Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What on earth is it and why would I want it?

I dont recall ever having to loginto anything to get my wall charger working. Am I missing out any anything at all by not utilising it and I take it that if i let it lapse and not make a payment it will keep on working as usual?

These questions have been triggered by me recently recieving the message below by e-mail, has anyone else had one?

As a loyal customer to Chargemaster (now trading as BP Chargemaster), we hugely appreciate your commitment to shaping the future of the Electric Vehicle industry by purchasing an EV and a BP Chargemaster Homecharge Unit.

When you originally purchased our Homecharge Unit it came with a 3 year communications package providing access to BP Chargemaster’s ChargeVision platform. This package period has now come to end. However, as a thank you for your custom we are offering you an option to extend this package and access to the ChargeVision platform for a cost of only £50 for the next 3 years (usual price £95).

To take full advantage of this offer, please email [email protected] stating your name, and your contact telephone number, and if you have a preferred time/date to take a call. One of our team will then ring you to confirm the renewal of your access to ChargeVision and to take payment.

If this offer is not taken up over the next 30 days, we will send you a confirmation saying that the comms element within your Homecharge unit will be deactivated and your login in details to the ChargeVision platform will be no longer apply.

We also would like to take this opportunity to share with you about our Polar Plus membership, which for £7.85 a month you can access the UK’s largest electric charging network away from your home. For those first-time users, the first three months’ membership is FREE! Please visit https://polar-network.com/ for more information.

If you have any questions about the comms package or ChargeVision, please do not hesitate to contact one of our friendly team at [email protected]

We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I had that last week. I emailed to ask them what it was all about, but guess what...? No reply.
In my case my original CM charger was installed by British Gas six years ago and a new one installed last year hence the 3 years mentioned makes zero sense at all.
They say they look forward to hearing from us so it would help if they acted on any responses.
@BPChargemaster this is about YOU.

·
Premium Member
12,470 Posts
Since I got my Polar unit 5 years ago and the warranty replacement after almost 3 years, I used my logon to see how much electric I have used for charging.

It is the same logon for my Polar Plus which is handy, but I can't see that much value, so won't be taking them up on the offer :rolleyes: Personally I feel they should offer free to Polar Plus subscribers.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I suspect they simply finally realised they're paying for SIM subscriptions for many installations for no revenue.
I have no interest in the data so I just ignored the email.
My charge point is also 5 years old.
At the time the OLEV requirement was for data on usage.

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
As I understand it, the comms capability was to provide usage data "back to base" that was paid for by OLEV as a part of the grant funding system. The contract that was paying for this data collection has now ended, and OLEV haven't renewed it, so BP Chargemaster are trying to get users to pay for the data connection, so that they can continue to collect usage data.

This is, in some part, a guess, as when I built our house I applied to have a free charge point installed, and when the chap came around to do the survey he told me that I couldn't have a free one, as there was no mobile signal, so the unit wouldn't have been able to send usage data. He told me that free charge points (at that time, around 5 years ago now) were only available in areas where there was a mobile signal, as they were only free if usage data could be collected. I'm not convinced this was true, as he then went on to try and sell me a charge point at a "discounted price", and I declined and decided to design and build my own (another story).

So, unless your usage data is worth you paying £50 for three years, then I'd be inclined to just ignore it. The charge point will work fine without the data link back to base, you can even remove the SIM card I believe if you're concerned about data privacy (although I'm pretty sure that's not needed).

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I find it quite nice to see a list of the charges I have done at home, but I can't believe that they actually think anyone would pay just to see a list of the charges they've done at home, which is all you would get if you are not a PolarPlus subscriber.

All hope of a more sensible approach to encouraging EV take-up when BP 'took over' seem to have gone out of the window then.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV
2,349 Posts
I've got a Chargemaster unit, but they never mentioned anything about being able to login and view any data. What's the web address?
Chargevision3.com

Usually you'll find you can use any email that you've used in talking to Chargemaster (e.g. to arrange an install) and click on Forgot Your Password? to get a login. But maybe that's changed now they want you to pay for it.

Reactions: Flying Dodo

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Chargevision3.com
Usually you'll find you can use any email that you've used in talking to Chargemaster (e.g. to arrange an install) and click on Forgot Your Password? to get a login. But maybe that's changed now they want you to pay for it.
Well, having now logged into the platform, it turns out despite having a Polar Plus subscription, and one of their home chargers, they don't show me as having ever charged with them at all in the last 2 years.

So I'm not missing out if they're now bringing in a cost for their Chargevision platform!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Nothing recorded on my account either! So they want £50 for absolutely... nothing.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Out of curiosity I tried mine.
Apparently I charge a PHEV in Cheltenham (biggest charge 8.3kWh).
Quality.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Charge point installed September 2015. I received same email a couple of days ago and replied by asking what letter meant and what benefits signing up would give me. No reply to date.

Logged on to BP Chargemaster site for first time through link provided by Roger Davis and viewed my account. Have to say that the information there is of little interest nor can I see any real benefit to me.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
34,790 Posts
The data on "chargevision" was absolute garbage. I told OLEV it was garbage and wasn't working and they couldn't give a shyte.

It is a sop to politicians so when they come asking why OLEV is dishing out money for OVERPRICED charge points then there is some wittering excuse that they are collecting data.

What data? Why? Like 'I have an EV and I need to charge it!'... well bu**er me. Fancy that.

The sooner all the grants stop the quicker all this stuff will come down in price. It is better for money to be given direct to consumers to make their own choices. This is just a way to funnel public money to cronies.

As mentioned above, it has probably just occurred to Polar that they are still paying for the SIM data connection and probably never thought about how to turn it off!! Haaahahha.... or maybe they didn't think their charge points would last for more than 1 year post warranty? Who knows. But, no, definitely don't pay it, the data accuracy from the charge points is hopeless.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I tried the O2 m2m SIM out of my used cm point that I took the cellular modem out of, damn SIM wouldn't work for s**t on anything useful... The bastards...

·
Premium Member
12,470 Posts
From 1 June all new OLEV chargers need to have connectivity again - the requirement was dropped a while ago.

This tine it is more about "smart" capability so demand side control can be implemented. I assume WiFi connectivity is acceptable (I have not checked regs) but BP-CM don't have a WiFi unit, so I assume will start enabling the 2G connectivity again?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
When you originally purchased our Homecharge Unit it came with a 3 year communications package providing access to BP Chargemaster’s ChargeVision platform. This package period has now come to end. However, as a thank you for your custom we are offering you an option to extend this package and access to the ChargeVision platform for a cost of only £50 for the next 3 years (usual price £95).

To take full advantage of this offer, please email [email protected] stating your name, and your contact telephone number, and if you have a preferred time/date to take a call. One of our team will then ring you to confirm the renewal of your access to ChargeVision and to take payment.

If this offer is not taken up over the next 30 days, we will send you a confirmation saying that the comms element within your Homecharge unit will be deactivated and your login in details to the ChargeVision platform will be no longer apply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.