Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You will need a Green Card if you are driving to any of the following:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers, guaranteeing that the motorist has the necessary minimum motor insurance cover for driving in the country being travelled to.

You will need a Green Card to travel anywhere within the EU plus various other countries unless the UK and EU reach a deal. You will need this from the date the UK leaves the EU.

Please note that a Green Card does not change your Insurance cover, it’s evidence of the most basic legal minimum cover. If you want to extend this to have the same level of cover you have in the UK, you should contact us to discuss whether you need a foreign use extension, for which there may be a charge. When you buy a foreign use extension this will automatically include a Green Card.

You need one Green Card for every car you take into the countries listed above.

EU GB number plates will no longer be valid. These are plates with a “GB” country identifier (or other UK variations, e.g. Cymru) surrounded by the EU star design. You will need to have a GB (or other UK variation) sticker or a number plate without the EU stars.

If you hire a vehicle in the UK and drive it abroad, you will need the permission of the hirer and a Green Card from the vehicle’s insurers.

If you plan on flying abroad and hiring a car when you’re there, then you won’t normally need a Green Card: for instance, if you’re in Spain and travel to Portugal or France. You may still require an International Driving Permit though. However, if you hire a car in the Republic of Ireland and travel to Northern Ireland then you would need a Green Card.

Because many passports may now need updating, you should allow extra time.
Check a passport for travel to Europe

The European Health Insurance Card allows holders to get reciprocal healthcare at the same terms as nationals of that country – this doesn’t necessarily mean free of charge. It’s likely that EHIC will cease to be valid so it’s especially important to buy travel insurance. If you do have any existing medical conditions, it’s important to discuss them with your insurer.

The Pet Passport scheme may be ending for UK holders, and it’s a good idea to speak to your vet at least four months before you intend to travel.
Pet travel to Europe after Brexit

It’s a good idea to speak to your breakdown provider to check you have cover for taking your car to Europe.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
UK has run out of the international driving permits so you won't be able to drive legally anyway if you don't have one yet.

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Democracy may not give you all that you want, but it does allow decision making without bloodshed. When you promote the overthrow of democracy, you bring us closer to that bloodshed.
I have an open mind on the whole business - I suppose it is because I do not understand it, or its implications Andy.
I have not been able to find anyone who can explain why they voted one way or the other?:(
Have you?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Democracy may not give you all that you want, but it does allow decision making without bloodshed. When you promote the overthrow of democracy, you bring us closer to that bloodshed.
I am not going to get into this false argument.

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Stephen Hawking:-
He still hadn’t accepted Brexit was a good idea, saying he was “sad” about the result and noting that British scientists were already being frozen out of European projects. But he advocated making the “best of the hand you are dealt” and trying to understand why the British people made the choices they did. He argued Britain must change its attitude to wealth – particularly the “failure to divide it more fairly.

Who am I to comment?

·
870 Posts
To add to the list of extra things to be mindful of when driving abroad in the near future, be aware that mobile roaming charges could come back, so consider topping credit up if you are pay as you go, or be prepared non payg for a bigger bill than otherwise on your return.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I don't want that either. Wasn't sure if you were being inflammatory or tongue-in-cheek, but thought it was worth giving a fairly moderate reply to. :)
I have an inflammatory tongue..! And if that’s moderate I wouldn’t like to see your wild side.

See you across the barricades on Saturday :p

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you live in the EU you need to exchange your driving licence. It's too late to do it now, better hope for an extension.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Some Post Offices had. There were quite a few people saying they couldn't get one.

International Driving Permit | Post Office

We’re aware that some of the 2500 branches across the UK providing International Driving Permits (IDPs) have seen high demand this week, and we’re sorry to anyone who has been unable to purchase an IDP at their chosen branch. We’d like to reassure customers that we have plenty IDPs in stock and we have been providing branches with extra supplies this week – branches will have received this by 2 April.

Don’t forget that IDPs for EU countries are not currently required, and may only be needed after 12th April in the event of a no deal Brexit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts