Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real simple one.

Has anyone found a passive cool box that fits nicely in the boot well of the Model 3?

Looking for something that will fit nicely in the boot for when I go on a driving holiday and we take food etc to keep it from warming up too quick.

Cheers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Real simple one.

Has anyone found a passive cool box that fits nicely in the boot well of the Model 3?

Looking for something that will fit nicely in the boot for when I go on a driving holiday and we take food etc to keep it from warming up too quick.

Cheers.
There’s a new product coming soon from CNCT coolers (pronounced connect) from the US. They’re on Twitter @cnct_coolers if you fancy checking them out 👍🏻

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So checked out the boys at cnct_coolers and they are starting pre-sales tomorrow. BUT...
They gave out a 20% early bird discount which equated to $60. $300 for a cool box. No thanks. Even with 20% off at $240 that's way too steep for me.
So far I've not found anything that isn't either too tall or tiny, so not worth it. I think I'll make one to suit out of some wall insulation and mdf. Reckon I can do a pretty neat job as well and it'll hold a lot more volume.

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about a traditional camping cool box?
I've trawled Amazon, Argos etc. I just can't find one the right size. Either tiny or far too tall. I want to be able to put the cover back on the boot well.
Will just go for a soft bag for now and then look at making something. Will be a nice project.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think I'll make one to suit out of some wall insulation and mdf. Reckon I can do a pretty neat job as well and it'll hold a lot more volume.
Interesting idea.

Based on something I made in the past, I think mdf will make it uncomfortably heavy, but I think I know what to make it from.

Aka Correx, this stuff is light, cheap and super-easy to work. Cut out a simple net, compress along fold lines and it will fold easily. Glue with cyanoacrylate to make the "tub".

Then I'd probably use EPS sheet, 25mm thick, for the insulation - Jablite Polystyrene Insulation board (L)2.4m (W)1.2m (T)25mm | DIY at B&Q

For sticking that to the correx, this would probably work (and what I use for sticking open-cell foam sound insulation to correx): Evo-Stik Light amber Carpet Adhesive 500ml | DIY at B&Q

Then line the inside with another layer of correx and then cover the insides, especially the seams, in several layers of Aluminium tape: Diall Clear Aluminium tape (L)50m (W)75mm | DIY at B&Q to seal the insides as best as possible (ie to prevent any leakage of condensation etc).

Obviously a lid with similar construction.

This would be much lighter than MDF and also would be much more resistant to liquid spills and condensation.

·
Registered
941 Posts
In fact rather than messing around with EPS board and adhesives it would be even easier to make the inner and outer correx tubs and then fill the space between them with expanding foam - this will act as the adhesive and has excellent insulation properties. It would also deal well with leaks/condensation as the expanding foam would not allow a path through for water.

You could go even further than that - simply make the inner correx tub, then put plastic sheeting into the under-floor well and fill with expanding foam - that way the foam will mould itself exactly to the shape of the under-floor tub. Riskier, but would make a perfectly moulded "to fit" box. Of course, then the inner box wouldn't need to be correx, but you could buy whatever plastic tub that is the closest fit to the underfloor space.

Hmmmm.... Now I want to try this!

I certainly found that putting frozen and refrigerated foods into the underfloor space during a shopping trip kept them cooler for longer, so turning that underfloor into a cool box would prove useful I think.

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice one, cheers for the tips.

MDF was just a top of the head thing. What you mentioned is much better. Also probably better for the lining of the well.

I'm actually tempted to do the expanding foam method and then carve out a box and then line it. I'm going to give that some thought

·
Registered
941 Posts
So, I did build this. A few random pics.

Thought I had more...

Anyway, inner and outer correx skins, injected everbuild thermofoam. I designed it to fit to the lumpy shape of the under floor cavity, as well as to leave space for the UMC pouch, the emergency pouch and some kitchen roll, hi viz vest, etc. around it

Worked pretty well, up until last night... I filled the box up with frozen goods on a Costco run, in humid hot conditions, so plenty of condensation.

I guess that, even after several weeks, there was uncured foam between the correx layers at the bottom, as it expanded and bulged both inwards and outwards.

Also, despite my measurements and design to try to compensate for the shape of the boot well, it never fit quite right.

So, my recommendation is to take the boot well liner out of the car, cover it with plastic sheet, fill with expanding foam (insert a sacrificial cardboard box or something into the centre if you want to save on foam), then after it has cured, carve out spaces for UMC, emergency package, etc.

Don't bother with the correx skins faff! I'll see if I can get mine back into shape by crushing the foam, but I doubt it...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get your dog on to Jack Wolf raw dog meat, these come in EPS boxes. A pair of the half height boxes ( I think they are 5kg size) 40x30x17cm are a perfect fit in the frunk.

·
Registered
941 Posts
So here is my bulgy box:

I cut into the correx, and it began to bleed. The next day:

So, clearly it sealed itself up enough that the foam managed to not cure for weeks. Using the box with frozen food, and the condensation/temperature clearly caused the foam to cure partially, and over-expand. I'll see if I can carve this back to being usable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts