Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
we thought we would go with the flow and use the free BP Chargemaster service to get our home charger. After a slightly bizarre phone call with them yesterday, it seems they want to design the installation based only on photographs and then the first they will see my house is when they turn up to fit the unit.

There's a few niggly issues around my installation which mean for my peace of mind that I need a site visit prior to installation to get an "official" check on what can work best within the site's constraints.

So, I just wondered, when I get back to Chargemaster, can I expect them to send someone out if I make a direct request? (The call ended in a bit of confusion yesterday, so they probably don't understand that's not negotiable from my end)

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
My experience was they had a pretty rigid installation process, which they use the photos to confirm they can provide.
They said that if you moved away from that rigid and fixed process, there would be lots of extra charges and no guarantee they'd be able to do the installation. They also have a list of pre-requisites, especially around your consumer unit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's fairly slim-margin stuff (particularly the "free" deals they do for manufacturers) so they generally want to avoid sending someone just to have a look.

Can you knock up a diagram or two to explain the issues to supplement the photos? Although as said the offer is for a fairly straightforward standard install, usually going the shortest/easiest route to where the charger will be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's fairly slim-margin stuff (particularly the "free" deals they do for manufacturers) so they generally want to avoid sending someone just to have a look.

Can you knock up a diagram or two to explain the issues to supplement the photos? Although as said the offer is for a fairly straightforward standard install, usually going the shortest/easiest route to where the charger will be.

Slim margin wasn't the first phrase that springs to mind when dealing with charge point installers.

Licence to print money was more of the phrase that i would use.

Cable 15m 6mm armoured cable @ £2/m comes to £30 ( anything above this is charged at £5/m)
Extra consumer unit and lets be generous at this and say populated £60
Charger with GSM and smart monitoring ? guesing this at about £400 to them?

2.5 man hours for my installation say at £100 per hour for an electrician? £250

So lets say £500 all in for materials and i saw the bill going to renault at £1300 and the had their £500 from the government.

Id take a fair guess at £750 installed. £1050 isnt bad profit for installing a chargepoint.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The following is from the chargemaster T&Cs -

‘Standard installation costs include a cable run under 15 meters to be fixed flush to the wall (cable not trenched or hidden behind walls, through joists, under tiles/carpets/floorboards, aerial or subterranean runs), with the installation carried out by one man within 6 hours.‘

Seems a bit petty to me for them not to be able to run the cable along other routes other then outside along a wall, especially if they’re given 6 hours! Our consumer unit is in the centre of the house so really the only way there is either through joists or behind coving. It’s going to be interesting explaining that to them ? Looks like I’ll end up doing prep work before they arrive, and then giving them a hand when they’re here.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The following is from the chargemaster T&Cs -

‘Standard installation costs include a cable run under 15 meters to be fixed flush to the wall (cable not trenched or hidden behind walls, through joists, under tiles/carpets/floorboards, aerial or subterranean runs), with the installation carried out by one man within 6 hours.‘

Seems a bit petty to me for them not to be able to run the cable along other routes other then outside along a wall, especially if they’re given 6 hours! Our consumer unit is in the centre of the house so really the only way there is either through joists or behind coving. It’s going to be interesting explaining that to them ? Looks like I’ll end up doing prep work before they arrive, and then giving them a hand when they’re here.
I suggest you find a route and install a draw rope. Then you won't have any 'jobsworthery' when the guy arrives.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I suggest you find a route and install a draw rope. Then you won't have any 'jobsworthery' when the guy arrives.
Yup, that’s the plan. Just contemplating which is the easiest route to take! I’ll make sure I’ve got the day off work as well, at least then it’ll be two people doing the job.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you getting a free charger ?? What strings ?
"Standard installation" is free, no real strings, that I've seen at least. As usual the definition of "Standard Installation" is the key - my situation is similar to Dion's with the added complication of an externally insulated house and a tight drive way where I park the car at the top but want the charger at the bottom. Not being versed in the aracane arts of cable running, I've insisted on a site visit which is being arranged for next week. My guess is I'll need to pay for some of what I want installed - I'd prefer to avoid cable runs along my skirting boards, etc.

Was a bit depressed to see people talking about doing their own draw ropes, etc. Not being a DIY'er, I'd rather work with a firm whose tradesmen do the job to a good standard in the first place (and reward them accordingly).

I've been told that Chargemaster are unaware of (or at least do not mention) the £300 extra grant available in Scotland, so maybe that will maybe ease the pain when they quote £500 for extras on my "free installation". Looking forward to that part of the conversation!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Was a bit depressed to see people talking about doing their own draw ropes, etc. Not being a DIY'er, I'd rather work with a firm whose tradesmen do the job to a good standard in the first place (and reward them accordingly).
It can be a bit daunting if someone hasn’t had previous experience in the trade. Luckily I used to work for a general builders so hopefully it shouldn’t be to much trouble (now that I’ve said that something’s bound to go wrong!). Good to see you got a site visit, I’ll do the same to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It can be a bit daunting if someone hasn’t had previous experience in the trade. Luckily I used to work for a general builders so hopefully it shouldn’t be to much trouble (now that I’ve said that something’s bound to go wrong!). Good to see you got a site visit, I’ll do the same to be on the safe side.
Fingers crossed for both of us!
At least Chargemaster came round easily to the request for a site visit once I was able to get away from what I guess was just someone following a script.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am a bit confused
When i spoke to BP Chargemaster there is no such thing as a free charger although the car dealer may pay for it.
I agree on the confusion bit! We had seen from the Renault website that we should get a free charger, but the dealer's paperwork also asked for permission for Scottish Power to contact us about their £99 charger deal, which seemed odd since we told the dealer we wanted to go with Chargemaster. There was no clear indication of how/when Chargemaster would contact us. After a few days though we got a call from them and now we have a home survey arranged for next week.

Someone asked what Chargemaster's "free installation" means - here is a snip from an email I received:
Unit type:S7S: 30amp Socketed - Chargemaster Premium Homecharge - Key Operated with 3 years' access to electricity usage data (you will need a public charging cable to use this charger) *
* Standard Homecharge units are supplied in white. Tethered units are supplied with a blue cable.

On completion of the survey, we will confirm if a Homecharge* unit can be installed
*Single phase Homecharge, including standard installation costs, based on the assumption of eligibility of the OLEV subsidy for a typical home installation. Standard installation costs include a cable run under 15 meters to be affixed flush to the wall (not trenched, under floorboards/carpets/tiles, or behind walls, or through joists). Our offer assumes that no civil works or electrical remedial works are required. Other costs may apply to your specific installation, including the cost to upgrade to a fast-charger. These will be confirmed before any works are undertaken. The key qualifying criteria for a subsidised homecharger is to prove ownership/primary use of an EV, live in a home with modern household electrical installation and off-street parking and/or a garage. Finally, you agree that you will not be claiming back the VAT on the installation, that you meet all the eligibility criteria for an OLEV EVHS grant funded homecharge installation and accept the BP Chargemaster T&C (available on our website). Your electric vehicle is on the approved list of eligible vehicles. If you have opted for a communicating Homecharge unit, the data communication period is for 3 years from the date of installation.

Hope this helps!

PS: My latest worry is that I can't even see the big fuse on the Supplier side - no idea if I have 60A, 100A or what. Awaiting the 'leccy's visit with some trepidation now!

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Only the DNO will be able to positively confirm the supply fuse rating.

Seriously, you Zoe can manage all the charge scheduling from the car. Just install a regular dumb charger, self funded, get quotes from local electricians.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Someone asked what Chargemaster's "free installation" means - here is a snip from an email I received:
Unit type:S7S: 30amp Socketed - Chargemaster Premium Homecharge - Key Operated with 3 years' access to electricity usage data (you will need a public charging cable to use this charger) *
* Standard Homecharge units are supplied in white. Tethered units are supplied with a blue cable.
Any one know what the S7S thing is? I haven't heard of that before and Google can't even find anything relating to it!

The key operated feature is interesting, I would have thought this would be extra. At least others won't be able to use your electric when away. Are you given a choice between tethered and un-tethered? Again I guessed tethered would be extra.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
S7S. will just be their internal code. Eh Single phase 7 KW. Socketed.

The key operated thing is a beginner's worry. If you are away for months and you live in a bad area, simply turn off the circuit breaker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: fuse, I had this updated when we had Smart meters from 60 to 100, worth a check - I was tipped off by my charger manufacturer / installer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: fuse, I had this updated when we had Smart meters from 60 to 100, worth a check - I was tipped off by my charger manufacturer / installer.
Thanks guys for the advice and support! With the help of Google and Youtube I've been able to figure out that I probably have a 1950s-1960s era 60A fuse (Henley Series 3). I'll wait until the survey on Tuesday to see if I need an upgrade as I don't have any other large consumers in the house. I will also consider just using a local company (there seems to be a few who advertise EV services) if Chargemaster get silly with prices for any extra work that needs done.

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
74 Posts
Note that I just found out that the free Charging Point installed by Chargemaster (on behalf of Renault) is specifically designed for the Zoe...... I didn’t realise that.

It states on the top of the installation document “Smartcharge ZE 7kW”, so I guess that was a clue.

Ours was installed recently but we haven’t received our Zoe yet (still waiting for a delivery date). But we do have a Leaf 40 so thought we could use the same charging point.

It did charge okay but out of 8 charges it faulted the charging point (red triangle on the unit) three times. This required the point to be powered down for a few minutes and then powered back on again.

I reported this to Chargemaster and they sent an engineer today to repair/replace the unit. That’s when the engineer told me that the unit tested fine but was faulting because I wasn’t charging a Zoe.

just thought I’d mention this just in case anyone else comes across this.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts