Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really, really bugs me.

As I've rambled on about enough in other places, I got into electric cars after driving the MINI E many moons ago. Loved it, thought it was the future, and now I "drive the future, today", or some such nonsense.

Anyway, the MINI E had very strong brake regeneration, I liked it then, and I like it now. I used to drive highly tuned classic Minis and, much to the my mechanic's (and my budget's) displeasure, would brake through the gears quite a lot, and in Milton Keynes, if you drive enthusiastically, you go up and down a LOT.

Anyway, brake regeneration is great, it tops up the battery and, in my opinion, improves the drive and reduces the need to put your foot on the brake.

So why, WHY, why, did Nissan not make this "mode" default? Is there some logic I've missed here? Because so far as I can see, it's only got plus points, and should be the norm.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
you mean it doesn't have one? what's the impact of having RB? how many extra miles of charge do you get?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have it, but it isn't on by default, it probably adds a few miles per journey, I'm guessing and not seem many facts out there. It also, for me, is part of the "EV experience", reminds me a little of the engine braking I used to do a lot in my old classic Minis... Brakes, where we're going, we don't need brakes! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree, I like the regenerative braking in ECO mode but you have to select it from Drive rather than it being a default. I tend to drive in ECO mode and kickdown when I want the normal drive mode torque. Given that it's all software and firmware controlled it wouldn't surprise me if at some point point in not too distant future we can re-map the settings like you can for ICE ECUs.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
...one day people won't ask you whether your runs petrol or diesel, they will ask what software version!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes there should be an option to select so that B-Mode is on all the time. Also how about that click OK button every time you start the car, really annoying after while (I tend to do many short journeys during the day).

Also noticed that the car phone book doesn't recognise numbers/callers if you store them with a country code as calls are forwarded from network to phone without the country code.

And in general Carwings is really disappointing compared to Tesla which I think has set the benchmark almost too high for other normal car manufactures to follow. At the moment I have to wait 4-5 days to see my driving stats to appear in the You+Nissan online portal ... really! There should be no more than few minutes delay; that's how all the apps on my phone work atm.

I'm very happy with the bluetooth working with my phone and I can listen to Spotify while on the move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts