1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this from BP/Polar about tariff changes:

Our 150kW chargers are changing
Over the last year, we have been expanding our network of 150kW chargers at bp fuel stations. There are now over 50 of our 150kW chargers operational across the country and our 51st unit made us the UK’s largest public ultra-fast charging network.

Since we started installing our 150kW charging network, our customers have charged with some of the cheapest tariffs in the market, and we intend to continue this going forward. We are constantly reviewing our tariffs in line with our expansion plan, and need to ensure we can continue to invest in our network and cover the increasing demand for high-powered charging.

From the 4th December, we are changing the tariff on our 150kW chargers. Polar Plus subscribers will pay 27p per kWh to use our 150kW chargers, which is still the lowest cost* for nationwide high-powered public charging. Full details of the new tariffs (per kWh) can be seen in the table below.

NB: If image does not display, 150kW kWh tariffs are as follows; 27p/kWh for Polar Plus, 42p/kWh for Polar Instant and 47p/kWh for Contactless

We want to help our customers experience high-powered charging at bp forecourts. That's why, effective from 4th December, every new 150kW charger installed on the Polar network will be on free vend for the first two weeks - no authentication needed, just click start and stop charge on the screen.

Please also note, there will also be a routine system outage on the bp Chargemaster app between 22:00-00:00 on Tuesday 2nd December. To access the Polar network during these hours, please use a Polar Plus RFID access card or our live map guest payment service, or your contactless bank card on rapid and ultra-fast charge points. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for continuing to be a part of bp Chargemaster and the Polar network.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Same here, does say will be free vend for 2 weeks from 4 December...

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The break even point for Polar Plus on 150kW chargers is just over 50kWh a month so I guess this is an attempt to encourage subscriptions?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Their inability to sort out the junk status data is deeply frustrating. Always the same, chargers they know full well are faulty or inactive are still reported as good.
According to recent (November 13th) news from Polar, "Our team of skilled engineers will be visiting each public 50kW Ultracharge unit on the Polar network in the next 4 weeks."

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
323 Posts
I suspect the Polestar's UK free £450's will be sent out after the 2nd of December!

47p (or 42p with the app) is high. Still not Ionity high ... but more expensive than Shell Recharge (37p ?) or InstaVolt (35p)

Without competition prices will remain high. What we really don't want is a monopoly. For most of us who only do 2-4 big trips a year it won't matter, however for those who need the network daily looks like you'll be forking out for that £8pm

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I suspect the Polestar's UK free £450's will be sent out after the 2nd of December!

47p (or 42p with the app) is high. Still not Ionity high ... but more expensive than Shell Recharge (37p ?) or InstaVolt (35p)

Without competition prices will remain high. What we really don't want is a monopoly. For most of us who only do 2-4 big trips a year it won't matter, however for those who need the network daily looks like you'll be forking out for that £8pm
For one-off charging, initially it seems a bit pricey compared to the competition. However it can make sense, unless you don't mind sitting on a rapid wasting time when you could be doing something more profitable. For example if you've got an older generation EV with a 50kW charging limit, on a standard rapid you'll only get around 42kWh (might be even worse if it's Ecotricity)! On a 150kW Ultracharger, you'll get fairly close to a 50kWh rate of charge, until the battery starts whatever tapering it might do. 5 or 10 minutes less time wasted is surely worth at least £2.50?

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
261 Posts
I hate to say that but...this is the future. They all will start pumping up the prices. Maintenance, wholesale prices, demand.....Anyone who is thinking that in the future the EV will be "cheap" to fuel up is living in a dream land. Yes it will be cheaper overall to run compering with ICE cars but never the less the cost of owning and running one will rise.
I came across several postings around here regarding servicing cost and some of the bills are eye watering.
I would like to believe that the choice we made to buy EV's is more about the world we live in rather than money saving.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I think VW are taking a page out of Tesla's book; ID.3 glossy brochure says Vehicles powered only by electric motor need Inspection Service every 2 years, unlimited mileage, subsequent services every 1 year or 20,000 miles whichever's soonest. Seems fair to me. Just how much can they charge for my (first) Inspection service in 2 years time? Anyone in a Hydrogen-Ev (Nexo,...) is going to have a steep bill for air filters, that's for sure!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
24p on contactless for 350kW at the new Gridserve location. (Even less with membership, presumably)

Granted, it's only one location at the moment, but it's one of the few operators pushing the price down, rather than up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts