Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Leaf 24 '64 reg the reservoir cap says "use only DOT 3". But my Skoda and my Dad's Volvo both use DOT 4. From specification, it looks like 3 and 4 can be mixed, DOT 4 just have a higher boiling point, which should be a good thing. If I can use DOT 4 on Leaf, I can simply buy a 5 litre bottle.

Can I use DOT 4 fluid in gen 1.5 Leaf?

How much brake do I need to buy? Is 1 litre bottle enough?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
On my Leaf 24 '64 reg the reservoir cap says "use only DOT 3". But my Skoda and my Dad's Volvo both use DOT 4. From specification, it looks like 3 and 4 can be mixed, DOT 4 just have a higher boiling point, which should be a good thing. If I can use DOT 4 on Leaf, I can simply buy a 5 litre bottle.

Thanks in advance.
You probably don't want to buy a large quantity: the opened bottle will absorb mositure.

Probably a 1 litre bottle and two 500mls. Just open what you need.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s two other cars my Dad and I are planning to do brake fluid change. They are both DOT 4. Hence thinking to buy DOT 4 5 litre bottle and changing it all in one go.

So question is, can I use DOT 4 on Leaf?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wondering if anyone have DIY'd their Leaf brake fluid change with DOT 4 they had from other cars.

I wouldn't call a 1.6l 100bph 2006 Volvo S40 high performance ;)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Wondering if anyone have DIY'd their Leaf brake fluid change with DOT 4 they had from other cars.

I wouldn't call a 1.6l 100bph 2006 Volvo S40 high performance ;)
If you are changing the fluid, have you figured out how to flush through the ABS and Pump (presumably using a scan tool of some description). In my experience, this is the part of the system where the wear debris accuulates.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s not that complicated. (Scan tool?)

This is the workshop manual on this:

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thanks in advance.
DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3 especially in a total fluid change. DOT 3 is not recommended for a brake system spec’ed for DOT 4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts