Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is it.

I've come to the conclusion that EVs have had a big role in destroying my enthusiasm, my passion, for cars.

Ever since I was a child I was into cars, I loved them. I used to spend hours drawing cars, cars of the future, sports cars, cars with gadgets on them... I watched Knight Rider, Smokey and the Bandit, everything and anything with fast cars in it... James Bond, loved the cars!

As I grew older I got more and more in to Minis, owned one as my first car (inherited), then another, we ended up with many, and Beetles and other weird (as well as more sensible) motors... I loved cars and in particular small and fast ones.

I was such a Mini nut I started a site that got pretty big, then from that I started a new MINI website, which got relatively huge, and then I drove that MINI E.

Over time, this whole EV thing has eaten at me, and now we own one. Now anything else just bores me. It's old, it's out of date, it's not interesting.

I still admire and enjoy old cars I guess, but I see them all almost as classics, something that used to matter, that used to be "the thing" something to be preserved for future generations to see what we used to do... But as vehicles, as something to drive in and enjoy... Not any more.

Now when new ICE vehicles come out, literally the only thing I care about is the design, its gadgets and its tech. I couldn't give a monkeys about any of the actual, important "car" stuff any more. Ooh, 5 more miles per gallon, ooh, it's a bit quicker off the line... Nice to see they're still trying with this age-old tech, but really, I don't care, they're clinging on to something that should be dead and gone.

So that's it, well done all you in the EV world, you've killed a man-childs passion...

But on the flip side you've given him a new one, and one that's way more interesting and changing much quicker and in more exciting ways than his old one ever did. Thanks.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
time you converted that old love to electric... here's my latest project :)

View attachment 213
Give me that and a cabrio Karmann Ghia and my wife and son would be overjoyed!

To be honest, I think VWs lack of exploitation and "proper" updates the camper style, range and name is criminal. So much room for battery/hybrid tech in a retro-cool design. The fools.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Having come across this thread again, I have to admit the same. I have always been a car fan, bought the magazines, watched the TV been to Motorshows etc. We as a family might very soon be in a position of requiring a second car, but all none EV cars while can be aesthetically pleasing I can't get past the old tech under the bonnet and the fact that using a non renewable resource like Oil for us to get around day to day is wasteful and harmful. I know that Electricity isn't 100% clean or renewable at the moment but maybe one day it might be.

I might be, at a push persuaded by a PHEV, but the though of owning and running a car without some form of EV propulsion (the more the better!) just doesn't interest me anymore.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Curiously enough, I have never had any enthusiasm whatever for cars. Nasty, smelly, noisy, dangerous things. Apart from the Thatcher (spit!) years, i have owned a car since 1976. However, now I own a Leaf I am actually quite keen on it.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Over time, this whole EV thing has eaten at me, and now we own one. Now anything else just bores me. It's old, it's out of date, it's not interesting.

Now when new ICE vehicles come out, literally the only thing I care about is the design, its gadgets and its tech. I couldn't give a monkeys about any of the actual, important "car" stuff any more. Ooh, 5 more miles per gallon, ooh, it's a bit quicker off the line... Nice to see they're still trying with this age-old tech, but really, I don't care, they're clinging on to something that should be dead and gone.

So that's it, well done all you in the EV world, you've killed a man-childs passion...

But on the flip side you've given him a new one, and one that's way more interesting and changing much quicker and in more exciting ways than his old one ever did. Thanks.
I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for @Paul our to congratulate him!
I have though found myself in a similar place of obsession with all types of EV, the tech, the gadgets, battery capacity etc.

But interestingly, I've got here from a completely different place. Other than the obvious excitement about having wheels for the first time, I was never much into cars - they were just a convenient and necessary tool to get to work and visit friends. As an illustration (or maybe it's the reason why I never got obsessed) my first car was a one of the early Nissan Micra's.... Even then the pleasure of owning a car was tinged with guilt about it running on petrol and the (small) contribution that this made to the environmental problems of air pollution and CO² etc.

Now rather than guilt I can feel as though my ownership of an EV is helping make a small contribution in the right direction and also helping show others that it's not such a daft idea any more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts