Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd mostly post a positive review of this charger - it's simple, it works, it looks a bit ugly, it would be nicer if the unit allowed for the cable to be plugged in sideways so it didn't stick out so much from the wall, but mostly it's fine.

The only issue I'd have with it is that on a couple of occasions it appears to have lost it's knowledge of the schedule that is set in the app. It will work fine for days / months on end, and then one night I'll get home, plug in and it will start charging instantly, despite being set with a schedule to only operate 00:30 to 04:30.

Checking the app will show that the schedule remains in place, though it will also show that the car is not connected (even though it is). The charge will show in the app later in terms of the kWh that has been delivered in that unscheduled time so there remains communication between the wallbox and BPs servers.

Customer support is pretty poor; it takes a few days for anyone to look at it, by which time normally it appears to have reset itself.

A bit annoying and costs me some ££ if it happens undetected. Shame the app can't talk direct to the box, it seems that the box talks to a server (periodically) and the app talks to the server, so if the box isn't talking to the server to update it's status and info then the app doesn't provide any live useful knowledge.

·
Registered
Peugeot e208, 2021
4 Posts
Not sure if it's the same thing you're seeing, but we have a Pod-Point that does that occasionally too. Turns out it happens when it loses connection to the WiFi, causing it to go into plug-and-play mode and ignore any schedules. Those charges do eventually show up in the app, so the charger must hold on to the history at least until it's back in touch with the server and can upload them.

Now, as for why it's losing connection to a WiFi access point a few metres away... that's a headache for a different time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Now, as for why it's losing connection to a WiFi access point a few metres away... that's a headache for a different time.
That would make sense and is consistent with BP Chargemaster's rapid chargers which also have numerous Comms problems.

They must just buy their WiFi kit from the cheapest source possible.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suspect the general thing is similar but the BP Chargemaster doesn't use wi-fi, it's a ""3G" data connection from a sim card in the wallbox.

·
Registered
19 Posts
BP Chargemaster works ok if you control your charging from your car.

Had the unit fitted in June last year with no charging problems except its communication with their server. The fitter even said I had a good signal from the sim.

I have had sporadic history update via their server since fitting and none from the beginning of May so not very "smart".

Raised countless number of "tickets" but still not resolved.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I'm sure that's true. Sadly my Peugeot e208 Allure doesn't have an in-car deferred charging setup, and setting up the same via the app that Peugeot provides is flaky and unreliable, so it's far better for me to rely on the scheduling on the BP device itself.

One area I'm exploring is that setting up the schedule via the website rather than the app seems to provide subtly different options. It may be just the the way that the website is presented, but rather than defining the "from" and "to" times in the app, the website does "from" and "for how long". Maybe this writes to the device a bit differently. Anyway, no problems with it in the last 5 days or so, but I've logged a call with their helpdesk anyway and hope to hear from them at some point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After I made posts on BP Pulse Twitter @bppulseuk I have the "beginning" of a possible resolution. Their message.

"No charges uploaded to our central server by the unit to us either since May - I suspect SIM fault. Sorry for the delay, I have asked for a new unit (new generation has stronger signal strength on SIM) for you - our bookings team will be in touch to organise date of appointment for you"

Await contact....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine has been recording things on their servers, but sometimes a bit sporadic. Has been pretty reliable though since I deleted the schedule and set it up on the website rather than the app where the options are subtly different.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
From what I can see and experience at work, you are better off with a “dumb” charger and do the scheduling on the car! All these “smart chargers” don’t seem that smart!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bit harsh. It had worked pretty flawlessly for over six months.

Sadly my car can't set up a schedule in the way I need so I need a smart charger to do the job for me.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
63 Posts
I’ve got a BP Pulse tethered charger since April and I did try the BP app to set charging on my Kia Soul and it didn’t want to know!
I now use the Kia UVO App and I’ve set up the charge % plus charging and leave times in the car and had no problems with charging since.
I check charging from time to time, but normally, I just plug the car in when I get home and leave it to do its job.
The charge times are those of Octopus Go and I’ve never charged outside of those hours.
I wake up and there is a message that charging is complete on my iPhone. 🤗
3,500 miles so far and all charges have been done on the BP home charger. 👍
My only gripe is the colour is brilliant white and I wish they made them in more muted colours to match the bricks. 🤡

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update

A new charging unit was fitted on Monday.

Charging ok if controlled from the car app.

Still waiting for my account to be updated with the new serial number.......😡

BP Pulse are so slow on the admin side.

Oh webpage has not renewed their security certificate !
"This server could not prove that it is homecharge.chargevision.com; its security certificate expired 3 days ago"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another update
Security certificate has been renewed and my account has finally been updated.
As said before BP Pulse are very slow admin wise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts