Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie EV driver and first time at a BP Pulse (Holiday Inn, Birmingham). I'd downloaded the app and added £20 credit before setting off, as I didn't want to subscribe.

Got to the chargepoint and plugged in CCS, then used the app to start the charge. The app let me choose the chargepoint, and then seemed to stall at a message that said something like 'starting chargepoint, this may take a minute', but the chargepoint display itself went through all of the checks and started charging just fine.

When I was ready to go (61 minutes and 25kW later) I wanted to stop the charge, but there's no way to do it!

Pressing the 'Stop' button on the chargepoint screen asked me to present a payment card or RFID. The card I used to add the credit did not work. And there was nothing to press on the app screen to stop charging. Restarted the app, and it showed me that the chargepoint is in use, but offered no option to let me stop the session.

I then called Customer Services and was on hold for over 15 minutes ... Grrrr! ... Before doing the dishonourable thing and pressing the Emergency Stop button. Hope I didn't take it offline pending an engineer visit. :unsure:

What else could/should I have done?

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
157 Posts
I’ve had this before, and unfortunately this will happen very occasionally. All you can do is wait on hold with customer support and they can try and terminate the charge remotely.

Pressing emergency stop isn’t the biggest crime in the world, but probably give customer support a try first. You did, they took too long to answer, so screw it you’ve got stuff to do so press the stop.

To be as thoughtful as possible, you should wait a minute and then twist the emergency stop to cancel it. That should reboot it and bring it back online for the next customer.
I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to tell me off for this advice, but y’know 😅

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,684 Posts
To be as thoughtful as possible, you should wait a minute and then twist the emergency stop to cancel it. That should reboot it and bring it back online for the next customer.
This is a must, if you have to press the red button on a Polar Ultracharger. They tend to freeze up and go unresponsive until an engineer comes out to reset it if it sits on the emergency stop screen for too long.

If you twist it back and follow the on-screen prompts to reset within a few minutes it is generally fine again though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Struth. Thanks for the info guys. I just applied for a BP card. Though you'd think we wouldn't need to have instructions on how to maintain BP's chargers on a forum like this.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
52 Posts
I thought that for the majority of CCS cars that you could press the unlock button on the key fob while the car is already unlocked forcing the charge to end and free the cable?

·
Registered
105 Posts
This (having no way to stop a charge after started in the app) has happened to me a couple of times, apparently it's a known issue pending a fix on their app. (So might be fixed in a couple of years, with their track record)

I continue to be staggered at how appalling every element of the experience is when using BP Pulse. The fact they have a known fault like this that can & does cause serious inconvenience to customers and they don't publicise it is unbelievable.

It's happened to me on the 175kW chargers that don't have e-stops so you're literally trapped there until you get through to customer services after 20-30 mins.

I for one won't be subject to their service again and will be avoiding them.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
apparently it's a known issue pending a fix on their app. (So might be fixed in a couple of years, with their track record)
In a couple of years they will have changed their name another 3 times and released just as many 'new and improved' apps - Yet will still offer just as bad of a service!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
I thought that for the majority of CCS cars that you could press the unlock button on the key fob while the car is already unlocked forcing the charge to end and free the cable?
I have done this now a few times when charging using the type 2, must admit I've not tried it when using the CCS yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done this now a few times when charging using the type 2, must admit I've not tried it when using the CCS yet.
I will give that a go if/when it happens again.

On the emergency stop thing. I must admit that I did not wait around to see what the screen said after stopping the charge. I'll make sure to do that so as not to mess things up for other users.

The PAYG fee is 25p as opposed to the contactless 30p, so next time I might just start the thing by card. I presume the chargepoint didn't recognise my payment card because I didn't start the charge by the card reader.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This (having no way to stop a charge after started in the app) has happened to me a couple of times, apparently it's a known issue pending a fix on their app. (So might be fixed in a couple of years, with their track record)

I continue to be staggered at how appalling every element of the experience is when using BP Pulse. The fact they have a known fault like this that can & does cause serious inconvenience to customers and they don't publicise it is unbelievable.

It's happened to me on the 175kW chargers that don't have e-stops so you're literally trapped there until you get through to customer services after 20-30 mins.

I for one won't be subject to their service again and will be avoiding them.
Happened to me twice as well - different chargers, and ones without emergency stop buttons so stuck whilst they get to your call, reset the charger, etc. Hateful experience.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,656 Posts
I've found a stop charge option elsewhere on the BP Pulse app display, I think it was further down or some weird place ---- it panicked me the first time as I start to think towards what you had done in the end.

but if you start with the app you need normally to end it via app .

I think the double-click-unlock on key fob only works for some cars on plain type2 not CCS ..... but worth a try.

Maybe some one can attach a screen shot of where they see it --- but it's one of those things that's only there during charging rather than something I can chuck on now.
You could lose an hour on you tube looking to see if there's a video of someone using the app to charge.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,184 Posts
From BP's FAQ "How do I start a charge via the app"
When you’ve finished charging, click ‘Stop Charge’ in the app. It might take a couple of seconds for your cable to release.
Please don’t press the red emergency stop button unless there is a real emergency – this will disable the unit until an engineer is able to come to the charge point.
The Google play store also has this image:-

·
Registered
119 Posts
I recently had 10 failed charging attempts on a public 50kw BP Chargemaster/pulse. Each attempt needed me to present a contactless bank card. On each attempt the start-up sequence failed to complete. On the 11th attempt I held the charging handle/connector firmly in place and it worked. Great I thought but later that week I found that £15 had been deducted for each of the failed charging attempts (£150 total). I immediately emailed BP customer services with the transaction reference numbers provided by my bank. Now two weeks later I have had £45 refunded but the £105 charged to my second bank card is still outstanding.

Any advice for me on

a) How to avoid these spurious bank charges in future?
b) How to get my remaining £105 refunded by BP?

Thanks

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,753 Posts
Any advice for me on

a) How to avoid these spurious bank charges in future?
b) How to get my remaining £105 refunded by BP?
These are not actual charges on your account. They just 'earmark' funds to ensure that they get paid the real amount when it's known at the end of a charge session. This holding funds system is then automatically released after a few days if no transaction takes place. Some card suppliers take longer than others though. Of course, an accumulation of these withholding funds in your circumstances can build up to a considerable sum and cause an account to be low on funds and then refuse a separate legitimate purchase elsewhere. That is an annoying unintended consequence of this system. But usually, if a credit card is used the limit is high enough to avoid such problems. Using a debit card where much lower funds are kept can very soon mop up all the available credit and in some cases has led to an unauthorised overdraft with high fees. And then caused a lot of admin to claim those fees back from the charge company. It's all a bit of a mess tbh.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've found a stop charge option elsewhere on the BP Pulse app display, I think it was further down or some weird place ---- it panicked me the first time as I start to think towards what you had done in the end.

but if you start with the app you need normally to end it via app .

I think the double-click-unlock on key fob only works for some cars on plain type2 not CCS ..... but worth a try.

Maybe some one can attach a screen shot of where they see it --- but it's one of those things that's only there during charging rather than something I can chuck on now.
You could lose an hour on you tube looking to see if there's a video of someone using the app to charge.
I am sure that you are right. In this case, something odd happened with the comms at the start, such that the app did not change state to reflect that charging had actually started. So it sat there and timed-out and then decided there was no reason to present a screen with the 'Stop charge' option. (Meanwhile the chargepoint was happily providing the juice.)

When I restarted the app, I presume that the system didn't check and see that it was my PAYG account that was charging, so it didn't allow my app to re-establish control of the charging process. Which is some rather daft software design...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the same issue using a GeniePoint charger.

Needed a quick 30min rapid charge. Started the charge using the app, but the phone had reloaded the app, so I could not stop the charge. The app was recognising that someone was using the charge point but I could not select it nor did it recognise it was my account.

I tried to stop the charge using the app, website and the charge station before hitting the E-Stop. Disconnect the car, all was ok and I reset the e stop, charge station was showing available to use.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
Last year I was at an unfamiliar rapid needing a charge, the connector was on the ground and the charger was showing red but available according to zap-map. I guessed someone had pushed the emergency cut off button so just turned and released the button. The charger went from red to green so I was able to charge, I wish more people would return the ‘pump’ back into its holder, it only takes seconds???

·
Registered
193 Posts
I successfully ended a charging session this way the first (and, so far, only) time I used a public charger. It was Ecotricity. The app lost its connection to the charger (which removed the option to stop the session via the app) and the stop button on the charger itself didn't do anything. I unlocked the car which released the cable and off I went.

·
Registered
508 Posts
There seems to be a common issue running through these episodes. The app! Losing connection/Reloading/not loading/no end charge facility via the app etc etc
So why do all the companies keep on persisting with these damn apps?!
Should be Contactless. And only Contactless. Like a normal petrol pump is as they at present don’t have kiosks or reception desks like those do.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
And only Contactless
Definitely not!
Contactless may be many people's preferred payment methid, but being contactless alone could cause issues.

The more payment choices we have the better. Contactless should be standard, but that doesn't mean the apps, RFID Cards, websites or phone numbers should be axed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts