Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

BMW's other EVs

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Number64 
#1 · (Edited)
Besides the i3 and the i8, BMW sell two EVs that don't get much attention.

The Cruise e-Bike has a Bosch electric mid-drive and a 400wH battery. Power is limited to 250Watts to meet EU pedelec regulations. Anything over 250Watts needs insurance and a driving license.

The e-Bike is sold by BMW dealers. Spec is fairly high compared to some other e-Bikes I've seen. Hydraulic brakes, hub dynamos for the lights and so on but the MSRP is an eye-watering £2,400. I've seen two on eBay at a modest discount.

The BMW C-Evolution is the i3 of scooters. The 8kWh battery is built up from the same modules as the i3. It is powered by an 11kW rated, 35kW peak motor and has an advertised range of 100km. The spec sheet says it has a Type 1 socket (!) and will charge in 3 hours 16Amps. An EVSE is included.

EV acceleration: 0-30 in 2.7 seconds and 0-62 in 6.2.

Price? £13,500. Hmmm. Not sure, but maybe I'd rather have a Twizy.

Sources:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/m...wners/lifestyle/BMW-Bikes/BMW_eBike_Flyer.PDF

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/motorcycles/urban-mobility/bmw-c-evolution/index.html

See less See more
#3 ·
The Vectrix was an expensive flop :(
I do like the look of the C-Evolution, and it would be a great bike for someone who didn't yet have a driving licence (it can be ridden with just a CBT from what I understand) but it is a little pricey. I think i'd take it over a twizy, though.

#4 ·
There were some E-bikes on the WAVE this year. They looked great and looked great fun to ride but boy! They are pricey to buy.

Vehicle Car Race car Sports car Classic car

Reactions: Paul
#5 ·
Like most, I think the pure electric bikes are way to expensive to justify as anything other than toys (mind you my ICE motorcycles are pure toys too...).

The pedelec though does have some merit. I too thought they were expensive for what they were, but when I tried cycling to work on a MTB, I found I was averaging around 11mph due to hills. Bought a similar Pedelec from Germany for 1600GP shipped and with similar effort (I always try to go at a reasonable pace) I find I can average around 16mph, slicing around 20mins off the pure pedalled journey.

Fuel costs? I recon 280p/day in the ICE (based on Diesel usage 10p/mile) vs 4p/day on the Pedelec (based on the capacity of battery used and an 80% charging efficiency). Travel time (E/W): ICE 25min / Pedelec 45-50min / MTB 65-70min. But for me it was a choice based on exercise rather than pure cost: I don't plan to cycle more than one or two days a week. I know I'd get more exercise on the MTB but there's also travel time to consider. It's nice to be able to engage 275% boost on the worst hill and go up at 13+mph instead of 4mph...

#8 ·
I have a smart e-bike it will hold you at 16.5 mph all the way even up hills 250watts 31nm
62miles of range, it has some very cool features, I got it at work for £1500 0% interest.
3years battery warranty and 2 years on the bike, I'm loving it it's faster to get to work on the bike than in the zoe, I'm getting 56 miles before I need to recharge it.

#9 ·
I have a smart e-bike it will hold you at 16.5 mph all the way even up hills 250watts 31nm
62miles of range, it has some very cool features, I got it at work for £1500 0% interest.
3years battery warranty and 2 years on the bike, I'm loving it it's faster to get to work on the bike than in the zoe, I'm getting 56 miles before I need to recharge it.
Care to share which bike it is? I'm guessing that was through the cycle to work scheme?

#11 ·
I know our cycle to work had 1k limit. Wasn't sure if we were missing out somehow...

I looked at the Smart bike specs, but the brochure I saw said UK bikes were only 200W (no idea why this would be)? I also decided a crank drive was better for my hilly terrain, as you can keep the motor speed up by dropping gears, so less torque and therefore less current (heating).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.