Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Property

After the bloke rolled my car off the trailer of his massive lorry, he began to reverse out of my development and the trailer took a swerve as he passed my existing Zoe just across the street from my house. You literally can't make it up.

This is the body damage. His insurer is on the hook for everything obviously and my insurer (Aviva) is coordinating the repair so far.

For the bodywork, they've recommended me a non Renault approved garage. I'm pushing back on that.

It was a low speed direct hit on the driver side door. I wonder if there's any structural damage? I'm thinking not, seems like it's just the door panel really. Could any competent body shop handle this do you guys think or are there going to be special EV components in there I'll need to worry about?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
It'll be down to the insurer. Nothing special about this repair.

But when I had a similar repair done on a Zoe, the Renault garage was the best price.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why would you do a half arsed job fitting second hand parts from a scrapper when you’re not at fault?
Because the door I linked to was painted in the factory, and baked. Whereas any door that a repairer finds will have to be painted. This may look okay for a year or so, but eventually will fade at a different rate to the rest of the car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Absolutely no guarantee it’ll actually match the rest of the car though! It’s how you repair worthless bangers.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,380 Posts
Your not the Blue 205 GTi guy on youtube are you?

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,600 Posts
Ooooooofffffffffffff

That's about all I can say

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,565 Posts
Because the door I linked to was painted in the factory, and baked. Whereas any door that a repairer finds will have to be painted. This may look okay for a year or so, but eventually will fade at a different rate to the rest of the car.
This may shock you, but an approved paint shop has paint curing ovens.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
For the bodywork, they've recommended me a non Renault approved garage. I'm pushing back on that.

It was a low speed direct hit on the driver side door. I wonder if there's any structural damage? I'm thinking not, seems like it's just the door panel really. Could any competent body shop handle this do you guys think or are there going to be special EV components in there I'll need to worry about?
Insurers like you to use their preferred body shops, keeps the costs as low as possible, but it’s your right to take it for repair wherever you want to.

They might make it less convenient to do so, like insisting you pay the bill first before claiming it back etc, but most insurance approved big body shops know what they’re doing, so I’d be happy it went to one of those for that sort of repair.

Hopefully the white paint will be easy to match, is it pearlescent? My wife reversed into a silver Audi of mine once on the driveway, the new repainted door was never a perfect match in all lights or angles, despite 3 attempts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.