Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 40kw Zoe is now due to arrive before September which is great news, and by chance I now have a conference to attend for work in the first week of September. I have been to Aberystwyth in the past and got the train but thought as I'll be so excited about my new car I would drive it and get paid mileage as it's a work trip.

Unfortunately Wales seems to have missed the memo on EVs and chargers. It seems my last shot at a rapid charge would be Moto Services Aust (J1 M48) and then I'd have to make it all the way to Aberystwyth and back on that charge (106 miles each way). It's just not happening. Aberystwyth seems to have just 1 charger which is a 3 pin plug at Aber Instruments, but one look at zap-map seems to suggest it's nearly impossible to arrange charging and you can only use it during business hours. My poor Zoe would take about 25 hours to charge on 3 pin. At the minute my only option is to try contacting them and ask them if I can leave Zoe charging there for over a day (doubt they will say yes) or just give in and get the train.

Don't suppose there are any new rapids planned for Wales between now and September..

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There's a rapid planned for Bronllys, near Brecon, but it's Instavolt, who only do DC charging, so no good for a Zoe anyway.

Chargemaster's Polar network have been making noises about trying to get rapids installed in mid Wales, but they've been having problems finding suitable sites with available power.

It may seem a bit perverse, but a longer route might work out more feasible. There's a rapid charger at Nant-y-Ci near Carmarthen now. A good charge there should see you to Aberystwyth and back, but you do get to see more of the M4 than you may like.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
You could drive to South Wales and get train to Aberystwyth from there. Achieves a long drive in Zoe with no mid Wales charging grief!

Edit: Colleague just said not easy there by train from South Wales and suggested drive to Shewsbury as direct train from there. Who knew?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
You could drive to South Wales and get train to Aberystwyth from there. Achieves a long drive in Zoe with no mid Wales charging grief!

Edit: Colleague just said not easy there by train from South Wales and suggested drive to Shewsbury as direct train from there. Who knew?
The Welsh Government knows this; they are looking into the feasibility of re-opening a railway line from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth, because they like the idea of being able to go from North to South Wales without going via England.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's easily doable in a 40kWh zoe, charge at Pont Abraham services at the end of the M4 and it's just 64 miles to Aberystwyth. If that charger is unavailable then there's the one at nant-y-ci park and ride, which is then just 51 miles to Aberystwyth, and remember once you get off the motorway roads are slower so you'll get better efficiency and you may get stuck behind the odd caravan or tractor which will really boost your range. In dry weather I would have no hesitation about going from nant-y-ci to Aberystwyth and back in my Leaf 30, you even have a couple of type 2 charge points not far off the route.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's easily doable in a 40kWh zoe, charge at Pont Abraham services at the end of the M4 and it's just 64 miles to Aberystwyth. If that charger is unavailable then there's the one at nant-y-ci park and ride, which is then just 51 miles to Aberystwyth, and remember once you get off the motorway roads are slower so you'll get better efficiency and you may get stuck behind the odd caravan or tractor which will really boost your range. In dry weather I would have no hesitation about going from nant-y-ci to Aberystwyth and back in my Leaf 30, you even have a couple of type 2 charge points not far off the route.
Yeah this could be an option I guess. It requires me going in a more roundabout way but just checked it out on maps and I think it only adds about 30 minutes to the Journey which is alright. Will do some scoping for this route, thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try giving the venue a call and see if they have any charge points or 3 pin plug whilst you are at the conference. You won’t have lost anything if they say no

·
Loadshedding
304 Posts
Spotted a Fast in Cardigan or Aberteifi as they say but iced last weekend. Good spot for an hours lunch.
Welcome to Wales Pixelmat and feel free to join the list of requesters trying to persuade Welsh government to get this sorted. Now if there was a Rapid in Abergavenny.........:)

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
You might be in luck- there's a photo on the i3 Facebook group of the groundworks for a new Polar Ultracharger that are being undertaken at the Cletwr community cafe/shop near Machynlleth - it was apparently taken by someone on the UK Leaf forum but I don't have any details.

Google Maps

·
Registered
223 Posts
You are definitely going to be in luck. Cletwr announced it on their facebook page earlier today along with a photo of the Polar Sign that has been errected. Looks like it's very close to going live:-

Cletwr

·
Registered
436 Posts
Pixelmatt, in terms of charging there you may be able to speak to the university there. They may be able to help, a few of them are EV owners themselves. I can try to get you in contact with a few people if you like, just drop me a message!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The conference is actually at the university so I will message the organisers (university staff) and see what they say, if I don't have any luck I will get back to you.

In terms of the new charger at Cletwr that is great. Could solve my problem so I'll keep an eye on it!

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Spotted a Fast in Cardigan or Aberteifi as they say but iced last weekend. Good spot for an hours lunch.
Welcome to Wales Pixelmat and feel free to join the list of requesters trying to persuade Welsh government to get this sorted. Now if there was a Rapid in Abergavenny.........:)
Are you sure that's not the village pump? ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don’t bother with Nant-ty- Ci in Carmarthen this rapid charge has never worked. There are slow chargers at all national Trust properties, at the Red Kite Feeding centre. There is also a lovely private charge point in Borth who is more than happy for you to charge there. In addition to a rapid charge at Tesla Mansion - for Tesla’s (!) unless you have an adapter. Overall Wales is pretty useless at rapid charge points. A journey from north east wales to south west wales now takes at least 7 hours compared to the previous 3.5 hours - making weekend trips to Pembrokeshire family near impossible. We love making a day of travelling and would never have discovered the beautiful National Trust beach at Penbryn had it not had a charge point. However there are times when you need to reach your final destination just a little bit quicker.
Does anyone know when the new proposed rapid charge point in Machynlleth will be operational?

There's a rapid planned for Bronllys, near Brecon, but it's Instavolt, who only do DC charging, so no good for a Zoe anyway.

Chargemaster's Polar network have been making noises about trying to get rapids installed in mid Wales, but they've been having problems finding suitable sites with available power.

It may seem a bit perverse, but a longer route might work out more feasible. There's a rapid charger at Nant-y-Ci near Carmarthen now. A good charge there should see you to Aberystwyth and back, but you do get to see more of the M4 than you may like.
b

·
Super Moderator
11,474 Posts
There isn't a viable plan B if that one rapid fails.

Take the train. From North Wales, I'd take the T2 bus or an ICE.

Can the university provide charging? Bangor has private type-2 charge points that aren't on Zap-map.

·
Super Moderator
11,474 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts