Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
321 - 340 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I tried some noise reduction and only put the bits for the squeak and amplified them. Can you hear anything at all or does analysis show anything? Sound is from 1 second to 3.
https://soundcloud.com/user-266677898%2Fe-niro-squeak-2
After a bit of work I've found by looking at consecutive 0.1 second periods that the component near 1 kHz appears to grow in amplitude and shows a small shift of frequency and then diminishes in level towards the end of the 3 second section.

Its of quite low level compared to the sound energy from road rumble and wind noise.
Compared to the clicking sounds of other Niros it doesn't seem to me to be significant at the moment and might be the sort of squeal that originates in a brake pad just rubbing on a disc.
I suggest that you see if it seems to change over the next few hundred miles or so.

·
Registered
505 Posts
After a bit of work I've found by looking at consecutive 0.1 second periods that the component near 1 kHz appears to grow in amplitude and shows a small shift of frequency and then diminishes in level towards the end of the 3 second section.

Its of quite low level compared to the sound energy from road rumble and wind noise.
Compared to the clicking sounds of other Niros it doesn't seem to me to be significant at the moment and might be the sort of squeal that originates in a brake pad just rubbing on a disc.
I suggest that you see if it seems to change over the next few hundred miles or so.
Has been happening from day 1 and for 1500 miles so doubt it will diminish. It is a lot louder than my mic can pick up. It is not the brake pads because it only happens when accelerating or using regen. It does not sound when coasting

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Has been happening from day 1 and for 1500 miles so doubt it will diminish. It is a lot louder than my mic can pick up. It is not the brake pads because it only happens when accelerating or using regen. It does not sound when coasting
The inverter does make a noise under load (jet turbine type noise) though your noise sounds too deep for that.
I'm assuming it's not that?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've looked at previous recordings of noise from Niros and they do seem to have a very small component at around 1 kHz, but noticeably they all seem to have much significant component at around 500 to 600 Hz which does not seem particularly evident in your recording. These other recordings were apparently made inside the car, or adjacent to the motor/ transmission parts, so the acoustic pickup could be rather different from the recording position that you've used.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi, I tried my best to record the squeak noise I get from the e-Niro when accelerating or regening. You need the volume pretty full to hear it but it is obvious and high pitched and does not sound normal. Only happens when applying power to motor or when regen. VESS is off.
Any thoughts?
Your problem is definitely not what this thread is about - a mechanical tapping/clicking noise from the motor or gearbox. I think the noise you are referring to is electrical in nature and most likely coming from the inverter. After my motor was swapped to fix the clicking at low speed, I can now hear the inverter more clearly than ever. On the Niro, it often produces a sort of chirping (like crickets) or high frequency ringing sound that appears and disappears depending on speed and regen use. Seems most obvious around 36 mph on my car and fades out at higher or lower speeds. Not something I've heard on other EVs which usually just have the constant whine that smoothly increases with speed. I don't think this is a defect but just a characteristic of the inverter design. It's tolerable compared to the focus of this thread. But I'm over 40 so my high frequency hearing is not as good as younger folks who may find it more bothersome.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
But I'm over 40 so my high frequency hearing is not as good as younger folks who may find it more bothersome.
More bothersome than the constant drone of a diesel lump? ;) You’re right though, I’ve heard quite a few people almost comically mention the electrical whine from my i3 as though it’s a major problem with electrical cars that they couldn’t live with:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
127 Posts
It all depends on what you're sensitive to and what you've been accustomed to over the years. ICE cars tend to produce a lower base sound while EVs sometimes make a higher frequency mosquito type buzzing or whining that many find more annoying. To each his own. The better designed EVs (like Tesla M3, Audi, Jaguar, eGolf, etc.) do a much better job at reducing these EV noises than the Niro or Kona but have other disadvantages (like range, space, price, etc.).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your problem is definitely not what this thread is about - a mechanical tapping/clicking noise from the motor or gearbox. I think the noise you are referring to is electrical in nature and most likely coming from the inverter. After my motor was swapped to fix the clicking at low speed, I can now hear the inverter more clearly than ever. On the Niro, it often produces a sort of chirping (like crickets) or high frequency ringing sound that appears and disappears depending on speed and regen use. Seems most obvious around 36 mph on my car and fades out at higher or lower speeds. Not something I've heard on other EVs which usually just have the constant whine that smoothly increases with speed. I don't think this is a defect but just a characteristic of the inverter design. It's tolerable compared to the focus of this thread. But I'm over 40 so my high frequency hearing is not as good as younger folks who may find it more bothersome.
Agree with this post. My Niro EV is up to around 1500 miles with no tapping yet. But I've had that chirping sound since I got the car. Pretty sure it's just how the car comes. It's tolerable to me as well - and I'm under 30.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Got the car back this morning and so far it's only been the run to work in standing traffic.

There is still a fair bit of tyre/road noise.
But no clicking, grinding, knocking etc coming from the motor.

Time will tell but I'll enjoy it for now

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro FE
90 Posts
This is Alex Kona Ultimate's recent post in the 'Kona Electric Drive Train - Funny Noise' thread. Seems this might be the solution.

To let you and the others know, I received a call yesterday (Dec. 5/19) from my Hyundai dealership; 4 weeks to the day I was asked to leave my car with them. I had been feeling quite depressed about not hearing anything substantial from the dealership for the better part of 4 weeks.
They wanted me to test drive my Kona EV, given that repairs had just been completed. The mechanic said that Hyundai had instructed him to access the motor's drive shaft; to rotate it precisely 180 degrees, and then reinstall it. He said he was skeptical, but did exactly as instructed. Although this was clearly a big job, he said it was the only change he made to my Kona EV.
We went on the test drive together, with me driving. Needless to say I was nearly speechless. . . the distracting clicking noise was indeed gone. I couldn't believe it, having endured 4 months of a progressively distracting clicking sound. My Kona EV was finally back to normal. The mechanic was likewise thrilled. He had learned a great deal from working on my EV, adding that he never thought he would one day be working on an electric car. He also said that all the big auto manufacturers were now devoting their full resources to the design and production of EVs.
My dealership will now have to submit a great deal of paperwork to Hyundai, to try and recover the costs for their considerable amount of time spent working on my EV.
Obviously, time will tell (probably within 3-4 months), whether this will be permanent fix.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Rotation fixed the issue for me for about 4 weeks & caused the issue you switch from a livable clicking on regen to the card in the spokes sound under load.

Had the new motor Inn just over a week & at its loudest now it's about the same as it's quietist days before.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
Is yours still making a noise then?
Mine is the same as any other Niro now. There's a slight whine mostly around 40mph but it seems that's the inverter and they are all a like noisy.

Edit. Read your post again and realise you haven't had it back long. I thought mine was a little clicky to start with around 38-50mph but it settled down after a few weeks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I paid for 72 hrs of Kia Tech Info. Attached is motor removal and replacement procedure. There is nothing about 180-degree or rotation specific installation. There is only mention of greasing drive shaft spline: "If grease coating is not applied, clanking noise may occur when shifting to P range, and may reduce the durability of the spline." -- this does not sound like our issue since it is not a shifting from D to P issue.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 455 Posts