Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
127 Posts
What do you mean by that? As long as your new place has a suitable supply, and there is a physical place to put it, what's the problem?
It's a council house that didn't have a driveway until I got work done to convert the front garden into a driveway (DIY job). Requested permission from council to have a charger fitted, that took a while for them to respond and OK it. Asked local electrcians if they can fit the charger I brought with me but they won't touch it because regulations changed. It's a mid Terrance house looped supply and I have the main line coming to my fuse box. I thought the DNO didn't charge to have the work done to unloop the supply, instead they want to upgrade the main fuse and charge me for that? I was originally quoted for about £150 to £300 on the phone to them for the work to be done by BP Pulse, now they want £699. I have asked them if they can provide a breakdown of what that includes. That's what I'm up to at this point. I don't think it's worth £700 if I plan on moving out again in the future and mortgage a house of my own.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
468 Posts
It's a council house that didn't have a driveway until I got work done to convert the front garden into a driveway (DIY job). Requested permission from council to have a charger fitted, that took a while for them to respond and OK it. Asked local electrcians if they can fit the charger I brought with me but they won't touch it because regulations changed. It's a mid Terrance house looped supply and I have the main line coming to my fuse box. I thought the DNO didn't charge to have the work done to unloop the supply, instead they want to upgrade the main fuse and charge me for that? I was originally quoted for about £150 to £300 on the phone to them for the work to be done by BP Pulse, now they want £699. I have asked them if they can provide a breakdown of what that includes. That's what I'm up to at this point. I don't think it's worth £700 if I plan on moving out again in the future and mortgage a house of my own.
What about fitting a Commando socket fitted by a leccy and getting an Ohme charger via Octopus. Ohme will rate it at 3.6 kw if need be and that would be better than 3 pin. Moreover, charging is normally done overnight when there isn’t much action with an induction hob or most other gadgets. I have the potential dilemma of 2 EVs and a heat pump on a 100 amp fuse, I’m assured that boiling a kettle for 3 minutes wouldn’t blow the fuse, they are slow burning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I work for the Electric Vehicle Consumer Code for Home Chargepoints (EVCC). We are a non for profit who run other codes and schemes too including the Chartered Trading Standards approved code RECC. EVCC raises standards for installers of home chargepoints and is there to protect consumers. Should you choose an EVCC member then they must comply with our standards which apply to sales, the contract, cancellation rights, after sales and pricing!

Our current members are listed on our website, www.electric-vehicle.org.uk. An EVCC member installer should provide you with certain protections and adhere to our standards. This might be a good place to start when looking for a reputable installer.

Good luck with you chargepoint install.
Lorraine, EVCC

·
Registered
127 Posts
I swear I must have the worst luck in the world 😂

The link is for this:

I'm assuming this is all I need for the house? Then I get the Ohme commando evse myself later on.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
In a domestic situation, you want an interlocked 32A one. Interlocking is a safety feature in case of curious children etc.
Might save some hassle to tell the electrician it's for a big welder, not EV charging....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think I can safely have a 32 amp socket because of me being on looped supply, have fully electric cooker/oven (8~9kW!?), chip fryer, couple microwaves, toaster, kettle, shower, combi boiler, washer and a dryer.

Very unlikely they will all be on at the same time for even an instance, but the possibility is there. And then the load from the house next door connected to my supply.

I'll get an interlock one though for sure.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I don't think I can safely have a 32 amp socket because of me being on looped supply, have fully electric cooker/oven (8~9kW!?), chip fryer, couple microwaves, toaster, kettle, shower, combi boiler, washer and a dryer.

Very unlikely they will all be on at the same time for even an instance, but the possibility is there. And then the load from the house next door connected to my supply.

I'll get an interlock one though for sure.
It will be fine if you get an EVSE (chargepoint) that can measure the total house load and reduce its output as required.
I only intend to charge the car overnight on Octopus Go
In which case the 32A would make the best use of the 4 hour discounted period.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It will be fine if you get an EVSE (chargepoint) that can measure the total house load and reduce its output as required.
Thanks for the advice! I can't find one through Google searching, I think I'm only finding dumb chargers on the likes of ebay, Amazon etc. But I could be wrong?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,394 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I can't find one through Google searching, I think I'm only finding dumb chargers on the likes of ebay, Amazon etc. But I could be wrong?

This one looks like it might foot the bill, you would need the optional CT clamp to monitor the total load on tye system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The wallbox pulsar plus, is a smart charger with load management optional at a reasonable cost. I believe it is actually discounted by about £300 on top of the OLEV grant at the moment. It meets the demands of my DNO SSEN, so I am going with that.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts