Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the standard Chargemaster box that comes with the Zoe, and not having a great time with it. The original unit failed completely after about 6 weeks of use and the RCD was replaced.

Now a couple of months later (and only 20 overnight charges in) I've had two trips in the last two weeks, both times leaving me with insufficient charge to do the commute.

If we didn't have a second car my wife would now be frantically heading to the local rapid hoping it would be working.

Judging by the buzzing that came out of our consumer unit when I reset the charger there's a component on the way out.

If this is the future we can expect with EVs then it's pretty sucky.

So am I just unlucky, or did I make a mistake in going with the flow and assuming Renault had done due diligence when they chose to partner with Chargemaster?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,100 Posts
I have the standard Chargemaster box that comes with the Zoe, and not having a great time with it. The original unit failed completely after about 6 weeks of use and the RCD was replaced.

Now a couple of months later (and only 20 overnight charges in) I've had two trips in the last two weeks, both times leaving me with insufficient charge to do the commute.

If we didn't have a second car my wife would now be frantically heading to the local rapid hoping it would be working.

Judging by the buzzing that came out of our consumer unit when I reset the charger there's a component on the way out.

If this is the future we can expect with EVs then it's pretty sucky.

So am I just unlucky, or did I make a mistake in going with the flow and assuming Renault had done due diligence when they chose to partner with Chargemaster?
As a first step, I recommend getting an electrician in to check your house electrics.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
Careful, they may condemn the charge point circuit. This is the responsibility of Chargemaster (now BP Pulse) to resolve. As a term of the OLEV grant they have to provide 3 years onsite service as part of the guarantee.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Careful, they may condemn the charge point circuit. This is the responsibility of Chargemaster (now BP Pulse) to resolve.
Thanks guys, I've reported the case to Pulse (recent name change?) who checked and said there's an earth fault on the unit and they'll send someone out to fix/replace it, so that seems an OK response.

Is there a chance that my electrics are causing the charger's components to fail?

I had seen it as a straightforward problem of poor quality components, but then I'm no electrician.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
We have had two Chargemaster units and only issue was comms module failed just before 3 year warranty expired and they swapped whole unit. I think you have been unlucky.

Reactions: Harry_Zoe

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
Is there a chance that my electrics are causing the charger's components to fail
Very unlikely as that is something that they should check before starting the installation. I think that you have just been unlucky.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
o am I just unlucky, or did I make a mistake in going with the flow and assuming Renault had done due diligence when they chose to partner with Chargemaster?
I think you've been unlucky. I've had my Renault freebie for over 5 years now 3 cars and a cable swap to tethered. It's never missed a beat.

I'm sure you have grounds to get ChargeMaster to change it.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you've been unlucky. I've had my Renault freebie for over 5 years now 3 cars and a cable swap to tethered. It's never missed a beat.

I'm sure you have grounds to get ChargeMaster to change it.
Thanks guys for sharing your better experience - makes feel a bit better.

The unit is under warranty, so I'm sure they'll either fix or replace it, no worries there at least. Last time we had a problem it took them a week to come out, and much toing and froing at local posts to get a charge, the nearest of which is 20 mins walk away across a muddy unlit path, so hopefully a quicker response this time given the weather!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
Do you not have a "granny" charger that you can use? I appreciate that it is less than ideal in terms of speed but it sounds a better option than your local post.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you not have a "granny" charger that you can use? I appreciate that it is less than ideal in terms of speed but it sounds a better option than your local post.
Good point. I do have one in the garage, never been opened and totally forgot about it, thanks!

I might also risk charging the car with the EVSE if we need something a bit quicker - the unit seems normal now and worked fine after the first trip a couple of weeks back.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GTLine CCS
167 Posts
The buzzing from the VMCU is normal - someone here on a similar sort of post I made explained what each component in that white box by the fuse board does and the buzzing is normal.

As to unlucky - yes though I've had issues as well. None stopping me charging though. Mine was installed the day before the March lock down and was communicating back regularly, however the comms part failed the day I received my car in June - almost as if a result of plugging the car in. The external unit (which contains the comms module) was replaced within a couple of weeks and while I could still charge it was rarely communicating back, personally I think there was an issue with the comms unit, BP Chargemaster felt it was a signal issue. To get to this stage was a bit of a faff, but as I sid it was not interfering with my charging, just being able to look at logs (or remote time schedule). I was then approached and asked if I was willing to test another unit, which was using a Vodafone simm rather than an O2 one. Did so and to me this all works fine and I see logs straight away, however BP Chargemaster think there may still be a problem as it looks like it only talks back to the servers when I cause it to be initiated. Additionally the buzzing noise is now a lot louder and so I have an engineer due round later this week to investigate.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, two days later and they get in touch by email to tell they're going to replace the EVSE on....Monday Jan 11th!
And there was no asking if that dated suited us, we've simply been informed.

Wow, that's slow! I hope they'd be quicker than that if my charger had actually stopped working (still using it for now).

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
Wow, that's slow! I hope they'd be quicker than that if my charger had actually stopped working (still using it for now).
They're getting a bad reputation all round. It's just not good enough.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
That's very poor. They wouldn't be coming out if they didn't think it was a failure.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's very poor. They wouldn't be coming out if they didn't think it was a failure.
Yeah, the lady I spoke to on the phone ran a check and said there was an earth fault on the unit but not to worry about it, but they would come to replace it.

Because of the two trips that we had recently that meant my wife couldn't drive it to work, we've switched to charging in two phases. Phase one, when the wife gets home we plug it in for a couple of hours just to be sure we have enough for the next day's drive and so we know if it's tripped. Phase two we time it to come on for an hour to warm up the battery on cold mornings and avoid draining the battery during preconditioning. Not ideal, but manageable.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had the charger unit changed last Monday as they promised, quick job just an in and out for the technician. Used it a couple of times now with no problem, but the real test will be when we get back to more regular long distance drives. Hopefully the tripping issue will be resolved though. I'm mildly hopeful because I've noticed that the new unit doesn't seem to cause the consumer unit to buzz, while the old one caused a fair old buzz while charging.

The trips we had were all soon after the charge started, so we've chosen our Go Faster start time as 20:30 so we know it's charging before we turn off the lights! Letting it sit for a few hours at 100% hopefully not as bad as getting up in the morning to find you don't have enough range!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.