Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 20
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the EV world, just wondering if anyone knows the best breakdown cover? Preferably want the assurance in case I do run out of battery I can get to at least the nearest charger.

Thanks

Ronan

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
526 Posts
Hi,

New to the EV world, just wondering if anyone knows the best breakdown cover? Preferably want the assurance in case I do run out of battery I can get to at least the nearest charger.

Thanks

Ronan
If you bought new then check whether breakdown cover is included. I know it is with Hyundai as a bonus while you get the car serviced with them. I had reason to call out the AA via them when my 12v failed one morning - though having had the battery update done I don't expect that problem again anytime soon.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
340 Posts
This is worth a look.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,105 Posts
Kia comes with 1 year RAC breakdown cover. I'm sure mine does. It is free of charge, but the documentation was so vague, I could not even find a phone to put in my mobile.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,363 Posts
Kia comes with 1 year RAC breakdown cover. I'm sure mine does. It is free of charge, but the documentation was so vague, I could not even find a phone to put in my mobile.
It'll most likely be the standard RAC callout number.
If you need to call, then you should tell them that your membership came with the car.
If it's at all like my bank-provided AA membership, it's the cheapest level offered.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,105 Posts
It'll most likely be the standard RAC callout number.
If you need to call, then you should tell them that your membership came with the car.
If it's at all like my bank-provided AA membership, it's the cheapest level offered.
Thanks for reminding me, I was planning to read through it again. It might have been that the phone number was Kia, which I'm assuming would dispatch RAC... as I said, I need to read it again and sort it out for myself. Which I think would be the best advice to the OP as well.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,703 Posts
One thing to bear in mind with the manufacturer provided ones, is that if you need recovery they'll usually only recover you to a manufacturer main dealer. Doesn't mean they're not useful, just bear in mind ;)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
74 Posts
Is it worth paying for recovery? (I can’t work out whether they cover running out of power - the main concern in an ev)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,105 Posts
Is it worth paying for recovery? (I can’t work out whether they cover running out of power - the main concern in an ev)
I would not worry about running out of electrons, more than I would about running out of juice in an ICE. :unsure:

And some of the major orgs, e.g. RAC, already have a handy generator on their vehicles.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
74 Posts
Thanks. Well, I generally don’t in the mighty Leaf but I was building my own roadside recovery quote and it made me think whether it was worth purchasing. I suppose it’s peace of mind.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
356 Posts
Just renewed my regular car insurance with LV. I dropped the breakdown cover because for all but the last 6 weeks of the insurance period I will have cover anyway with Kia via RAC and its decent rescue and recovery cover.

However, its interesting to note that LV provide additonal benefits as standard to EV drivers, including flatbed recovery to the nearest charger in the event of running out of power and cover for damage or loss to your home charging equipment including cables. I was going to switch because Churchill's quote on confused.com was 30 quid cheaper but hesitated because I liked the idea of LVs additional benefits, but in the end LV offered a discount and beat that quote anyway, so all good.

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
48 Posts
Thanks for reminding me, I was planning to read through it again. It might have been that the phone number was Kia
I got a letter from the RAC ~ 2 weeks after buying the car - this gave the (RAC) nos as:
Breakdown:0333 202 1827
European: 00 3347 243 5255
Customer services: 0333 202 2990
Also got a key fob with the numbers.

There is what i assume is a kia number for 'kia first' for accident recovery where they deal with your insurer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts