Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Currently: Zoe Q90. Ordered: Mokka-e Elite Nav Premium
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to look up if there are any special parking exemptions for electric vehicles in Bournemouth as I have seen other towns have. I discovered the Off Street Parking Places 2018 document which lists all the parking exemptions and rules locally, which is great.

Below is the section that is particularly interesting.

After reading. I emailed the local council, who put me in touch with the deputy parking services manager who agreed, yes, I can park anywhere off-street for free except for in the two town centre car park's that are pay on foot car parks. I emailed back asking how the Parking Enforcement Officer would know that my car was electric and not to ticket it. The response was that they would just know and it would be fine.

A few days later they emailed back again to appologise as they had been mistaken and it was actually completely the opposite way around. I couldn't park in any car park EXCEPT for the two pay on foot car parks in town. Okay, fine.

This weekend I decided to use it for the first time, I went into one of the pay on foot car parks and as I was leaving I spoke to the two attendants in the office who said "I'm sorry no, there is no free parking for electric vehicles here or anywhere, except for the other town centre car park where there is a rapid charger, you can get free parking while charging. But there is no free parking here, you've been misled". I paid and left a bit red faced after it seemed like I was trying to blag something for free when I'd actually been told that it was free.

So now I'm going back to the council again as I'm 99% sure after reading again that the original presumption that I can park in any of the car parks except the two town centre ones is correct. We're in a situation where this document does say I get free parking somewhere but nobody can agree on where. Am I really the first person in Bournemouth to challenge it and try it out? Probably not surprising when it's hidden in a non-searchable PDF.

Any advice welcome, but I'll keep you posted on where this goes from here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oooh, yes, let me know what happens.

Free parking would be fantastic considering how much it costs to park in Bournemouth (a few years ago, evening parking e.g. for Meal/Cinema was £1, now it is £5!)

·
CTiD
409 Posts
Oooh, yes, let me know what happens.

Free parking would be fantastic considering how much it costs to park in Bournemouth (a few years ago, evening parking e.g. for Meal/Cinema was £1, now it is £5!)
Not EV related but in Stockport near Manchester my Step-Mother parks a Toyota IQ free of charge in town centre car parks as it's tax exempt.. SWMBO has a Smart 451 For-Two and I assume that is the same also

Some local councils are making it a little easier to use smaller, tax exempt vehicles it seems

·
Registered
27 Posts
"Probably not surprising when it's hidden in a non-searchable PDF."
Yes, really annoying!

I read this as, providing it isn't a pay on foot car park then it is free.

So, Richmond Gardens/BIC you would have to pay, central car park should be free.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I read the whole docydocu and agree with the Council's first statement: free parking except in pay on foot.

Interestingly the definition of EV contains: "(battery only powered electric vehicle)". So parking attendant will have to know i3 Vs i3 rex?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok, so going through the archives:

Provision for free parking for EV was present in Bournemouth Council at least as far back as 2013. This was ammended in 2015, 2017, 2018 but never removed. The only change was the following:

2015-18: "vi) an electric vehicle parked in accordance with paragraph 2.22(a) may also park free of charge."

2013: "vi) an electric vehicle parked in accordance with paragraph 2.22(a) may also park free of charge in pay on foot car parks."

So in 2015 pay on foot car parks were changed so EVs had to pay.

https://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/trav...er2015ParkingChargesReviewDepositDocument.pdf

Anyway, this isn't anything new - though superbly well hidden - and the council should have been able to give you a proper answer.

Edit: I now understand the strange wording. Initially it would have read "vi) an electric vehicle" but then someone tried to add the "pay-on-foot", then someone else removed it and now we are left with a useless sentence where 2.22 is self referential.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edit: I now understand the strange wording. Initially it would have read "vi) an electric vehicle" but then someone tried to add the "pay-on-foot", then someone else removed it and now we are left with a useless sentence where 2.22 is self referential.
Yup that's what I think has happened too. The extra reference back to 2.22 is superflous. I'm a bit of a loss at what else to do when the parking manager doesn't recognise it. Hopefully they'll get someone else to clarify.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pixelmatt - did you get any further clarification on this?
Or has anyone tried parking in Bournemouth yet to see what happens?
So I called the deputy parking manager today after having no response to my email. Their response was "I get a lot of letters so it's still on my list to respond to".

I did ask if they could just discuss it with me on the phone but they said they can't as they need to speak to the parking manager with regards to the wording.

Sounds to me like a new document will be issued in the next few weeks that rescinds this benefit to be honest.

My monthly parking permit expires today and needs to be renewed tomorrow. I'm honestly tempted to not renew it then when I get a parking ticket, challenge it. It's probably quicker than waiting for a response!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.