Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

does anyone know if the BP home charger manages the load ? i ask because i’m unsure about the fuse amp at my house and wether we are on a looped supply - both have been intimated by ENW ….

i’d rather not have to go to the neighbours and ask and the disruption ….

any advice or info gratefully received?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
581 Posts
It won't do it automatically, as it has no way of knowing the house's fuse rating. There might be a way to switch it to 16A (3.6kW) which should be safe in any house if installed properly.
The installer will want to know about the fuse rating and whether it's looped anyway, even if it needs a visit to find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It won't do it automatically, as it has no way of knowing the house's fuse rating. There might be a way to switch it to 16A (3.6kW) which should be safe in any house if installed properly.
The installer will want to know about the fuse rating and whether it's looped anyway, even if it needs a visit to find out.
Thank for that Anahata- it will sort i’m sure and 16A is better than a granny charger!

B

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
896 Posts
does anyone know if the BP home charger manages the load ?
I'm fairly certain the BP Pulse home charge doesn't manage the load - by sensing the total load at the incoming supply with a current transformer. (I assume this is what you mean.) However, the documentation on the BP site is so poor it's hard to tell. But it doesn't state they have a version that can do load sensing. Ours doesn't.

Other charge points, such as Zappi and Hypervolt, can. There are others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm fairly certain the BP Pulse home charge doesn't manage the load - by sensing the total load at the incoming supply with a current transformer. (I assume this is what you mean.) However, the documentation on the BP site is so poor it's hard to tell. But it doesn't state they have a version that can do load sensing. Ours doesn't.

Other charge points, such as Zappi and Hypervolt, can. There are others.
Thanks cDy- agreed with you tried to research but found nothing called BP and the lad i spoke to whilst nice didn’t have a clue, i’m just concerned as when i called our DNO and octopus about an isolator switch the DNO implied there would be issues as they think we are on a looped supply and out fuse is only 48A - i asked for it to be upgraded and they said as a consumer i can’t request that but at installation of the charging point the installer can request that

i think the whole process is set up to be complicated tbh - we are a motability customer so stuck with BP but unlike some of the other horror stories i’ve read on forums and trustpilot up to now they have done exactly as requested in a timely and professional fashion

interested to see what happens

😄👍

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Thanks cDy- agreed with you tried to research but found nothing called BP and the lad i spoke to whilst nice didn’t have a clue, i’m just concerned as when i called our DNO and octopus about an isolator switch the DNO implied there would be issues as they think we are on a looped supply and out fuse is only 48A - i asked for it to be upgraded and they said as a consumer i can’t request that but at installation of the charging point the installer can request that

i think the whole process is set up to be complicated tbh - we are a motability customer so stuck with BP but unlike some of the other horror stories i’ve read on forums and trustpilot up to now they have done exactly as requested in a timely and professional fashion

interested to see what happens

😄👍
I think that as a motability customer you always have the option if self funding an EVSE installation: in which case you are at liberty to choose whatever brand you like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that as a motability customer you always have the option if self funding an EVSE installation: in which case you are at liberty to choose whatever brand you like.
Hi freddym

Motability fund part of it i think and have a deal with BP - i have spoken with them but unless there are significant issues with BP then want us to use them - i could self fund the install and may do in the end but as the AP on the VW is significant i thought the free charger was a bit of a bonus

i’ll see what happens with the install and if it’s problematic i’ll go independent

thanks though

B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts