Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just attempted to use the Pulse Point at Doncaster Holiday Inn. I put the terminal number in the app, which then stated I should use the Member option on the charger.....there’s either guest or membership card options. Went for membership card, then the charger asks to present card.....if I hold phone against machine it tries to charge via apple pay (as guest I’d imagine). So, it seems to me that it’s impossible to use the credit I’ve loaded onto the BP app? If I’m missing something, then it’s hardly straightforward and foolproof.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,790 Posts
Don't tap anything on the charger. Just follow the app, press membership and continue in the app. The charger will act as if a virtual card has been tapped and then let you start a charge session.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't tap anything on the charger. Just follow the app, press membership and continue in the app. The charger will act as if a virtual card has been tapped and then let you start a charge session.
I tried waiting and there was just a connecting circle. Waited a couple of minutes but no joy. I’ve had a successful charge at a different Holiday Inn, but even that took a few tries. When I’ve used the credit, the BP app will be deleted, and I’ll use Instavolt/Pod-Point. There’s no excuse for such a poor set up, which involves just happening to do a number of actions in precisely the right order, and then hoping it connects?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,790 Posts
There’s no excuse for such a poor set up
If you think this is a poor setup, you obviously never had the misfortune of using the two earlier versions of Polar's Instant apps! Back then they were far worse than it is today, and the chargers didn't even have contactless support so there wasn't an alternative aside from signing up for Polar Plus.

From memory the new app has a fairly high minimum wallet balance to start a charge so you may struggle to use up all the credit I'm afraid. Unfortunately it's likely that you're going to lose some money to them since I don't think anyone has successfully got a refund out of them before.

(I'm not trying to defend them. BP Pulse/Chargemaster/Polar is a shockingly bad company in my opinion. I Actively avoid using their chargers these days despite having free access to them. As you say there is no excuse for their poor efforts)

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Could be worse, it could be called Flow.

I was emailed a survey before they changed the name to test their thoughts of the Flow branding, all kinds of ads I had to rate with things on like "Have you got Flow", "Feel the flow" and "Get flow".

I wrote a long feedback about sanitary towels and such - I really was never going to feel the flow, and would have cancelled my account had they changed.

Reactions: AdamLC
1 - 5 of 5 Posts