Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to decide pretty pronto between ordering a Leaf 40 or Ioniq 38 with not enough time to get to dealer to check it properly in the flesh.

On paper, the Ioniq has about 10% less boot capacity than the Leaf.

It ticks every other box except this one. Has anybody compared or had experience of the Ioniq boot vs Leaf? Is it noticeably less?

The inoniq looks as thought it’s a bigger car but how that translates into boot space can be deceiving.

Similarly so can the volumetric capacity on paper. A boot with more heigh capacity isn’t as useable (for daily shopping etc) as one that has more boot floor space.
Is that the case with the Ioniq?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Need to decide pretty pronto between ordering a Leaf 40 or Ioniq 38 with not enough time to get to dealer to check it properly in the flesh.

On paper, the Ioniq has about 10% less boot capacity than the Leaf.

It ticks every other box except this one. Has anybody compared or had experience of the Ioniq boot vs Leaf? Is it noticeably less?

The inoniq looks as thought it’s a bigger car but how that translates into boot space can be deceiving.

Similarly so can the volumetric capacity on paper. A boot with more heigh capacity isn’t as useable (for daily shopping etc) as one that has more boot floor space.
Is that the case with the Ioniq?
How important is the boot space to you? What kind of things do you need it for?

Personally, I'd take the higher efficiency especially at motorway speeds, thermal management, more reliable app over the Nissan Leaf. But that's because the boot space is more than plenty for my personal situation

·
Zoe Devotee
8,307 Posts
Personally I'd take boot capacity over range, no point in undertaking a trip if you can't take all the stuff you need. ;) That said if I had to pick between Ioniq and Leaf the Ioniq will win every time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The RIDC (who are normally reliable) give these measurements:

MeasurementLEAFIoniq
Length of boot floor - back row of seats folded down or removed1535mm1630mm
Length of boot floor - back row of seats upright796mm905mm
Vertical height of boot opening914mm657mm
Boot sill height to floor of car247mm120mm
Boot sill height to ground714mm735mm
Width of boot floor at narrowest point960mm1000mm
Width of boot opening - bottom816mm935mm

So put simply the Ioniq boot is longer and wider, but much less deep. This makes it much more usable except for carrying large boxes with a smallest dimension of > 657mm. As previous posters, it all depends on what you want to carry - it is better for most things such as bikes, suitcases but less good for assembled furniture.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How important is the boot space to you? What kind of things do you need it for?

Personally, I'd take the higher efficiency especially at motorway speeds, thermal management, more reliable app over the Nissan Leaf. But that's because the boot space is more than plenty for my personal situation
Thanks All,

More often than not, weekly family shop which maybe a few bags but then occasionally it could be more and of course odd trip requiring suitcases.

I'm sure it will be enough. As I say, on paper it sounds like it's less than not only the Leaf I was looking to order but also less than my existing car.

I'm going to nip down to a my local Dealer tonight to have a look at an Ioniq in the flesh. not sure if they have full EV though and how different internal dimensions will be to Hybrids they have in stock.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
went down to my local dealer. They had a BEV in stock. Boot was wide and long enough but i just couldn't get past the shallow height. The boot floor space was enough for our needs but would probably struggle for occasional stuff.

I think I'll go for it it anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
went down to my local dealer. They had a BEV in stock. Boot was wide and long enough but i just couldn't get past the shallow height. The boot floor space was enough for our needs but would probably struggle for occasional stuff.

I think I'll go for it it anyway.
This is exactly how my wife felt about it when we looked at it at the dealer. We made the same decision, but my wife still thinks it will be too small when it arrives in May.

Depth makes a lot of difference - if you compare side by side to the hybrid, that seems huge in comparison.

This is the problem with the Ioniq - although it was always available in three different flavours PlugIn, Hybrid and Electric, it still isn’t a ground up BEV design with a skateboard chassis, so the battery has to be squeezed into places at the compromise of cabin space. If there is a next gen, maybe it should be electric only...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,352 Posts
I'm glad you are sorted out.
Surprised no one suggested checking Tesla Bjorn's banana box numbers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts