Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased this BP Chargemaster 30Amp T2 Untethered charger which has a 30amp to 16amp and vice versa swtching arrangement.

Also the 'Void if Removed' sticker is still in tact so it appears that an aftermarket modification is unlikely?

Has anyone seen these units before as I cant seem to find any details anywhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The thing is though, there is a variation of the internals of these chargers. I've modified mine and the internals looked like nothing else I could find on Google.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Not disagreeing with the experiences above, but it is very strange to mount the switch outside of the unit rather than on the unit itself. Is the button supposed to be mounted on or inside the junction box?

·
Registered
2018 BMW 330E Msport (returned) MG ZS EV currently
15 Posts
This is a standard switch for this model. It sits in the junction box. Some discussion on an old thread about it here

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,723 Posts
Not disagreeing with the experiences above, but it is very strange to mount the switch outside of the unit rather than on the unit itself. Is the button supposed to be mounted on or inside the junction box?
It goes in the junction box.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I guess its intended to be set by the installer and then hidden away, rather than left accessible for the end user to alter the charge rate...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,723 Posts
I guess its intended to be set by the installer and then hidden away, rather than left accessible for the end user to alter the charge rate...
Yep. That's what my installer told me. Weird they didn't just have a switch or jumper inside the chargepoint in that case.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The issue is the chargepoint itself is sealed and shouldnt be opened by the installer. Hence the conduit and external junction box, rather than just making off the connections inside the unit. So makes sense that if they need a switch, it needs to be done that way.

·
Registered
2018 BMW 330E Msport (returned) MG ZS EV currently
15 Posts
The issue is the chargepoint itself is sealed and shouldnt be opened by the installer. Hence the conduit and external junction box, rather than just making off the connections inside the unit. So makes sense that if they need a switch, it needs to be done that way.
interesting.
When I had my unit installed a couple of years ago I paid extra for it to be a 7.4kw unit rather than the standard 3.7kw one. Now it was at a massively reduced rate as it was for a company car so the 'standard' one was free, the 7.4 was an extra £30 or so.
If the difference is just whether an engineer depresses a switch this seems a bit of a ripoff! Unless there are some real differences internally???

edit: unless the 7.4kw one comes with the switch allowing the reduction to 3.7kw if so required??? and the 3.7kw unit doesn't have the switch?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
If yours is an untethered unit I suspect that you have been had. I can't believe that the 3.6kW unit is different as only the installer can downrate the 7.2kW unit - it isn't available for the user to choose.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your comments and it is reassuring that this is an unmodified Chargemaster unit!

Regards
Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts