·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, that pretty impressive.

With they way BMW do their marketing and their position within the market, it does seem like more people are taking an interest now they they've brought out their models.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes the marketing has definitely been a good thing for getting people to sit up and take note. The number of people that have mentioned the BMW advert to me at work, it's obviously working.

It's really interesting that the take up has been so strong (for the i3). Is it the car, the badge or general feeling towards petrol / energy prices?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car and the badge mostly, and the ReX option. That's my guess anyway. For some reason (and I say this a person who really likes a lot of the BMWs) people THINK that they're reliable, smart etc. To be honest, I think they're just good at marketing and customer service, which has a HUGE impact on customer perception and trust.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think it will show itself to be the first EV that the general populace is aware of. I noticed the people I work with didn't really twig about the Leaf and the Ampera as they were from manufacturers they don't bother with so they didn't take them seriously and mentally bracketed them with the Prius as for tree huggers only. Now the metro free paper has them reading about the BMW i3 they sit up and take notice. I bet many, if asked, would think it was the only electric car they could buy or that they knew about. I don't think it will need to make sense against the competition until Merc VW and finally Audi get fully involved, their customers would not dream of going elsewhere.
So, even if educated EVers don't think it is right for them, it will be the car that shifts the public consciousness and breaks the top gear effect that has been dogging public perception of EV's for years. Good on 'em, I say.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think it will show itself to be the first EV that the general populace is aware of. I noticed the people I work with didn't really twig about the Leaf and the Ampera as they were from manufacturers they don't bother with so they didn't take them seriously and mentally bracketed them with the Prius as for tree huggers only. Now the metro free paper has them reading about the BMW i3 they sit up and take notice. I bet many, if asked, would think it was the only electric car they could buy or that they knew about. I don't think it will need to make sense against the competition until Merc VW and finally Audi get fully involved, their customers would not dream of going elsewhere.
So, even if educated EVers don't think it is right for them, it will be the car that shifts the public consciousness and breaks the top gear effect that has been dogging public perception of EV's for years. Good on 'em, I say.
I think you've got it nailed here Rick. I've been spreading the good news about my Ampera to friends, acquaintances and the postman for over a year and they're all fascinated and like the concept - but not the price. But I've always had the feeling that Vauxhall never wanted to try 'too hard' as they knew they'd never convince anyone. They have hardly sounded convinced themselves if the level of advertising has been anything to go by! BMW have gone for it big time, and *because* its BMW everyone's talking about it and having to take it seriously.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have thought the same about Vauxhall not really trying. As ever, it is down to individuals in the dealerships. There's a couple of really keen guys in Go-Vauxhall now where I got mine but there has been the shadow of G-M pulling Volts out and they must have been worried about the Opel connection internally too. I'm convinced it will get better. These cars sell themselves after all.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been working with a company this week who have an Ampera as their fleet car and I've only heard good things from staff, exposure and getting people behind the wheel is key. BMW will do this with their PR push!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts