Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://puregreencars.com/Green-Cars...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

BMW has revealed a new high performance plug-in hybrid system, dubbed Power eDrive, with an output of 670 horsepower.

Revealed in a 5-Series GT, the Power eDrive plug-in hybrid system consists of a company's new 170kW (228 hp) turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder direct injection gasoline engine and two electric motors borrowed from the BMW i3 and beefed up a bit. A 150kW (201 hp) version of the i3's synchronous unit mounted up front in the space usually taken up by the torque converter in the car's eight-speed automatic gearbox. The second, even more powerful 200kW (268 hp) unit sits in the rear axle assembly. Together they make an astonishing 670 horsepower and 750lb ft of torque.

“The electric motors provide approximately two-thirds of the combined output, with the combustion engine accounting for the remaining third,” said Franz Drescher-Kaden, BMW concept engineer for the new petrol-electric hybrid set-up.

A 20kWh lithium ion battery mounted centrally ensures an all-electric range of 100 km (62 miles) for this prototype, which will weigh substantially more than the heaviest 5-Series GT (2,070kg). The fuel tank has been reduced in size from 70 liters to 30 liters. The prototype comes with a total range of around 600 km (370 miles).

The company plans to offer this new BMW Power eDrive in a range of vehicles which may include the 7 series, the X5, the X6 and possibly the X7. The Power eDrive unit is even rumored to appear on the forthcoming Rolls-Royce SUV.

-oOo-

I know which vehicle this Powertrain is for. Sworn to secrecy though. :cool:

Reactions: EV:mk and BlackLeaf

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and I'd hazard a further guess that this isn't even worthwhile technology for environmental benefits either...
Care to expand?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

More seriously:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Why not? Not everyone is the same. Maybe. Definitely. Possibly. But for many, it will be.

Pluralism is vital for the mass adoption of any new approach. Everyone needs to be appealed to, surely?

Reactions: Simon Mac and EV:mk

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But that's the challenge, isn't it? Every time someone deploys a massive fossil fuel avoidance vector, what's left will get cheaper and last longer. There's at least a workable postulation that halo applications that appeal to those who cling on longest and hardest bring forward the final demise, quite aside from the well worn truism that you get the rich to fund the development of technology such that everyone can then afford it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds a bit too powerful for the i5...but who knows. (@Mark J Constable perhaps :p)

Edit: Sounds awesome BTW.

A PHEV that finally approaches LEAF all electric range and the option to continue on petrol?

Great!

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
You asked me to expand and I did. It's frivolous use of ecologically friendly technology.

Perhaps there are men who never grew up beyond wishing to travel faster and faster in cars, but what I'm saying is that the majority of EV drivers are not of that ilk (fortunately).

As for persuasion of the masses, nothing needs doing. Fossil fuels are running out. The equation will complete without any means of persuasion required.
This car persuades people that plugin hybrids are better than straight petrol vehicles. Plugin hybrids massively reduce petrol usage and persuade people that battery vehicles (with enough range) are better than plugin hybrids.

I'd rather we transition to EVs -before- the oil runs out, both because we really should stop burning it if we don't want to push the climate to a point that us humans are no longer compatible with it, and also because the local effects of air pollution are already killing us. Plus, having oil around is useful for things like plastic and fertiliser...

Reactions: Dblock

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Sounds a bit too powerful for the i5...but who knows. (@Mark J Constable perhaps :p)

Edit: Sounds awesome BTW.

A PHEV that finally approaches LEAF all electric range and the option to continue on petrol?

Great!
i8S if I had to guess. It should be quicker than the Tesla P85D

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The company plans to offer this new BMW Power eDrive in a range of vehicles which may include the 7 series, the X5, the X6 and possibly the X7. The Power eDrive unit is even rumored to appear on the forthcoming Rolls-Royce SUV.
Not wanting to shoot the messenger here, but more of these on the road? No thanks.

This has to be a candidate for the most hideous vehicle ever made.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not wanting to shoot the messenger here, but more of these on the road? No thanks.

This has to be a candidate for the most hideous vehicle ever made.
Pontiac Aztek

·
Registered
558 Posts
This car persuades people that plugin hybrids are better than straight petrol vehicles. Plugin hybrids massively reduce petrol usage and persuade people that battery vehicles (with enough range) are better than plugin hybrids.

I'd rather we transition to EVs -before- the oil runs out, both because we really should stop burning it if we don't want to push the climate to a point that us humans are no longer compatible with it, and also because the local effects of air pollution are already killing us. Plus, having oil around is useful for things like plastic and fertiliser...

+1 a step in the right direction is a step in the right direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts