Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my brand new Mazda MX-30 yesterday, and went to charge it for the first time today. I tried to plug in the charger plug in to the car, but it won't lock. I initially thought it was the different charger points I went to, but after speaking to another EV owner, and him having a look at the problem, he said that the car locking pins are not going into the plug, to lock it in place, to then charge up the car. I came home to see if there was a "knack" to it, but have found none. Extremely frustrated, as this is my very first EV, it's only day 2, and I can't charge it up!!! Dealer dint show us how to charge it, just simply said it was easy, straightforward, and to follow the handbook for more info.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm could be doing wrong, or could it be an issue with the car itself. I am totally stumped, only have 55% battery, and it the only car in our household. Any help or advice gladly welcomed. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,460 Posts
There's a knack with some. Is there a button to open the charge flap or is it a push on the outside type one? Car generally has to be unlocked with the latter type as opening the car retracts the pin.

If the socket is very new it sometimes takes a small shove to get the plug in properly to begin with. My Zoe was a bit fussy. Get the entry angle slightly wrong and it would lock the pin too soon so it wasn't plugged in properly.

Are there any indicator lights or error messages? Is the charge timer on or is it set to charge immediately?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Another thing, may sound obvious, but some cars only lock the charge port when they detect both ends of the cable connected. So make sure it's plugged firmly into the charger...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a push to open flap. I've tried plugging in all different ways, doors lock, doors open then locked. Ive pushed the plug, I've wiggled the plug - nothing! There are indicator lights to show stages of charging or if there is an issue, but not lighting up at all, and nothing coming up on dash to indicate car charging or not. The timer is not on - I checked that, and it is definitely not on timer. I've checked the Mazda App, nothing happening via that. So I am completely confused and have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Every car has its own quirks. With my B250e for instance you had to press the unlock button on the fob when you wanted to plug in, which unlatched the locking pin, otherwise the port would be "blocked" by the pin. It would then remain unlocked for a period of time, before it would relock and try to charge.

Other cars might only lock the port and start charging when you lock the car itself. The manual should detail any specifics, i'm not at all familiar with the MX30.

Its also worth trying a different type of charger. For instance if you've been trying a public charger with a type2 cable, try the granny lead at home instead, or find someone local with an EV and try their home charger. It could be a faulty cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This issue seems to be with our car. When I tried the charge point in town, my cable locked to it, but the plug wouldn't lock on my car. Neither my own cable nor the charge point cable will lock in the my car port.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every car has its own quirks. With my B250e for instance you had to press the unlock button on the fob when you wanted to plug in, which unlatched the locking pin, otherwise the port would be "blocked" by the pin. It would then remain unlocked for a period of time, before it would relock and try to charge.

Other cars might only lock the port and start charging when you lock the car itself. The manual should detail any specifics, i'm not at all familiar with the MX30.

Its also worth trying a different type of charger. For instance if you've been trying a public charger with a type2 cable, try the granny lead at home instead, or find someone local with an EV and try their home charger. It could be a faulty cable.
I've tried the granny lead, tried the type 2 cable. The public charging point cables wouldn't lock either. I've tried to "lock" the cable in every combo of locking car etc. The MX-30 manual is hopeless, as it doesn't tell you what to do in this situation!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
130 Posts
Check there is no set charge timers on in the car, it will only charge at set times etc. The Ioniq 28kWh does this by default if you don't turn off the schedule timers, doesn't even lock the charger in until it's time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How far away is the dealer? I'd be tempted to go over to them and get them to prove it's ok.
That is my intention tomorrow. However, they charged it up for me, before I picked it up yesterday, so I know that the car can charge up. It has to be something I'm not doing, but I haven't got a clue what tho!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check there is no set charge timers on in the car, it will only charge at set times etc. The Ioniq 28kWh does this by default if you don't turn off the schedule timers, doesn't even lock the charger in until it's time.
I checked the scheduled timer in the car EV settings, and all the settings are blank.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm not familiar with MX 30, would quite like to be. According to owners manual, section 3:11. Your description of dash lights suggests cars ready for a charge. So, just to check, gear lever in park? Motor off? The only other thing from manual is that you may have to disable scheduled charging even if no timers set. Disable from main screen. Must be frustrating for you. My first attempt to charge m Zoe failed, ( four years ago). Faulty public charge point, but worrying at the time. Alternatively try setting a scheduled charge, see what happens. Plug should lock in as charge starts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is my intention tomorrow. However, they charged it up for me, before I picked it up yesterday, so I know that the car can charge up. It has to be something I'm not doing, but I haven't got a clue what tho!
I'm not familiar with MX 30, would quite like to be. According to owners manual, section 3:11. Your description of dash lights suggests cars ready for a charge. So, just to check, gear lever in park? Motor off? The only other thing from manual is that you may have to disable scheduled charging even if no timers set. Disable from main screen. Must be frustrating for you. My first attempt to charge m Zoe failed, ( four years ago). Faulty public charge point, but worrying at the time. Alternatively try setting a scheduled charge, see what happens. Plug should lock in as charge starts.
Car now at dealers, and they are going to try and figure out what is wrong. Am back to a petrol Mazda 3 for the time being! Hopefully, dealer will figure out the issue. Disappointed and frustrated to say the least.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,460 Posts
Car now at dealers, and they are going to try and figure out what is wrong. Am back to a petrol Mazda 3 for the time being! Hopefully, dealer will figure out the issue. Disappointed and frustrated to say the least.
Hopefully they will be able to sort it out or replace the car if they can't.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yup, don't be afraid to use your consumer rights. You can reject the new car and they will either be obliged to refund you or replace it with an identical model. This applies within the 30 days even without allowing them to repair. After 30 days but before 6 months the dealer must be given one opportunity to repair, but you can reject after that too, if the repair isn't satisfactory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update
Car was in at dealership from Sun-Tues, and their service dept had a look for the problem. Turns out it was not something I was, or was not, doing. It was an issue with the car's computer. There was an error which was causing the lock to not engage in the charging port. They have carried out a patch, and also charged my car up, while they had it. I needed to do a charge on the car this evening, and all went well. So all is fine, so far. I'm just relieved it was not something I was or wasn't doing.
Thanks to all for the advice and what to check etc. Here's hoping I have trouble free motoring going forward! 👍🏼

1 - 18 of 18 Posts