Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Bragan have some roof bars for the Kia Niro. They fit the plug-in hybrid but not the e-Niro and fit the 105hp hybrid but not the 145hp. Is anyone aware what the difference is? They all look so similar and look like there is only one body style so I struggle to get my head around where the incompatibility may be? Do they make like a fat version of the car and a slim one or do they have different roof rails on different engine specs or something? Anyone know?

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
I would imagine the cars are structurally identical but the eNiro hasn't been type approved for them to be used. I have a Leaf that can only carry 35kg legally on the roof though it is obviously strong enough to cope with a rollover crash.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would imagine the cars are structurally identical but the eNiro hasn't been type approved for them to be used. I have a Leaf that can only carry 35kg legally on the roof though it is obviously strong enough to cope with a rollover crash.
Interesting point, so you are saying that they might fit but have not been approved. I am pretty sure that Kia's own roof rails have been approved for all the Niro versions but that does not mean that all other bars have of course.

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
Possibly this is the case. The EV database says you can carry 100kg on e Niro roof

Kia e-Niro 64 kWh

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Kia sell roof bars for the e-Niro so you're good to use them. It's not like the MG 😂
Also a roof box with a 75kg limit, so definitely good for that. Likely the 100kg as @jonnobris says.
Car Parts, Tyres & Accessories for the Kia Range | Kia Motors UK
I was cheap and bought Cruz bars. Fit fine and solid.
A bit of chore as they only screw on however I only use them a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Kia sell roof bars for the e-Niro so you're good to use them. It's not like the MG 😂
Also a roof box with a 75kg limit, so definitely good for that. Likely the 100kg as @jonnobris says.
Car Parts, Tyres & Accessories for the Kia Range | Kia Motors UK
I was cheap and bought Cruz bars. Fit fine and solid.
A bit of chore as they only screw on however I only use them a couple of times a year.
Cruz bars are supposedly compatible but according to their website none of their roof bike carriers are compatible? I'm thinking of getting 2x bike roof carriers, which presumably requires a set of bars also. Never done this kind of thing and don't want to go adding a towbar for rear carriers due to the car being leased.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
142 Posts
www.roofbox.co.uk is a good place to look.
They will show you which of the big brands will fit, and give you the right part numbers.

And then I searched ebay and bought some atera signo aero bars second-hand. They are very easy to fit, and very quiet.
And a pair of atera giro bike carriers, which are also very good.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Cruz bars are supposedly compatible but according to their website none of their roof bike carriers are compatible? I'm thinking of getting 2x bike roof carriers, which presumably requires a set of bars also. Never done this kind of thing and don't want to go adding a towbar for rear carriers due to the car being leased.
Sorry I'll plead ignorance on bike carriers. I've just a boring roof box :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
www.roofbox.co.uk is a good place to look.
They will show you which of the big brands will fit, and give you the right part numbers.

And then I searched ebay and bought some atera signo aero bars second-hand. They are very easy to fit, and very quiet.
And a pair of atera giro bike carriers, which are also very good.
Thanks, will have a look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts