Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m curious to know under which circumstances the Zoe switches on the brake lights, when not using the brake pedal:

1. Reducing cruise-control speed using the steering wheel controls?
2. Lifting foot off the accelerator (considering regen kicks in)?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
Is this the ZE50, or the 40 and earlier you are enquiring about? They behave differently.

I know the ZE50 Puts lights on during B mode regen for example, but the earlier cars don't since much of the regenerative braking on those models is controlled by the brake pedal anyways.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surely if the regen is happening on the Ze40 using the brake (when lifting off the accelerator), then the lights are being activated?

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Surely if the regen is happening on the Ze40 using the brake (when lifting off the accelerator), then the lights are being activated?
ZE40 - Yes, you can see this at night as brake lights have slight reflection in plastic surround. I also saw brake lights on going down our steep village hill with cruise set to 30 and not touching brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Regen doesn't activate the brakes, the retardation is caused by generating electricity in the motor.
There are rules for the brake lights when controlled by the car and @electricdriver nicely summarized this here

Re The regen / brake lights question - this comes up a lot. It's clearly defined in the relevant EU legislation...reg 13H...here's the relevant section. The signal referred to is the brake lights illuminating.

5.2.22.4. Electric regenerative braking systems as defined in paragraph 2.17 of this Regulation, which produce a retarding force upon release of the accelerator control, shall generate the signal mentioned above according to the following provisions:

Vehicle decelerationsSignal generation
≤ 0,7 m/s2The signal shall not be generated
> 0,7 m/s2 and ≤ 1,3 m/s2The signal may be generated
> 1,3 m/s2The signal shall be generated
In all cases the signal shall be de-activated at the latest when the deceleration has fallen below 0,7 m/s2.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Thanks everyone. Makes sense that it would depend on the speed of deceleration. Thanks EU!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am glad I read the above, I've noticed the same few nights ago however, I wasn't sure if I am hallucinating or not.
Nice to know that I am still sane 👍😁

Thanks @Spiny for the info, I can sleep well tonight 😂

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 64kWh Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
42 Posts
Whilst it's great that the brake lights come on when you're slowing down (!!!) it's annoying that they come on when you're showing down so little - if my maths is right 1.0m/s^2 is the same as showing from 30mph to 20mph in 5 seconds, something most ICE cars do simply by lifting of the gas without using the brakes at all. The end result is that EVs appear to be braking much more often that traditional ICE vehicles, frustrating the drivers behind them who overreact and hit their own brakes, or worse still, start to think "it's an EV, it's not really braking... crunch"

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I like to think that people who drive cars know how to follow another vehicle without undue panic.

A lot of folk use ACC round town these days anyway, and with the addition of AEB, the risk is tiny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts