Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I've just moved to a new house in a fairly rural location, I'm looking to get a BP Pulse home charger installed (included as part of my Zoe lease). However the reception for O2 and Vodafone is very poor here - I've read that these are what The BP Pulse units use to connect their smart services. Can anyone advise if this would be an issue?

My other option is to go for an untethered BP Pulse wallbox + an Ohme type 2 cable to use it's smart capabilities (I already have an Ohme granny charger working well here). I'd like to leave the cable attached to the wallbox for convenience so I guess I would need to lock it somehow. Is this a sensible option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Freddy,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm hesitant to go that route as I'd rather not pay for the hardware + installation (on top of the Ohme cable) when both would already covered by my car lease. Do you not think the other options are viable?

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Hi Freddy,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm hesitant to go that route as I'd rather not pay for the hardware + installation (on top of the Ohme cable) when both would already covered by my car lease. Do you not think the other options are viable?
Might be worth a read of the posts describing satisfaction with BP Pulse.
Free or Reliable. That might be the main factors in the decision.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair point. I'm still inclined to take the chance with it, even if only using the "dumb" parts of the charger. If worst came to worst I guess getting an electrician to remove the wallbox and replace with a commando socket would be a fairly quick & easy job (please do correct me if I'm wrong here)

I'd love to hear if my other options of a tethered or untethered unit + Ohme cable would make more sense in this scenario?

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Fair point. I'm still inclined to take the chance with it, even if only using the "dumb" parts of the charger. If worst came to worst I guess getting an electrician to remove the wallbox and replace with a commando socket would be a fairly quick & easy job (please do correct me if I'm wrong here)

I'd love to hear if my other options of a tethered or untethered unit + Ohme cable would make more sense in this scenario?
It sounds like you are going into it with your eyes open. And if you have a chat with a sparky re worse case scenario of swooping out for a CEE socket looks like you are covered. Good luck😁

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there,

I've just moved to a new house in a fairly rural location, I'm looking to get a BP Pulse home charger installed (included as part of my Zoe lease). However the reception for O2 and Vodafone is very poor here - I've read that these are what The BP Pulse units use to connect their smart services. Can anyone advise if this would be an issue?

My other option is to go for an untethered BP Pulse wallbox + an Ohme type 2 cable to use it's smart capabilities (I already have an Ohme granny charger working well here). I'd like to leave the cable attached to the wallbox for convenience so I guess I would need to lock it somehow. Is this a sensible option?

Thanks!
Screw the ohme box to the wall for security it's the same as the fixed unit use some security screws they are a devil to remove without the right tool

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks!
Hi Jim, Two quick questions: Did you get the Homecharger installed ? Does it connect sucessfully ? Do you know which network Its on which network is it on ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Jim, Two quick questions: Did you get the Homecharger installed ? Does it connect sucessfully ? Do you know which network Its on which network is it on ?
Hi Rixy, I did get the homecharger installed, after many painful months of chasing BP (I would DEFINITELY recommend choosing a different supplier if you can) and all has been working well since. I've never really used the smart services though as I've been able to set the charge timings etc through my cars app.

Yes it did connect eventually, though it took a while to come online. They put in a mesh module to allow it to piggyback off any other nearby connections - I'm not 100% sure if that is what made the difference, but seems to be reporting data well. I believe these smart units all use the O2 network which is pretty flaky round here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Rixy, I did get the homecharger installed, after many painful months of chasing BP (I would DEFINITELY recommend choosing a different supplier if you can) and all has been working well since. I've never really used the smart services though as I've been able to set the charge timings etc through my cars app.

Yes it did connect eventually, though it took a while to come online. They put in a mesh module to allow it to piggyback off any other nearby connections - I'm not 100% sure if that is what made the difference, but seems to be reporting data well. I believe these smart units all use the O2 network which is pretty flaky round here.
Hi, I'd be really interested in what the 'Mesh Module' is ? Can you post a photo? Just as you find you have spent many painful months chasing BP to get it to work , I have spent many more painful months trying to communicate to PB Pulse the benefits of our Anynet SIM - which would allow communication on any mobile network available ! They don't have phones - they don't reply to emails. If any BP Pulse folks are monitoring this forum I'd be delighted to hear from them !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Office equipment Gadget Office supplies Gas Font

This is the mesh module. I'm not sure of the full technical details but I think it searches for other units in the vicinity (a few hundred meters?) and can connect to the cellular network via them if they have better signal. I'm not sure if ours is connecting using the mesh or gets enough cellular signal once in a while to send off the usage data, but seems to be working ok.

I did ask about the network they use (we've got really strong EE signal here) but I don't think there's any way to change this, apparently it's fixed for all these units.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 153538

It looks like the Toshiba unit uses Zigbee to communicate with other devices locally ; The HAN is a Home area Network ( for in home displays etc ) and the WAN is Wide area Network ; Gas is probably the gas meter! An Eseye Anynet SIM would work with O2 or EE as its multi network. I have to declare an interest in Eseye at this point ! Thanks for Posting Dave
This is the mesh module. I'm not sure of the full technical details but I think it searches for other units in the vicinity (a few hundred meters?) and can connect to the cellular network via them if they have better signal. I'm not sure if ours is connecting using the mesh or gets enough cellular signal once in a while to send off the usage data, but seems to be working ok.

I did ask about the network they use (we've got really strong EE signal here) but I don't think there's any way to change this, apparently it's fixed for all these units.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts