Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an issue with recent BMW i3 granny chargers. According to someone on the FB group this is enhancement code 71680200.
The issue is that because it has such a large plug it won't fit fully in some sockets and if the pins aren't connecting properly there's a risk of fire.

My wife's 2018 BMW 225XE currently has both a safety recall and an enhancement:
Enhancement code 71690200 I would guess is the same as for the BMW i3 (the 225XE uses the same granny charger).
The safety recall is Recall code 13810200, I have no idea what that is but the government site says it has had this recall since at least today.

My i3 has the old style of granny brick which is not affected.

See BMW Recall Information | BMW UK for the BMW recall information for your vehicle, and What is the vehicle's registration number - MOT History to check whether the government think there's a recall.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just talked to BMW. The two things for the 225XE are to stick a label on the granny block, and the other one is a possible manufacturing defect on the crankshaft. They have to inspect and possibly replace the crankshaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
During a home charging overnight on my BMW i3 (REX) due finished in the early hours of the following morning, (unknown at the time) the charging stopped/blue light on the charger after only a couple of miles clocking up.
The only oddity found the next morning was a flash 'Mode2 cable...?' warning on the cars computer but when attempting to see its details it disappeared and nothing was found in the i-messages etc.
A few days later the 'Enhancement code 71680200' notification appeared and I was able to see all the details attached to that, I am also able to bring that notification up again via the i-messages.
I've been in BMW contact since but they say that any notification to the customer by this method should not affect any ongoing charging being done on the vehicle, so can I assume that the issue is just coincidental?
I haven't used the Rolec home charger or BMW's 3-phase cable since but fully intend to when I can actually monitor it during daylight hours.
I have also had no problem charging at a public DC fast charging point, using their tethered cable.
Any thoughts or advice out there?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During a home charging overnight on my BMW i3 (REX) due finished in the early hours of the following morning, (unknown at the time) the charging stopped/blue light on the charger after only a couple of miles clocking up.
The only oddity found the next morning was a flash 'Mode2 cable...?' warning on the cars computer but when attempting to see its details it disappeared and nothing was found in the i-messages etc.
A few days later the 'Enhancement code 71680200' notification appeared and I was able to see all the details attached to that, I am also able to bring that notification up again via the i-messages.
I've been in BMW contact since but they say that any notification to the customer by this method should not affect any ongoing charging being done on the vehicle, so can I assume that the issue is just coincidental?
I haven't used the Rolec home charger or BMW's 3-phase cable since but fully intend to when I can actually monitor it during daylight hours.
I have also had no problem charging at a public DC fast charging point, using their tethered cable.
What was the weather like when the charge cut out? If there was a brief power outage that would probably explain it. Probably a coincidence and unless it happens frequently I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was a slightly windy night with some occasional light rain showers that charging night. There would have been a power change around midnight as that's when our street lighting goes off but I can't think that has anything to do with it as that's never given any charging problem before?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If your granny Granny Charger is the subject of a recall you will see a warning in the BMW Connected App. The recall talks about a label as an interim safety measure. BMW will contact owners in the middle of 2020 to arrange a replacement charger.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
When you connect to a Type 2 charging post, the i3‘s onboard charger manages the charge. To do this, there is a communication wire built into the charging cable which communicates with a Communications Module in the Rolec. Having chatted through a problem that I experienced with Rolec Support, your problem is possibly one of two things: one, a failing communications module in the Rolec or, two, a damaged communication wire in the charging cable. The latter can be damaged by driving over the cable or by the simple act of pulling on the cable when it is tangled.

Rapid charging is managed by the charger not the i3 so it is really not relevant to your problem. To identify whether there is a problem, then you need to check your car and cable on another fast 7k charging post. If the problem re-occurs, the try and borrow a Type 2 cable or attempt a charge on another Type 2 tethered post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts