Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I wonder if anyone would know why my brand new kona was collected from the dealer by Hyundai and taken to port for a recall on Friday just days before I was supposed to collect it. My dealer, Hyundai Platinum Trowbridge do not know why it has been taken, and have spent the last 48 hours trying to find out, and are still no wiser despite having escalated the query to the manufacturer.
I have checked on the gov.uk website and hyundai currently have two recalls, one to do with a brake malfunction and the other for battery issues, but certainly if it is new i would have thought the battery issue was for early models only, and the brake issue is a software problem that I would assume the dealership could sort?
Is there anyone with any knowledge of what this could be for, and any idea on timescales. I keep badgering the dealership but they do not even seem to have any idea.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,771 Posts
I reckon you suspect it's a battery replace ( ie some of the other recent Kona threads on here ) --- but yes it would be nice if the Dealership a) knew b) forewarned you about timescales, perhaps giving you a choice.

On the other positive hand, sounds like when you do get it, it won't be recalled for a battery replace

Or, the dealer realised something fell off at the port and they are trying to find it and re fit it

If your dealership has a charge point (some have 22kw posts) then next time you're speaking with them point out you expect it to be plumbed in and nearing full charge when you pick it up.
This also proves to you the charging subsystem actually works after whatever has been done to it at the port.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
No way it should be a battery replace! They fixed (supposedly) the problem on all Konas made after March 11 2020.

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reckon you suspect it's a battery replace ( ie some of the other recent Kona threads on here ) --- but yes it would be nice if the Dealership a) knew b) forewarned you about timescales, perhaps giving you a choice.

On the other positive hand, sounds like when you do get it, it won't be recalled for a battery replace

Or, the dealer realised something fell off at the port and they are trying to find it and re fit it

If your dealership has a charge point (some have 22kw posts) then next time you're speaking with them point out you expect it to be plumbed in and nearing full charge when you pick it up.
This also proves to you the charging subsystem actually works after whatever has been done to it at the port.
Thanks for that it had not even occurred to me to check that it was charging correctly. I have escalated my query myself by contacting hyundai head office and asking them to investigate what is happening and why, they have assured me that they will get back to me in the next 24 hours, so at least i should have an answer from someone. From having DNO issues with having charger fitted to this now, I had not realised so much was not as straight forward as it seems. You would have thought we would be better at handling these electric car needs by now.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have you heard anything more on this? I’ve got a Kona rental coming through Onto which has also been delayed, and I’m worried it might be for the same reason.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whatever the issue is you should demand a CASH refund for a portion of the sum of money you paid because they broke the contact with you and that cant fly.
As far as the battery replacement since its a brand new one and was probably made in the Czech Republic with a different battery manufacturer it should not need a battery replacement.
whatever the issue is - make em pay for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you heard anything more on this? I’ve got a Kona rental coming through Onto which has also been delayed, and I’m worried it might be for the same reason.
I have been told it is for battery replacement, but no idea why as it was manufactured month 5 of 2020 so would not be part of the recall i would have thought. Hyundai head office have still not gotten back to me with any information despite it being into the third day now, I have the dealer trying to source another as still no update on timescale. Quite frankly I am a little bit disappointed in the lack of information coming back to me.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Strewth! The info we had before, from Hyundai commercial site apparently, said Konas mfr'd from May 2 2018 to March 13 2020. Yours must be about the very last of the affected ones, sadly.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
I have been told it is for battery replacement, but no idea why as it was manufactured month 5 of 2020 so would not be part of the recall i would have thought.
Maybe there were a few battery packs left over from the earlier known faulty units still being installed after the March 2020 date?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it really was manufactured a year ago and has been sitting around unused since then, it may be a good thing to get a new battery! Do you think Covid could have caused such long shipping delays?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Perhaps container ship held to ransom by pirates in Indian Ocean? Then stuck in Suez Canal after release? God knows...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Perhaps container ship held to ransom by pirates in Indian Ocean? Then stuck in Suez Canal after release? God knows...
Unless they decided to take the World sightseeing route there is no reason to take a car from Czechia down to Africa and then around Europe to get a car from Czechia to the UK.
Pretty crazy waiting a year for a car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Unless they decided to take the World sightseeing route there is no reason to take a car from Czechia down to Africa and then around Europe to get a car from Czechia to the UK.
Pretty crazy waiting a year for a car.
All RHD Kona Electrics are made in Korea. Only LHD cars are built in Czech Republic.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have been told it is for battery replacement, but no idea why as it was manufactured month 5 of 2020 so would not be part of the recall i would have thought. Hyundai head office have still not gotten back to me with any information despite it being into the third day now, I have the dealer trying to source another as still no update on timescale. Quite frankly I am a little bit disappointed in the lack of information coming back to me.
That‘s quite concerning as mine was built in week 1 of May 2020 and I assumed mine would not be affected,

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
have been told it is for battery replacement
12v or HV?

The fact that they don't trust the dealerships to do whichever one is telling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all, I had another update yesterday, all the new unsold 2020 konas are being recalled, they do not have a battery available to change the HV battery in mine, it is going to be months before one was available, so my order has now been changed to the 2021 ultimate model Kona, still 64kwh, the only downside is no heat pump, however you are supposed to get about 20 miles extra range. New one should be with me in 2 to 3 weeks. They are not being very open about why the battery is being changed.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
That‘s quite concerning as mine was built in week 1 of May 2020 and I assumed mine would not be affected,
I remember seeing pictures of airfields car parks and fields of cars being stored as no one was buying during the first pandemic lockdown. A lot of ‘new’ cars I suspect are new old stock with an earlier build date?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts