Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good after-market tape or strip to protect the boot sill? There is quite an expanse of paintwork, and I know how sad I will be the first time I find I've dragged something across it! There are so many tapes and rubber strips available, but all seem to get very mixed reviews...would like to benefit from the collective wisdom here...

·
Registered
714 Posts
This is the stuff that VW use: VW ID.3 2020 - Lackschutzfolie online bestellen beim Profi | Luxshield

I bought the door and boot kits on Amazon, fitted a few weeks ago.
Is that stuff properly permanent, or could it be removed in the future without wrecking the paint? Our old A1 had clear film areas in front of the rear wheel arches and after a while, the edges had attracted adhered grime and so I took them. We've got a labrador so would like to protect the rear bumper - at the moment we've got a rubber mat that flaps over the bumper and is attached to our load liner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the film on the rear sill. Went on ok. But after a couple of weeks there is a bit of grime on the edges. The sill is a large flat area that naturally catches grime anyway. I suspect I’ll keep the film for some months but I am tempted by one of the shaped rigid plastic covers that would cover the whole sill.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
362 Posts
Is that stuff properly permanent, or could it be removed in the future without wrecking the paint? Our old A1 had clear film areas in front of the rear wheel arches and after a while, the edges had attracted adhered grime and so I took them. We've got a labrador so would like to protect the rear bumper - at the moment we've got a rubber mat that flaps over the bumper and is attached to our load liner.
It is supposed to be removable, I have the door sill trims too.

We got a puppy a couple of weeks ago so it will be tested more thoroughly soon!

It hasn’t budged or come away at the edges since I applied it a couple of months ago - just taken this photo, and yes I need to wash my car 🥴

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
665 Posts
Dont understand why car manufacturers have not cottoned on that we don't want boot lips painting.. particularly cars with flat load bays.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was enquiring about protection pack 2 with my local TPS and individual load liner prices. I was surprised that rubber mats front and back, plus load liner was coming in at around £130,the whole pack is £188. The description of the pack includes a film covering of rear bumper loading lip to make the difference. TPS guy said its about £90 on its own and said it isn't a film. If the pack description says it's a film, but it isn't, is it a solid plastic stick-on? Anyone got the protection pack to confirm what the load sill protection actually is?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Is it this one perhaps? ID3 Rear bumper protector, black – Volkswagen Parts UK

If it is, I think I much prefer the the one that Simon-g linked to.
That does look more like something which warrants a VW RRP of about £100 as the TPS guy was alluding to.

I agree that the 3rd party £53 one looks much better.

Looks then that (due to a lack of decent 3rd party options) I'll be buying the VW rubber mats front and back, the VW load liner and the 3rd party sill protector.

The VW protector doesn't even have any overhang to protect the outer edge of the bumper top, where most damage is likely to occur.

I got "Gledring" (German) branded rubber mats and load liner for my A4 and they're better than OEM for half the price, unfortunately they haven't done anything for the ID3 yet.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
204 Posts
I got "Gledring" (German) branded rubber mats and load liner for my A4 and they're better than OEM for half the price, unfortunately they haven't done anything for the ID3 yet.
I'll keep an eye out for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts