Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Although the X1 25e isn't available on the list of EV cars when creating a forum profile, it does seem to share many things in common with the 225xe :)

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has a X1 25e and what their "real world" MPG is. By real world I mean turning a blind eye to the questionable MPG calculations from the on-board computer and doing the math on paper.

Shockingly on a 2.5-3h motorway journey at 80mph using cruise control and a bit of town driving I'm getting 32mpg after working out how much fuel I took onboard and what my travelled distance was. This was all done with Auto eDrive and Eco Pro, except for the town driving where I was in Comfort.

I wasn't expecting diesel like MPG but the rather small tank means more frequent trips to the petrol station on longer journeys.

Registered
Hi everyone,

Although the X1 25e isn't available on the list of EV cars when creating a forum profile, it does seem to share many things in common with the 225xe :)

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has a X1 25e and what their "real world" MPG is. By real world I mean turning a blind eye to the questionable MPG calculations from the on-board computer and doing the math on paper.

Shockingly on a 2.5-3h motorway journey at 80mph using cruise control and a bit of town driving I'm getting 32mpg after working out how much fuel I took onboard and what my travelled distance was. This was all done with Auto eDrive and Eco Pro, except for the town driving where I was in Comfort.

I wasn't expecting diesel like MPG but the rather small tank means more frequent trips to the petrol station on longer journeys.
Did you fully charge the battery before this journey. The manufacturer quoted mpg assumes the battery is regularly charged.

Otherwise if your journeys are from a empty battery then expect the mpg to be very poor because you are in effect driving around an ICE with an extra electric motor and HV battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you recall what MPG you got at motorway speeds?

The only thing I find pretty annoying with Auto eDrive is the constant tendency the car has to switch the ICE off when I start coasting at speeds 50+ MPH. This means there always a slight delay a few seconds later when I want to get back on the throttle.

Registered
Do you recall what MPG you got at motorway speeds?

The only thing I find pretty annoying with Auto eDrive is the constant tendency the car has to switch the ICE off when I start coasting at speeds 50+ MPH. This means there always a slight delay a few seconds later when I want to get back on the throttle.
I didn't drive my car too many times on the motorway for the 1 year I owned the car. However I did do the one trip from London to Cornwall this May. On my journey home I was doing 70ish most of the way. Sometimes I did slow a little down to 65ish. But if my memory serves me right, I was getting around 40 to 45mpg. Can't remember exactly.

I think the 225ex is slightly smaller and lighter than your car.

I've sold it last month, so I no longer have access to the app to get more info.

2018 Sport Premium with comfort pack
I have a 225XE and regularly did trips of 300 to 400 miles and with a fully charged battery the MPG never went below 48 and was more usually somewhere around 50. Today I drove a 200 mile return journey, about half motorway or dual carriageway and the rest A roads and got 53mpg.
I rarely go above 70mph though and more usually set the cruise control at 68. I do use Sport mode a couple of times during journeys for quick start offs or overtaking.
Try keeping to 70 or just under and see if that changes the figures.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was this with the onboard computer or doing the math based on distance and fuel taken onboard?

Because according to the onboard computer, I'm easily doing 50+ MPG and that does not tally with the fuel I have to take onboard for distance travelled.

I used the on board computer figures so they may not be as accurate as brimming the tank and measuring it. Don't have time to try it now as the car is going next Monday. I'm doing much fewer miles and am buying a much cheaper (but unfortunately diesel) car as I need the cash!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, 25 years ago!

Take a modern 320d or anything else produced in the last decade and they're far from smokey. I've been running diesels since 2007 and even the first (a Fiat !) produced no smoke at all.

I would love to buy an electric vehicle but with a budget of around 拢5k try and find one! At the moment I suspect most EV's are either company cars or mobility. Would anyone, using their own money, pay 拢29,000 for an electric Peugeot 208 or 拢16,500 for the petrol version?

I would also say that all of my colleagues driving PHEV's as they are tax efficient rarely charge them and just use petrol that the company pays for with less efficiency than the petrol versions. Most companies do not reimburse the cost of charging as they do not have the computer systems to do it so there is no incentive to charge the cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah and thing about PHEVs is that they're neither one nor the other: The electric range on the X1 25e is too short to make it useful for anything except "down to the shops" trips, charging also takes too long so it needs to be done overnight. The petrol range is also pretty limited due to the smaller tank size.

Even though the company doesn't support the cost of home charging, I do charge it at home on a regular basis as it doesn't add more than 拢20 to the monthly bill.

I think that once the newer generation of full EVs start to appear from the manufacturers that they'll be a more viable option. Fast chargers can get you about 60 miles worth of range in 5min and 80% charge in 20 or so minutes. If there's one or four fast chargers per every other petrol station then "electric" will make sense.

It was another reason for me selling the BMW, second hand values are very high at the moment and I can see them going down fast in a year or so, early PHEV's probably more than most.

Registered
I didn't drive my car too many times on the motorway for the 1 year I owned the car. However I did do the one trip from London to Cornwall this May. On my journey home I was doing 70ish most of the way. Sometimes I did slow a little down to 65ish. But if my memory serves me right, I was getting around 40 to 45mpg. Can't remember exactly.

I think the 225ex is slightly smaller and lighter than your car.

I've sold it last month, so I no longer have access to the app to get more info.
X1 is little bigger (4447 mm) than 225xe (4354 mm). is heavier too by 60 kg. but thanks to bigger battery and technical improvements, electric range (declared) is longer. and drive is 4x4, not like 225xe where front wheels are petrol, aft ones electric

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As an update to this thread I can share my experiences from a slightly longer trip I did a few weeks ago, I was very pleasantly surprised!

We set off from the hotel with a full charge and just over half a tank of fuel (the other half was used on the trip to the hotel), cruise control set to 120 KM/h (about 70mph) once we hit the motorway and the drive mode was on Auto E-Drive + Eco-Pro for the whole trip.

I'd say this was 90% motorway with the remaining 10% a mix of secondary roads where the car would manage the switch between EV and ICE depending on speed.

I've found that on motorways, a small increase of 10 KM/h (120 -> 130) in the cruising speed adds a significant amount to the fuel consumption, almost another full 1L per 100km. This seems to be down to the rev range where the engine sits: At 120 its doing about 2400rpm and at 130 its closer to 2900rpm.

Registered
As an update to this thread I can share my experiences from a slightly longer trip I did a few weeks ago, I was very pleasantly surprised!

We set off from the hotel with a full charge and just over half a tank of fuel (the other half was used on the trip to the hotel), cruise control set to 120 KM/h (about 70mph) once we hit the motorway and the drive mode was on Auto E-Drive + Eco-Pro for the whole trip.

View attachment 149351

I'd say this was 90% motorway with the remaining 10% a mix of secondary roads where the car would manage the switch between EV and ICE depending on speed.

I've found that on motorways, a small increase of 10 KM/h (120 -> 130) in the cruising speed adds a significant amount to the fuel consumption, almost another full 1L per 100km. This seems to be down to the rev range where the engine sits: At 120 its doing about 2400rpm and at 130 its closer to 2900rpm.
with this data average consumption of energy is 223 Wh/km but regeneration is not included. not bad :)

Registered
225Xe
X1 is little bigger (4447 mm) than 225xe (4354 mm). is heavier too by 60 kg. but thanks to bigger battery and technical improvements, electric range (declared) is longer. and drive is 4x4, not like 225xe where front wheels are petrol, aft ones electric
Not sure if you are not mixing up the X1 with the X3. The X1 is a 225Xe in a different set of clothes. Mechanically/electrically identical so not true 4x4 although bizarrely you can get a hitch with an X1 but not with Xe.
Re MPG, I've over 100,000km on my 225Xe since January 2019, mix of long motorway slogs and short runabouts.
The electric motor cuts out at about 75mph regardless of charge state so is nothing but dead weight above that speed. If you want to drive faster then do it in that knowledge and don't bitch about the car.
At a constant 74mph I get about 37mpg on the motorway. This improves dramatically as you knock off speed so at constant 60 you easily get 50+.
Driving in each of the modes does affect economy. In sport the car will try and maintain 50% battery state and your petrol economy will suffer accordingly. Throttle response is sharper and kick down more aggressive so will burn more. Eco-pro will invariably try to use all the battery early in a journey unless you use the save mode but gives free wheeling on hills which is something a lot of eco drivers would kill for.
I don't hang about and use the cars prodigious grip and acceleration regularly yet across my 100,000km I have averaged over 60mpg, calculated at the pump, not the computer (as a true geek I have logged every single fill since new). When adjusted for electrical cost this is equivalent to 50mpg which is just better than the Prius it replaced. But the Xe is better than the Prius in every way that means anything to me as a driver.

Incidentally the car has been faultless aside from recall issues. Nothing has gone wrong.

The 36 litre tank is the cars single biggest drawback but even that is not really a big deal since my bladder and the car have pretty similar endurance. I regularly drive from one end of the country to the other (Ireland, Kerry to Donegal is a regular single day round trip) I carry a full size spare and 5 litres of fuel in a can in the boot. Thankfully have never needed either.
I specced the car for these types of trips, adaptive cruise and lights. I did swap in higher profile tires. I wanted a little extra ground clearance so fitted 215/60R17 with Michelen Crossclimate tires. Brilliant combination which add a little suppleness to the ride. Speedo is fractionally under reading when tires are new (120 indicated is 122 GPS speed) but worth it for my personal requirements.

The other drawback is no hitch. This is a big issue for a "lifestyle" car. I discussed it with the dealer at my last service in light of one being available now for the X1. He reckons they want to move "lifestyle" customers towards the X1 and position the Xe for older customers like VW did with the golf+.

Oh yeah, worst car ever for dirtying the rear window. I reckon that stupid spoiler on the hatch is the culprit, which also hits anything on the roof rack.

Incidentally, as an old time surfer I am a long time user of roof racks. The OE BMW racks on the roof rails are far and away the best I have ever used on a car. They take seconds to put on and off, no tools required, and are noise free up to about 60. For anyone thinking about racks they are worth the silly money BMW extract for them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts