space, which might not be available in urban areas.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-plans-new-hydrogen-fuelled-i5

Super Moderator
Oh :(

Perhaps not a -complete- disaster. If it has 20kwhish of mains chargeable battery and a hydrogen range extender then it could still be a useful car that mainly drove on electricity.

Registered
I wouldn't mind a hydrogen REx car that could be kinda cool. But I still think that all hydrogen is a step back.

Registered
There will be 15 the government are funding. Not sure if they are for the public or just the hydrogen powered government cars they are buying.

Registered
The nice thing about the REx is that if you can't track down an elusive CCS charger, you can always fall back on petrol. It'll be a bit crap if your fall back is the even more elusive hydrogen pumping station. Do any even exist?
Good point. That's the weird thing we are surrounded by electric but so few charge points.

Registered
. It'll be a bit crap if your fall back is the even more elusive hydrogen pumping station. Do any even exist?
I thought the same, so I did a search. Turns out I walk past my local hydrogen filling station every day on the way to work. But the next nearest is 190 miles away.

Super Moderator
I think Toyota are advertising a 300 mile range. I'm sure they will say drivers will not need that many H2 stations to reach the entire UK.

One of the downsides of H2 is you can't refill at home. I suppose a home electrolysis or natural gas steam reform unit is possible, but I'm not aware of anything approaching practical.

The whole thing is pointed at the way ICE drivers think.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the moment it's ICE without the fuelling stations at every corner. Long range and a few filling stations makes it EXTREMELY niche in this country. If you set up networks of fuelling stations then it's like-for-like and much easier for people to understand.

Pure EV on the other hand is very different and "fuelling stations" (rapid chargers) are the least convenient and pleasant part of ownership, not a regular thing for most.

Registered
The nice thing about the REx is that if you can't track down an elusive CCS charger, you can always fall back on petrol. It'll be a bit crap if your fall back is the even more elusive hydrogen pumping station. Do any even exist?
Would you be able to trust an H2 REX? H2 storage is "lossy" as the gas must be slowly vented to the atmosphere.

Super Moderator
I wouldn't mind a hydrogen REx car that could be kinda cool.
If you are going to put H2 tanks and a fuel cell stack in an EV why not ditch the heavy expensive battery pack and make the car pure hydrogen?

I'm not in favour of fuel cell vehicles because of where the H2 comes from.

Banned
If you are going to put H2 tanks and a fuel cell stack in an EV why not ditch the heavy expensive battery pack and make the car pure hydrogen?
Because you can't refill at home, but it's a lot more convenient to fill up with H2 than rapid charging is?

Really, rapid charging sucks. It is not a viable alternative to re-fueling on long journeys.

An H2 Rex gives the best of both worlds.

Registered
Because you can't refill at home, but it's a lot more convenient to fill up with H2 than rapid charging is?

Really, rapid charging sucks. It is not a viable alternative to re-fueling on long journeys.

An H2 Rex gives the best of both worlds.
Or the worst - higher purchase cost, high refuelling cost, limited fuelling stations, inefficient production, tranportation and use, production using fossil fuels, higher CO2, ..... The list goes on...

Registered
I've seen one!

It's in Reykjavik. ;)

Banned
Or the worst - higher purchase cost, high refuelling cost, limited fuelling stations, inefficient production, tranportation and use, production using fossil fuels, higher CO2, ..... The list goes on...
This is not an all-or-nothing argument.

Do you prefer petrol to hydrogen?

Registered
This is not an all-or-nothing argument.

Do you prefer petrol to hydrogen?
I prefer neither! However I think a petrol hybrid makes more sense than a hydrogen one until such time that someone demonstrates that hydrogen is cleaner (end to end), more efficient, more convenient and cheaper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts