Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
In two weeks' time, our new Zoe will arrive with just 5 miles on the clock :).
We are going to replace the tyres with all-season tyres as we do with all our cars.
This means we'll have a set of 4 effectively brand new tyres with probably <100 miles on them.
Any offers? Looking for around £150 for the lot, buyer collects or we can meet halfway if that makes sense...
Thanks
Richard

(ps Please no discussions about "We don't need all-season/winter tyres in this country" - experience, facts and tests prove that we should all be using all-season tyres, end of discussion.)

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Haha - seeing as you raised it ;)

they aren’t as good in displacing water (so prone to aquaplaning), aren’t as good as summers in summer nor as good as winters in winter ;)

but a good choice on the whole

where are you? (Or is it a secret haha)

JJ

·
Registered
845 Posts
Haha - seeing as you raised it ;)

they aren’t as good in displacing water (so prone to aquaplaning), aren’t as good as summers in summer nor as good as winters in winter ;)

but a good choice on the whole

where are you? (Or is it a secret haha)

JJ
Clicking on his profile

Lighthorne , Warwickshire

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Y'see, you say that, and yet:

Summer tyres only 6-8% better in wet conditions, tragically dangerous in the snow.

Winter tyres only 1-2% better in snow...

I think you might find all-season tyres have come on enormously over the last few years. They're now without doubt the right choice for the UK's temperature range.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
The winters are Tragically dangerous in Warwickshire ;)

not something I’d ever thought I’d hear

So full winters are only 2% better = winters in Russia are only 2% worse than Warwickshire ;)

tbh I’d keep them and swap back in the summer - you’ll reduce your stopping distance on the motorway by 10m (3 car lengths) taking your 8% better stat.

best for each condition no?

JJ

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yup, but remember they are compared to a very good summer tyre and very good winter tyre. Compared to any average tyre, the best all-season tyres are better in all conditions. Therefore a no-brainer for me :) I did rotate summer and winter tyres for years, having lived in Germany where it's illegal to drive in poor conditions in summer tyres, but now I just buy decent all-season tyres.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Interested in link to them - my Zoe is due new ones

I’ve never had any issues with snow etc in cars but if all weather are comparable and the softer compound doesn’t impact longevity I’d be tempted

JJ

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This should work:

Specifically I've put the Continental AllSeason Contact on our Kona Electric (slightly different size) and they're absolutely superb. Yet to be tested in snow, since we picked the car up in April, but quiet, smooth, grippy and economical. Other Kona owners are finding similar results with the Michelin CrossClimates+ as well, but they're about £10/tyre more expensive and came out no better in the tests.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for completeness, the tyres are now destined for @EVDriverP in a couple of weeks' time. Thanks :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts