Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just returned last week from a trip Bournemouth University to Newton Hall Holiday Park, Staining Road Blackpool in my 30kw 2016 leaf, some 293 miles, 1500ml on the clock purchased in April from Westover Nissan Bournemouth.

I planned it pretty carefully, and decided (as I'm a skinflint) to check out Westover Nissan Bournemouth's boast that the nationwide network of Nissan dealerships rapid chargers were open to all Leaf buyers. I worked out my route there and back, realising I had to make the first leg the longest as further charges may only go to 80%.
Wessex Nissan Gloucester was my first stop, I made it mostly on minor b and c roads over Cranborne Chase then through Shaftesbury, Chipping Sodbury, Wickwar, M5 on a wing and a prayer with flashing warnings of imminent battery failure. I didn't go over 55mph the whole leg and used eco mode and regen braking. The distance to Wessex Nissan Gloucester was 103 miles plus a couple when I had trouble locating the right road to access the industrial estate.

The Chademo charger here has issues and it took ages, but we had a spot of lunch at a nearby pub and it did not affect our journey. We had our 6 year-old autistic granddaughter with us and so we had to remain calm while the lights and warnings were flashing away on the dash. If she had not been there I would surely have copped an earful from the lovely Jane about electric cars - why didn't we take her car etc etc.

After lunch we headed to Holdcroft Nissan in Stoke-on-Trent, this stop took a whole 18minutes to get us back up to 93%, barely time for a rest-room break and a coffee.
Then to the caravan and we still had 18% left. Standard 3-pin plug out of the caravan window and in the morning 100%. We stayed over the August Bank Holiday and set off again the following Tuesday.

This time the first and longest leg took us to Brindley Nissan at Cannock. Very rapid charge and on our way after some lunch in a nearby transport cafe and off to Fish Bros. Swindon via the M6 toll. This time we weren't too bothered about eking it out as we had more experience and stuck to 66mph most of the way. Another quick turn around at Fish Bros. and we were back home in time for a cold beer and dinner at 6.00 o'clock.

One caveat. If anyone contemplates doing this sort of trip, ring each and every Nissan dealer you intend to use at least a week in advance. I also rang them on the day before, just in case there was a problem. Get the name of the person to whom you speak, then when you get there, if a vehicle is parked in the way, you give reception that name and tell them it has been arranged for a week. Do all that and you will have a smooth (and no dipping hands in the pocket or purse) trip.

The only downside is that you have limited options for meals, but Google maps is your friend and usually around these garages there are food options for all the workers. It's certainly as good as you will get on the motorway services, and a lot cheaper with less hassle.

I have to say I was very impressed with the attitude and helpfulness of each and every one of these dealers, they went out of their way to assist my wife and I with the little one and showed us the best places for food options etc., each dealership plied us with tea and coffee while we waited, it turned what could have been a real hassle into a pleasurable experience.

I don't think Nissan emphasise to prospective buyers this nationwide dealer rapid charge network, doing my almost 600 miles did not cost me a penny and was a breeze, but when I bought my car in April it was just a passing comment, hardly mentioned at all.

Tony

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I guess the thing is, they dont really WANT a big line of cars queuing for their one rapid unit, or any time they need it for internal use theres someone already using it, and potentially have left the car there and gone off for an extended lunch or whatever.
So while its "available" its unlikely to ever be hugely publicised, and i'm not sure its 100% reliable either... If you turn up and its being used, or the grumpy manager is on who cant be arsed moving the four cars double parked in front of it, theres not a great deal you can do if they say get stuffed!

·
Registered
918 Posts
How much do you value your time? I would just have used one of the numerous charging networks available, had a more direct journey, saved time both before the trip by not having to ring numerous dealerships multiple times, and during the trip by not diverting to actually charge at a dealership, and not suffered any hassle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I'm retired so time is not that critical for me and I wanted to try my new (to me) car on a longer run. It was an experiment, and I wanted to push it to see what it would do distance-wise.

It was an interesting excercise and next time I may try the more indirect route via the motorway. It was a beautiful run over some of the most gorgeous Dorset countryside over Cranborne Chase and then Somerset to Gloucester.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I rarely rely on Nissan rapid anymore. It is constantly hogged by folks wanting a full charge.

Last time I went to one near me, a Leaf40 was still at 90% and it took over 20 mins to reach 94%. I tried explaining that he could use the pod point next to the rapid as charge rate was lower than 16A.

In the end I got tired of waiting. I'm hoping Polar get a rapid around my area (this year). I'm going to start using Genie point at nearby Shell from next time onwards.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I rarely rely on Nissan rapid anymore. It is constantly hogged by folks wanting a full charge.

Last time I went to one near me, a Leaf40 was still at 90% and it took over 20 mins to reach 94%. I tried explaining that he could use the pod point next to the rapid as charge rate was lower than 16A.

In the end I got tired of waiting. I'm hoping Polar get a rapid around my area (this year). I'm going to start using Genie point at nearby Shell from next time onwards.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Hermit Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing