Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I noticed this yesterday and I'm not sure if it's new or if it's normal and I've only just noticed it, but whenever I brake our the regen kicks in the is a clicking noise. Which gets louder/faster as the car gets closer to stopping.

Is this something I should be worried about our is this normal?

Thanks
Grant

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
887 Posts
it's possible but rare to get small stones stuck between the pads/disks which can cause problems, so I would try a visual inspection to see if that might possibly be the problem. otherwise I'm with @Allandrick and would take it in to be safe.
however, someone reported an odd noise with their Kona drivetrain, I am wondering if the two might have a related fault.
Kona Electric Drive Train - Funny Noise

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi guys

I noticed this yesterday and I'm not sure if it's new or if it's normal and I've only just noticed it, but whenever I brake our the regen kicks in the is a clicking noise. Which gets louder/faster as the car gets closer to stopping.

Is this something I should be worried about our is this normal?

Thanks
Grant

Yeah. I've experienced this with my Kona. I'm monitoring it at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

I got a call from the dealer yesterday who asked how I was getting on with the car and said he waould speak to service today to see if they could suggest anything, although looking at the other thread @Paul M mentioned i guess ill probably get the brush off.

I had noticed it is intermittent and is unlikely to be a stone stuck n the brake pads as it gets faster under heavier braking/regen, it could be the battery temp thing?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as i can tell, driving mode, temperature etc have had no effect on it. it is highly intermittent but,
it only happens in Drive do neutral and reverse unaffected
Only under braking or using regen to come to a stop so far

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ve noticed a bit of noise that sounds like dusty brakes over the last day or two - kicks in with braking or regen. Did you get your noise sorted?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never heard back from the garage & since people were saying in the linked post in the jobs forum that they couldn't find anything I haven't yet contacted service.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I've noticed a very slight noise, a little like an artificial ice engine sound, a bit like a fast clock. I didn't notice it when I first had the car and it changes with the accelerator or brake pedal position. I can't always hear it, and can only hear it when it's quiet in the car.
Is your clicking anything like that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed a very slight noise, a little like an artificial ice engine sound, a bit like a fast clock. I didn't notice it when I first had the car and it changes with the accelerator or brake pedal position. I can't always hear it, and can only hear it when it's quiet in the car.
Is your clicking anything like that?
Is this the Virtual Engine Sound Sytem (VESS) that can be switched off?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a short of clicking/ticking/grinding noise from the drive train during braking/regen definitely not VESS

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wasn’t able to record it :-(. But it sounds like brakes after they’ve been sitting for a few weeks, but only when the regen or braking is actually active. Will take it in next week.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have similar for few weeks but only noticed on brakes not regen
Wasn’t able to record it :-(. But it sounds like brakes after they’ve been sitting for a few weeks, but only when the regen or braking is actually active. Will take it in next week.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Took it in to the dealership to get their master tech to look at it today. Brakes all fine, pads fine, liners, wheels, etc all checked.

Tech came out saying he thought he’d fixed it and as he drove past to test I could hear it clearly as he drove off :-(

Back in the workshop again now. /yawn

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I'm getting a fast click some times when accelerating, nothing when braking.
As kids we used to jam a piece of folded newspaper/card somewhere so it used to just touch the spokes and make an engine sound, or so it sounded to us. That's what the noise reminds me of, and it seems to be a little louder now and a little more often. I'm going to be taking it in to ask about it as it sounds to me like something is catching somewhere.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts