Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 180 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning, bright and early, so that they could do whatever they need to do to stop the noise.

They asked if a manual courtesy car will do and I said no thank you, I prefer an automatic. They didn’t have one available, so I asked for the demonstrator. After some fiddling about, they gave it to me!

Here’s the funny part: as I drove it off the lot, the very same noise was coming from the demonstrator…

Two for two at that dealership it seems.
Yes the same with me, the noise on acceleration was intermittent on my car that has done only 2000 miles but permanent on the loaner Eniro I have that has done 4000+. Sounded like I almost have an engine while going away this weekend.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I kept saying all along that fixing this issue will require a redesign of the transmission and/or motor - hopefully a new motor revision will do it.
Is this "fixing this issue will require a redesign" from some certain engineering knowledge you have?
You may well be correct, but can you give us the background for this reasoning - or is it more of an intuitive idea?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is this "fixing this issue will require a redesign" from some certain engineering knowledge you have?
You may well be correct, but can you give us the background for this reasoning - or is it more of an intuitive idea?
I do have an electrical engineering degree but my conclusion is based mostly on the data I collected on this and other forums for the Niro and Kona. The number of people reporting the exact same issue is too high for it to be some random one-off defective part. Then you have to consider how many of those people have failed to get a permanent repair after having the car serviced (sometimes multiple times). The issue also wasn't there when new which tells me it's a progressive degradation of some sort which will likely hit more cars over time. Even dealer loaner/demo cars are now being reported with the problem. This is also my third EV so I have some experience on the sort of sounds they produce when operating properly. This is not normal for an electric motor.

Finally you now have Allandrick's report that his dealer confirmed he (along with 30 others) will be getting a new motor revision. Hopefully the new motor will fix the issue and not bring some other set of problems.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anyone heard if this problem was just a faulty batch or if it is likely to impact on all First Editions? I raised it with my dealer but they just said that they had no reported problems from cars delivered so far and that the demonstrator was fine (which to be fair has been the case whoever I have driven it).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, they most likely started using newer motors on at least some of the 2019 cars. Question is how can you find out what motor revision is in your car? Maybe when some of you get your defective motors swapped, you can ask for a part number?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Perhaps I am naïve, but I'm hoping that if a specific defect is identified, Kia will know which vehicles are affected and will either do a recall (if likely to cause further damage) or just issue a tech note and do replacements at a service. That would avoid unscheduled warranty work and allow costs to be spread out and parts availability to be planned properly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As I am picking my car up next week, I spoke to Kia (customer services) to ask them if this was a problem that had now been fixed. The person I spoke to said that the number of cars affected had not reached the level that meant that they (customer services) had been notified about the fault or it had been subject to a recall or technical note. When, I said that some had suggested as many as 30 cars could have been affected, the person said that they doubted the figure was that high and that now three waves of the cars had arrived, if there were problems then the Customer Services folk would have been made aware.
I was given the sort of reassurance you would expect ( dealer undertaking full pdi, including driving for 9 miles to check all ok). Also, if I experienced any problems, the dealer would look at the car and resolve to my satisfaction etc etc
I guess fingers crossed all will be ok.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Wow from inside the engine bay it really does sound like they have taken vess to far

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, the VESS on this car is the most annoying of any EV I've driven. You guys are lucky to have a button that allows you to toggle it off. No way to turn it off on models made for north american market. VESS hides a lot of the clicking noise so I hope my dealer will be able to hear it when I take it in for service.

For anyone who speaks French (or can use web translator), I found that video from this long thread with many owners complaining about noise issues with the e-Niro. There is another audio recording a couple posts down on same page. This is definitely not an isolated problem.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Have to say I don't mind it that much.
Wife says it sounds like the car is singing

I meant in the video the clicking almost sounds like a small ice revving

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
@Grant_H have you heard any more news on the new motor? I've just called and been told they are flying some over so they arrive quickly. It's meant to be here in about 10 days time.
I thought it would have been just as quick if they had added them to one of the normal car deliveries, they take about a month to get here from Korea from what I remembered reading when we were tracking the boats earlier in the year.
They could have put one in the boot of @dougconran Niro and it would have arrived nearly as quick

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I haven't heard anything although it was @Allandrick who was waiting on a new motor.

I've just passed 9000 miles so will be booking on for the 1st service when I'll bring it up that the initial fix hasn't held

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I haven't heard anything although it was @Allandrick who was waiting on a new motor.

I've just passed 9000 miles so will be booking on for the 1st service when I'll bring it up that the initial fix hasn't held

Ahh, thanks. I hadn't looked back through the posts to remind myself where things were at.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I checked in this morning - week to ten days for the new motor to arrive and can confirm it is being air freighted from Korea. 1-2 days to install once it arrives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had my car at the dealer a week ago and they refused to perform any repair for the noise. Dealer claimed they compared it to other Niros on the lot and they sounded pretty much the same so they said it's normal. I told them it didn't make this noise when I purchased the car but they didn't care. This is in USA. Looks like UK service is much better since they are at least trying to fix it.

Hopefully there will be some paperwork to confirm a different model number on these new motors compared to the original version. That would offer some proof that a fix for the issue might be available and I can push my dealer for new parts. Otherwise it looks like I'm stuck with this noise until I sell the car or KIA issues a recall.

161 - 180 of 247 Posts