Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It looks like someone got into my model 3 last night.

Center storage areas were ransacked and items left on the seat, but nothing was taken (the only things in there was a face mask and my glasses).

So, the car should have been locked (Walk away door locks).

Sentry mode was not activated, I believe this is different to the alarm?

I do not believe the alarm activated (no notifications on the app - is there any history of alarms sounded)

So the questions are:
How did they get into the car?
And did I do anything wrong?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Was it parked outside your house?

Maybe they used a relay attack.

I would turn off passive entry and certainly enable pin-to-drive.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
The word should. Are you sure you have passive locking set for all profiles. I suspect it didn't actually lock or you accidentally unlocked in the app (aka bum unlock). There is currently no known exploit for the Model 3 BLE phone key (regular relay hack does not work) nor NFC card key, so must be a simpler explanation.

You could try raising an issue in the app giving time you "locked" and time you found open and ask for events during that time. They were helpful when we had a weird NOA issue (bad lane change abort) in USA.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Tesla Assist can access the logs, I believe. That might shine some light on it.

I assumed you had a key fob.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.

I will give Tesla a call and see if they can access anything.

There is no keyfob for the model 3, so it wouldn't have been a relay attack.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You might not have one, but they do exist.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
There is if you buy one. :)

Sounds like user error then. Maybe one of the doors wasn't shut properly, but the would-be thief closed it for you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have noticed that my car doesn't always lock when I walk away from it but this is extremely rare. I'd say, as a rough estimate, this has happened about 5% of the time. So I always have the setting on where it gives a short honk to indicate that it's locked when I walk away. Gives me piece of mind.

So while the walk away lock feature is convenient, unfortunately it isn't full proof. I suspect this is what may have happened in your situation. But it's very fortunate that nothing of value was stolen, or worse, your car was taken. Pin to drive is definitely a must. Hope you manage to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You need to get a good USB adapter and large Micro SD card installed for Sentry & Dashcam asap. :)
Sentry mode is great for when someone damages your car (intentionally or not) but I do wonder how useful it is if someone breaks into it. All they have to do is take the memory stick and you have no footage.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Sentry mode is great for when someone damages your car (intentionally or not) but I do wonder how useful it is if someone breaks into it. All they have to do is take the memory stick and you have no footage.
Footage gets sent to Tesla as well.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Also check that the setting for disabling Sentry mode when parked at home hasn't been activated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Footage gets sent to Tesla as well.
I just did a quick Google search and it appears you're right. If you've given Tesla permission, they will store sentry mode footage for up to 72 hours, which is good :D But only of those that triggered the car alarm. Either way, good to know there's a backup if your memory stick gets stolen.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just did a quick Google search and it appears you're right. If you've given Tesla permission, they will store sentry mode footage for up to 72 hours, which is good :D But only of those that triggered the car alarm. Either way, good to know there's a backup if your memory stick gets stolen.
Wow, I didn't know this.
Tesla need to expand the mobile app functions so that when a event is triggered, it allows you to remote watch the feed.
Also they could expand this further by allowing remote camera viewing when using Summon modes etc. :D
Cloud Storage subscription options would be a good revenue earner for them too....
The possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Tesla need to expand the mobile app functions so that when a event is triggered, it allows you to remote watch the feed.
I think there was talk of this.

Also, the ability to transmit voice that get played through the car's audio.

"Hello little scroat, I'm watching you!"

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
A few years ago I designed and built a stand-alone alarm box using IR to trigger a latching and timed reset relay that energised a looped and heavily amplified voice recording that yelled " DANGER -DANGER - Fire alert. The entire building will be purged of oxygen by inert gas starting in 30, 29, 28 ..etc seconds. DANGER EVACUATE EVACUATE."

The box contained a 12v car battery with a mains inverter, IR trigger, relay, timer, amplifier, and an ancient cassette from the pile of stuff that will come in one day. I did consider attaching a disco type smoke generator but reasoned that the burglar would not hang around long enough to observe it working.

The entire boxed contraption could be placed anywhere to protect any vulnerable indoor entry or walkway and caught me many more times than any scroat attempting entry.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Glitter bomb. This is the modern way.
Well yes. But as I fell into my own trap more times than I care to think about the clean-up would have rapidly become tiresome indoors. A mate suggested a shotgun type crow scarer blank cartridge device but I declined.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi,

It looks like someone got into my model 3 last night.

Center storage areas were ransacked and items left on the seat, but nothing was taken (the only things in there was a face mask and my glasses).

Sentry mode was not activated, I believe this is different to the alarm?

I do not believe the alarm activated (no notifications on the app - is there any history of alarms sounded)

So the questions are:
How did they get into the car?
And did I do anything wrong?
Once i managed to press the passenger rear window open button while getting out. Kind of hit the button with the heal of my hand as i opened the door. Could it have been that? were any windows open?

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
I have noticed that my car doesn't always lock when I walk away from it but this is extremely rare. I'd say, as a rough estimate, this has happened about 5% of the time. So I always have the setting on where it gives a short honk to indicate that it's locked when I walk away. Gives me piece of mind.
We have set for honk in UK on Model 3 as that is usual mode of operation of cars in USA. Technically probably illegal late at night in UK, but our neighbours aren't near so no disruption.

For info, the keyfob for Model 3 is also BLE so not subject to current relay vulnerabilities. It also has NFC capability for paring and key card style backup entry.

Reactions: Riz_Neo and cah197
1 - 20 of 30 Posts