Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
A few times now, the boot has got stuck between open and closed on the safety catch. The car bings at you when you select Drive, so you get out and try to open it to close it... but the boot release button doesn't do anything! You can get out and try to lock the car but it refuses because the boot's only partially latched, but it still refuses to open.
So far the only solution we've found is to walk away, wait 5 minutes for it to shut everything down that it can, then come back, press the unlock button (even though it's not locked) and then you can press the boot release.
This is really annoying! Anyone have any ideas? It sounds like the car isn't sure whether it's open or closed, with the safety bing system saying it's open, but the "He's pressed the boot release, what do I do?" system saying it's closed :(

I'm fairly sure this is linked to one of the ways the car can drain its 12V battery as at least three times when that happened, the boot was mysteriously in this halfway position (even though we're sure we closed it properly), but time will tell as I've now had the BMS update.

Reactions: KiwiME

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,406 Posts
I'd probably go straight to the dealer to report it as faulty. There's nothing worse than a boot that plays silly beggars. Worth checking there isn't crud in the mechanism first though...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also make sure the little plastic stoppers around the hatch are completely screwed tight. Mine were just a little loose creating the problem. I tightened them up (just by hand, no tools required) and never had the issue again.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 replies inside 5 minutes?! That has to be the quickest answers to any of my posts in history :)

Thanks guys. One of the first things I did was wind in the bump stops as otherwise it needed a real slam, and particularly with a dog in the boot, that's not a good thing to be doing. Pushing the tailgate "more" closed and then pressing the button sounds like it's worth a try - good suggestion. I have checked as far as I can in the mechanism and it looks clean, but I'll have another look.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all,
A few times now, the boot has got stuck between open and closed on the safety catch. The car bings at you when you select Drive, so you get out and try to open it to close it... but the boot release button doesn't do anything! You can get out and try to lock the car but it refuses because the boot's only partially latched, but it still refuses to open.
So far the only solution we've found is to walk away, wait 5 minutes for it to shut everything down that it can, then come back, press the unlock button (even though it's not locked) and then you can press the boot release.
This is really annoying! Anyone have any ideas? It sounds like the car isn't sure whether it's open or closed, with the safety bing system saying it's open, but the "He's pressed the boot release, what do I do?" system saying it's closed :(

I'm fairly sure this is linked to one of the ways the car can drain its 12V battery as at least three times when that happened, the boot was mysteriously in this halfway position (even though we're sure we closed it properly), but time will tell as I've now had the BMS update.
I found this is because the car has been locked. If you drive away and boot is not closed and it pings, the auto lock has probably engaged. Press the door lock release switch on the drivers door first and the boot should respond correctly.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife did have to drive back from Sainsbury's yesterday with it binging all the way home because she'd tried using the fob to lock and then unlock the car. Hadn't thought of the general door unlock button by the driver - good thought, thanks.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly definitely didn't work for my wife or me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts