Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had no probs using none home chargers. Instavolt, Pod-Point, Ecotricity, all pretty straight forward. BP Pulse however I just can’t get to work via the app, and I’m wondering if I’m just doing something stupid? I’ve tried twice at 2 different locations. I have credit on the app, but don’t pay for the monthly subscription. When asked if I’m a member or guest, I have to put guest to use the credit, but then it asks to scan card, which I don’t have. Surely I don’t need a card with the app, but how can I scan if I don’t have one. Can’t see an option to use the phone in any way. And the one I went to yesterday didn’t even have a location number on it! Am I going insane, or just missing something glaringly obvious?

A separate whinge now. Any BP Pulse app problems you google......you get hundreds of hits about blood pressure/medical issues, so not easy to search for online answers. Nice idea calling it that BP!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I’ve had no probs using none home chargers. Instavolt, Pod-Point, Ecotricity, all pretty straight forward. BP Pulse however I just can’t get to work via the app, and I’m wondering if I’m just doing something stupid? I’ve tried twice at 2 different locations. I have credit on the app, but don’t pay for the monthly subscription. When asked if I’m a member or guest, I have to put guest to use the credit, but then it asks to scan card, which I don’t have. Surely I don’t need a card with the app, but how can I scan if I don’t have one. Can’t see an option to use the phone in any way. And the one I went to yesterday didn’t even have a location number on it! Am I going insane, or just missing something glaringly obvious?

A separate whinge now. Any BP Pulse app problems you google......you get hundreds of hits about blood pressure/medical issues, so not easy to search for online answers. Nice idea calling it that BP!
I've had problems with both the old and the new app. Intuitive and helpful it is not. The only thing I can offer is that you have to initiate the charge on the app, then select "Member" or "RFID card" on the charger. It should then behave as if it's just seen a valid card and start the charge. I had to ring their helpline for someone to tell me this, the fact that it's not written down anywhere is just ridiculous. Anyone would think the system was being run by someone who was deeply invested in burning oil and didn't want things to change...🤔

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had problems with both the old and the new app. Intuitive and helpful it is not. The only thing I can offer is that you have to initiate the charge on the app, then select "Member" or "RFID card" on the charger. It should then behave as if it's just seen a valid card and start the charge. I had to ring their helpline for someone to tell me this, the fact that it's not written down anywhere is just ridiculous. Anyone would think the system was being run by someone who was deeply invested in burning oil and didn't want things to change...🤔
Thanks, I’ll try that on the first one I tried (Warmsworth) However on the one I went to yesterday (Bessacarr) there wasn’t a BP Pulse id number on the machine.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks, I’ll try that on the first one I tried (Warmsworth) However on the one I went to yesterday (Bessacarr) there wasn’t a BP Pulse id number on the machine.
The app should show points near you on the map and allow you to select them...however, anything is possible, it's really not a great system in my experience! Bets of luck...

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG you’re right. Doh! When you open the app you just get 5 zeros and it asks you for the code. Via the map on the app when you click on it gives you the code. Thanks for that. Amazing though that they don’t put the code on the charger (like Pod-Point do by using 2 names as id)
I’m just glad that I didn’t ‘need’ to charge as I’d have been stuffed. Whilst I’m dissing them, their charger at the Green Tree pub near Hatfield Woodhouse is in a car park, but as the pub is closed for Covid, there are bollards preventing you from reaching it. Why fit chargers where you can’t access 24/7?What if you limp to one and find you can’t actually get to the thing? Why oh why oh why?

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
268 Posts
The app has an annoying habit of not showing all chargers. They know about the issue, the app developer has “tried” to fix it once.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Also be aware many private carparks now have ANPR cameras. Some of these require payment for parking (phone up or text and pay eg £1, or you receive a £100 penalty invoice). Some may have curfew hours on entry. Look at the zap map chat to the charger on A1 northbound just north of the A47. If you go there after a certain time (9pm?) you get a penalty invoice.

So not just having to deal with the vagaries of Rapid Charging, assuming the unit works, there's the gauntlet of site specific access restrictions.

I will repeat again my advice when driving onto private land. Blip the dashcam on entry + leaving so you have an emergency file showing these events. Also, take a photo of the poster showing the parking restrictions. If you need to challenge an invoice later on, you'd have some evidence. The posters could have an error, or you could have been captured leaving the same site a day later, which would lead to the system calculating that you overstayed the short time limit.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,392 Posts
Whilst I’m dissing them, their charger at the Green Tree pub near Hatfield Woodhouse is in a car park, but as the pub is closed for Covid, there are bollards preventing you from reaching it. Why fit chargers where you can’t access 24/7?What if you limp to one and find you can’t actually get to the thing? Why oh why oh why?
The charger would've been installed before covid, when a charger in a pub car park was an apparent benefit to the pub (They might sell more meals).
Blame the plague closing pubs for limiting access to chargers, not the installers or site owners.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Having to select 'Member' is rather unintuitive. Why require any physical input if the charging process needs to be initiated via the app!?

Anyway, one of the screens in the app does advise this:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Having to select 'Member' is rather unintuitive. Why require any physical input if the charging process needs to be initiated via the app!?

Anyway, one of the screens in the app does advise this:
View attachment 140040
That's new...at least they've listened to all the feedback about how unintuitive it is.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The charger would've been installed before covid, when a charger in a pub car park was an apparent benefit to the pub (They might sell more meals).
Blame the plague closing pubs for limiting access to chargers, not the installers or site owners.
I just have a strong dislike for any restriction on being able to charge. Such as pubs, or Holiday inns where you have to register your car at the desk. It all adds to the faffing about problem we all have to endure. Also, main gripe is that these chargers are all ‘available’ on search apps. Now, I’ve never ‘had’ to use a rapid charger, just trying them out in case I do need one, BUT I feel for the people who depend on them, and get there with a handful of miles range and end up either very stressed, or calling for recovery. I get your point about COVID, and we all need to take these extreme conditions into account, but if a charger ain’t available, it shouldn’t show as open for business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts