Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
It's taking several miles before it is noticable. The lowest I've read is 800 miles but most are taking a lot longer, I noticed it after about 2000 miles.
You'd expect that Kia have made the update on the new cars.
Doug and I have compared the replaced motor on my car with his new one and can't see any difference. I was told they have thickened the face where the motor and gearbox join and the bolts are longer than the original ones.
I haven't looked at any original motors to compare with the new motor on my car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know if this problem with the e- Niro is occurring with ones bought in the early deliveries or are there people experiencing the problem with recently delivered cars?
They collected and compared VIN #'s over on the French forum for a while and didn't come to any real conclusion. Some early models without the problem and some with close nearby VIN # with the problem. Also some recent deliveries still with the problem. There are just too many variables involved. Could depend on driving habits, manufacturing and material variances, environmental factors such as terrain and temperature, etc. My knocking noise started about 1000 miles and has been getting more frequent and louder. In addition I now also have a cat-like purring noise (or like a bad muffler) when gently applying accelerator between 30-40 mph. This new noise is more random, sometimes appearing and then disappearing a few miles later. Definitely was not present when car was new. Hopefully it's related to the ticking noise and both can be fixed together.

Currently have the car at another dealer who confirmed hearing the noise and has forwarded the issue to KIA HQ. They have sold so few of them in USA, I'm likely the first person to report it here and nobody knows what to do. I purchased the car the very first week they landed in the country because I was offered a very good price. In hindsight, I should have waited and done more research but I still don't recall any major reviews that reported this problem. Only one brief mention in a Tesla Bjorn eNiro Taxi driver interview. Maybe not enough miles on the review loaners to manifest the problem?

I think your level of satisfaction with this car will also depend on your previous experience. If you're coming from a noisy ICE car, you may find this noise acceptable. I also drive a Chevrolet Bolt EV (Opel Ampera-E in Europe) and occasionally a Tesla Model 3 and e-Golf. Both have silent drivetrains in comparison so I had similar expectations from the Niro.

·
Registered
275 Posts
They collected and compared VIN #'s over on the French forum for a while and didn't come to any real conclusion. Some early models without the problem and some with close nearby VIN # with the problem. Also some recent deliveries still with the problem. There are just too many variables involved. Could depend on driving habits, manufacturing and material variances, environmental factors such as terrain and temperature, etc. My knocking noise started about 1000 miles and has been getting more frequent and louder. In addition I now also have a cat-like purring noise (or like a bad muffler) when gently applying accelerator between 30-40 mph. This new noise is more random, sometimes appearing and then disappearing a few miles later. Definitely was not present when car was new. Hopefully it's related to the ticking noise and both can be fixed together.

Currently have the car at another dealer who confirmed hearing the noise and has forwarded the issue to KIA HQ. They have sold so few of them in USA, I'm likely the first person to report it here and nobody knows what to do. I purchased the car the very first week they landed in the country because I was offered a very good price. In hindsight, I should have waited and done more research but I still don't recall any major reviews that reported this problem. Only one brief mention in a Tesla Bjorn eNiro Taxi driver interview. Maybe not enough miles on the review loaners to manifest the problem?

I think your level of satisfaction with this car will also depend on your previous experience. If you're coming from a noisy ICE car, you may find this noise acceptable. I also drive a Chevrolet Bolt EV (Opel Ampera-E in Europe) and occasionally a Tesla Model 3 and e-Golf. Both have silent drivetrains in comparison so I had similar expectations from the Niro.
Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear about your experience. It is such a shame that this has occurred as it is really good car.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts